Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron - What is it?

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
My wife called today and said she was at a local discount store and there was this cast iron thing for $5, did I want it?
I said sure, why not. 

Here it is, I'm not sure what it is. No markings, I'm sure it's cheap and not high quality. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe cut the handle off and use it on the small for fajitas, etc. Any thoughts?

Any input as to what it's actually called? I think it's a comal, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance,

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    It's a griddle! I use mine for pancakes all the time. Fajitas would be great too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    good score! it is a griddle, have furn with it 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    As said above, it's a round griddle. Nice score!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Griddle. Newer cause the rough casting. Great to sear burgers, steaks, etc on. I wouldn't cut the handle its most useful direct so the egg dome will be open.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I gave $4 for this one....I'd gladly have given $5 for yours !!!!imageimage

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a Griswold. Looks just like that, but smooth on the top. Comal is Spanish for griddle.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cast iron is iron that is cast into shapes.

You're welcome,
    Captain Obvious
  • It's a big building with doctors but that's not important now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have one similar in the lodge. I cut the handle off and use it to sear fish and steaks in the small. Good find!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

And don't call me Shirley.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Shirley you can't be serious
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • I would go on but I'd probably start to bore you

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    At my house that is for heating up tortillas, corn or flour...that reminds me it is almost tamale season!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
    ( Listen, Betty--Don't start up with your white zone **** again! )

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
  • Mrs. Cleaver speaking jive always cracks me up.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lwrehm said:
    At my house that is for heating up tortillas, corn or flour...that reminds me it is almost tamale season!
    There's a season for tamales? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    It doesn't look like cheap iron to me, but wonder why it doesn't have any markings on the bottom - suggests it was not made in U.S.

The handle suggests it's made of fairly thick iron, hard to tell from the picture, is it relatively heavy for its size?

I would take it to the garage, spray it with EZ-Off oven cleaner, the full strength kind in the yellow can. Put it in a plastic bag overnight, and rinse it off under the hottest water you have in the morning.

If you now have clean grey metal, dry completely (not a paper towel, it will shred) and coat with vegetable oil. (some argue that the kind of oil is important, but you have a $5 griddle, no need for exotic oil you have to go out and buy)

A thin coating is all you need, all the way around, including the handle. Then stick it in your egg at 500f until the fire goes out. 
    I turned this yard sale find into a really nice usable fryer.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

@DieselkW I just weighed it, it is almost 3 pounds, 13.5 oz. :D Not sure if that is heavy for its size or it, it's 9.5" across.

It looks to be fairly new, doesn't look to have been used before. Should I still strip it down and start over on seasoning?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    @DMW..I don't have anything to precisely weigh my cheapo with. If I did I could give you something to compare yours to.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    If it looks fine why strip it? Just pop it in the oven for a while to kill off any funk.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I have the exact same one but paid $10 for mine.  I use it to make pancakes indoors or sear steaks on my LBGE outdoors.  Great score!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • O.K. ....There is a restaurant chain named BJ's and they have a dessert called a Pazookie.  It's basically a large, slightly undercooked chocolate chip cookie served warm with ice cream on it.

Lodge actually makes a Pazookie pan but when I'm making one for more than two (or just me) I'll use the Lodge skillet shown at the top of this thread.

If you've never heard of a Pazookie, look it up and if you've never tried making one, there's no time like the holidays.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    DMW said:
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

@DieselkW I just weighed it, it is almost 3 pounds, 13.5 oz. :D Not sure if that is heavy for its size or it, it's 9.5" across.

It looks to be fairly new, doesn't look to have been used before. Should I still strip it down and start over on seasoning?

If you don't want to strip it, you don't have to. I do it because I don't want anyone else's funk on my cooking surface. (I check the utensils when I eat out, so maybe I'm a **** about it)

At almost 4 lbs. this is a good heavy well made griddle - hopefully by now you're using it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

surely you can't be serious?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX