Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip tonight . . . marinade? or no?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
My first attempt at Tri-Tip tonight.  Figured I will put some dry rub on and reverse sear.  I understand that the grains on this beefy speciman are unusual, so I will make sure to slice against the grain(s).  I plan on serving it with some mashed potatoes and some steamed broccoli.

My Question . . . should I Marinade?  If so, any favorite Marinades for Tri-Tip? 
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I really like Santa Maria style...very light dry rub and baste as cooking with a mixture of EVOO and either red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar (Google for recipe). Amazing ribs.com has good article on how to cook and slice a trip-tip. You'll love it, very tasty.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • NDG
    Options
    Completely forgot that I had (2) good bookmarks saved for Tri-Tip . . . I think I am set!  Sorry to post before checking, but here are my two links in case someone pulls my stupid post up later:

or

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    But thanks @cparktx !
    Columbus, OH

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I've never tried tri-tip yet. When I was cooking at Moonbow Eggfest, the folks next to me were egging some though....awesome !!!!  I plan on trying it soon.

Bookmarked!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Santa Maria is a home run.  Wish I could take credit for it but happy to pass it along.  Next time I'll take pictures.  Good luck!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NDG
    Options
    Yea I have never made it before either . .  after reviewing the (2) bookmarks above, this is what I am stealing  going with. 

I will try to update later with pics . . . 

TRI-TIP COOKING:

I smoke mine at 250 until 130-135 and pull and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes uncovered. Let the egg come up to 500-600 and brush some melted garlic and butter over it and sear the heck out of it. Tri-tip medium is best between 140-145. I spill a little butter garlic on the cutting board and rest the meat on top and slice it thinly across the grain. Unbeatable.

Chimichurri

• Bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley
    • Bunch of Cilantro
    • 2-3 garlic cloves
    • Dash of red wine vinegar
    • 1/2 cup or so olive oil
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • Lime Juice
    Throw that in a cuisinart and you're set.  Takes about 5 minutes.

Columbus, OH

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Great cut, favourite around our house. Reverse sear is a good choice. Either in the sous vide or very low temp smoke then seared. 

This video is one of the best I've seen to explain the grain of the typical roast. 
    Good Luck, Enjoy. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NDG
    Options
    Turned out really reallly good!  My wife gave it two thumbs up - so Tri-Tip is now here to stay!

Columbus, OH

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome!!  Glad it worked out for ya.  It's one of my families favorites.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it. What internal temp did you cook until? I was gonna sau 140-145 is a tad high IMO. Yours looks about 130-135 to my eyes :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    Options
    Thanks @GATraveller.       
    @SmokeyPitt . . I pulled just before 135 - if you were an X-MAN your special skill would be the Meat Eye - nice call.
    Columbus, OH

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    NDG said:
    Thanks @GATraveller.       
    @SmokeyPitt . . I pulled just before 135 - if you were an X-MAN your special skill would be the Meat Eye - nice call.

=))

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CapnKirk
    Options
    When in California (Pre-BGE) my neighbors would beg me to grill tri-tip...Costco always had some beauties 2 to a package....rubbed em up and marinated in Mr Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce for at least 2 hours....It's some great stuff....Now with the Egg I have done em twice since moving to Texas....same prep but way different ending...Gotta love the Eggs...