Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of digital/remote thermometer w/ probes do you use?

Options
anton
anton Posts: 1,813
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have done a little research on them, but would like to hear from you fellow Eggheads the types and names that you use and find what suits me. I am not looking for a pit controller yet, just some recommendations on a thermometer system with a grate and meat probe, preferably wireless/ bluetooth, if such animal exists, thank you in advance.
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm watching this one as well. I think it's about time I come out of the Stone Age. Been considering a pit controller for unit 1 and a remote thermometer as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The Mav 733 is fine, better probes than the 732. Range is excellent, mine works anywhere within about 200 feet. 
    Anywhere between $50 and $80. 

You can set grid and food temps, the 733 offers suggested food temps based on type of meat, the 732 uses just a temp. The 732 is also a timer, 

The Thermoworks 8060 is super accurate and will work at almost any egg temp - but it does not remote the temps. 

The iGrill is bluetooth, no experience on my part. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a DigiQ2. It's a pit controller & meat thermometer. I haven't had any probe trouble. I don't use it much, but it's nice to have a layer of comfort when away from the egg doing an overnight. If I was to do it over, I would get the CyberQ. It notifies you if there's a problem and you can control it remotely with a smartphone.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have the Maverick 733. I am very pleased with it and did not break the bank.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've only used my iGrill 2 once. My only complaint is the app needs to be more user friendly. The link below lists what I know so far.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173261/igrill-2-finally-arrived#latest
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The night I decided I was thru with overnights (couple of years ago) all that stuff went out. Now only doing turbos they are not needed, and I sleep. No wires at all now. Do have and use two Theropens.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'm slowing down now that the egg is covered in snow. I have lots of lump to burn, and therefore more incentive to monitor from afar. Will be in charge of the turkey next week and still stone age tools for monitoring temp, my OXO digital "instant" read I bought for $20. (Apparently "instant" means "give it a minute")

I am intrigued by @stemc33 post on the iGrill, because my phone is surgically attached to me. 

My first wired past the gasket thermometer lasted exactly 10 seconds, returned to Home Depot and never bought another. 

It's a luxury item, IMHO, I am fine with my iPhone timer to remind me to walk out and check an occasional dome temp/vent adjust.  Now that it's really cold out, my greatest fear for Thanksgiving is having that fire go out, and then I have to remove a turkey, grate, plate setter, light and reinstall while the turkey shivers in the cold. All that might happen while the game is on. (Horror)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I've had a Maverick 732 for over a year. I've had no problems with it. I have wrapped the first foot of the probe wire with thermo shield tape as a precaution. I use it 4 to 6 times a month. No issues. I haven't checked the range yet, nor have I had the need use the alarm. I checked calibration last week & both probes are within 2 degrees of water boiling point. I like to know the grid temperature verses the dome temp. 
    I use a Thermopen as the final internal temp check.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    My main concern right now is dome vs grate temps, and the ability to have a probe for meat temp as well, I think I will enjoy the ability to read temp without opening and thermopenning all the time. These are great reviews, keep them coming please! Thanks to all the above posters.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    I've had a Maverick ET-732 for almost two years. Easy on the wallet and has worked flawlessly.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Anton -- I've got the 733 and been using it pretty regularly. The probes differ from each other by 4 degrees. It's nice to be able to watch the grid temperature. For the grid temp the unit lets you set high and low alarm temps so you know if you've gone out of range either way.

It has preset food temps but you can set your own - perfect for pulling early for a reverse sear.

Battery life has been fine, haven't had to change yet. Range is excellent. I avoided Bluetooth units so I can't compare but I find Bluetooth annoying in general.

Setting it is a little cumbersome so don't lose the directions but after doing it a few times it's fine.

Summertime - nice to sit by the egg with a beer and watch the temps. Wintertime - I'm staying inside!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • FarmerTom
    Options

anton   .  I have only had my egg for about a year now, but can really see the benefit of a Maverick.  I don't yet care to have the cook remotely controlled, As you said, I would simply like to be able to monitor the temps without having to make all those trips back and forth to the egg, and near the end, not have to open and close the top so much to check IT. Considering the season that is upon us, I have dropped plenty of hints as to how I would like to have one of these. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I am a simple man and do not desire all the bells and whistles.  If I have time to hang around, I use nothing.  If I don't and I use the Maverick 733 and the BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design).  It works pretty good for my needs. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Love the digiq dx2. $300 well spent even though its used once or twice a month. When its used real nice and easy.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    anton said:
    My main concern right now is dome vs grate temps, and the ability to have a probe for meat temp as well, I think I will enjoy the ability to read temp without opening and therm ... all the time. ...
    Oh anton, you are going down the wrong path ... please stop.

Surely you've heard the old saying that "a man with two watches doesn't know what time it is" ... yes?  Not knowing what time it is isn't a really big deal, but throw a $100 piece of meat on the egg and then not know which temp is correct ... add in the fact that company is coming soon and that's a high anxiety situation.  Much better to only have one temp available ... even if it's wrong, one doesn't know that and simply whistles happily while the meat cooks.

I use a Maverick 732 and my son has a Maverick 733.  Both units are good.  If mine quits, I'll probably replace it with another 732 ... sometimes less is more.

On the last cook, the grid temp varied +/- about 30 degrees while the dome temp only varied +/- about 10 degrees. That has me wondering if the air temp inside the dome is as constant and evenly distributed as I assumed.  If the air inside the dome is turbulent, then a slow reading thermometer (BGE dome probe?) would be a better indicator of the average temperature than a fast reading thermometer (electronic unit?) that more closely follows the swirling drafts. 

If the above is true, then the internal firmware in the DigiQ must be programed to average the temp reading over time and not react to rapid temp swings.     

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Durangler said:
    ... wrapped the first foot of the probe wire with thermo shield tape as a precaution. ...
    Would you mind sharing a name/link to what you're using.  Probes are really a consumable item ... not a "for life" part.  Any protection you can give will only prolong their life, so I'm interested in what you're using.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I built my own pit controller using Auber PID controllers.  I bought 3 PIDS, one for the Pit controller and two more for temperature readers.  If/when I get another egg, I can reconfigure and make one of the temperature PIDs a pit controller.

Fun project... Auber even provides the PID settings in the user manual for the PIDs.  That being said, I didn't save a lot of money by doing it myself, but I am happy with the end result and suits my needs.  It also is not blue-tooth nor wifi,  you need your Mark-1 eyeball to check the pit and food temp.

The auber probes are actually K-type thermocouples, and have lasted for 3 years of  weekly use.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2014
    Options
    anton said:
    My main concern right now is dome vs grate temps, and the ability to have a probe for meat temp as well, I think I will enjoy the ability to read temp without opening and thermopenning all the time. These are great reviews, keep them coming please! Thanks to all the above posters.
    :-bd
    I use the food probe the least, either the 732 or the 733. I do use it for large cuts, butts and roasts. The grid temp is a really nice to have, seldom read the dome thermo. With the remote capability, you can set an alarm range for the pit temp, high and low. I don't have to walk out to the Egg/Weber to check the temp, it is right in my pocket and if it drifts out of range it lets me know. 

Dome is always higher than grid on indirects for at least the first few hours. On directs - don't use the pit temp probes unless it is an 8060 - you will shorten the probe life, even wrapped in foil. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have the Digi-Q, a dual probe Maverick, a Single Probe unit, and a new unit made for Rotisseries.

I use them all
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• MongoMn
    Options
    I use the wireless one from BGE.  Granted, I'm very new to this - but I've done several cooks with it and it's very handy.  Gives me the grill and meat temperature.  
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I've had the Maverick 732 for a couple years, worked great until a helpful dinner guest put the probes to soak during clean-up. 
    The Mrs replaced with a 733, that I did like, but honestly didn't need to have 2 food, or 2 grate probes. used about a dozen times without issue.

Now working with the Stoker, and I'm surprised how thin those wires are. did 3 cooks with them, and so far, great. 

IMHO The big thing to extend the life of the probes is to keep the ends where the wires go in dry.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Maverick 733.  Resisted it, but now love using it for the big cuts of meat on my low and slow cooks. No more guessing, no more looking (and when you're lookin' you ain't cookin'!).

Not a huge fan of the red backlighting.  Also, I have a terrible time, every time, figuring out how to set it.  Because I'm a moron, maybe?  Lots of lots of pressing and beeping before I get the meat to scroll.  More pressing and beeping before I get the 2 different temps set.  I get there, but it sure takes longer than it should.  (Wish I could say that about some other things . . .)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have a Mav 732 and a PartyQ.
    Different types of uses, and both very good.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Maverick 733.  Resisted it, but now love using it for the big cuts of meat on my low and slow cooks. No more guessing, no more looking (and when you're lookin' you ain't cookin'!).

Not a huge fan of the red backlighting.  Also, I have a terrible time, every time, figuring out how to set it.  Because I'm a moron, maybe?  Lots of lots of pressing and beeping before I get the meat to scroll.  More pressing and beeping before I get the 2 different temps set.  I get there, but it sure takes longer than it should.  (Wish I could say that about some other things . . .)
    I'm an electronic engineer, and I find the Mavericks to not be intuitively user friendly.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I use the Maverick ET-732. It has a pit probe and a meat probe. You can program it to alert you when it reaches set temps. The range is best out there. I've been down the street at a neighbors house and could still pick up my temps. 

I have used bluetooth thermometers as well. The range is terrible. I tossed it. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I use the maverick 733. So far no issues, but as stated above, set up is cumbersome and I had to refer back to the instructions several times.
  • Baine
    Baine Posts: 19
    Options
    I use a thermapen and previously had a TW8060 
    (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html) . The handheld part was stole in a home invasion along with three budlights and a jar of pennies..seirously

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use the Maverick ET-732. It has a pit probe and a meat probe. You can program it to alert you when it reaches set temps. The range is best out there. I've been down the street at a neighbors house and could still pick up my temps. 

Of the Mavericks, is the 732 the best unit?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    I use an igrill it has a pit grill probe and a meat probe and it bluetooths to my iPad/iPhone
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    SGH said:

Of the Mavericks, is the 732 the best unit?
    I don't know about "BEST" unit, but it has lasted longer than any other unit that I've tried. I did have to replace a probe, but I think that was my fault...