Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish how is it done ? HELP!!!

Never done fish on the egg before . My brother in law went fishing over the weekend and came back with some black fish and sea bass . how what do i do with these Help please 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• I'm not running in after RRP's mayonnaise kick but it is used classically as a stick preventative for grilled fish. Sea bass is great grilled hot and fast with no smoke.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've never cooked one of those, but it shouldn't be to much different than a gas grill. You could put it on cedar planks at 400 indirect.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Lots of ways but, I personally prefer CI pan blackened. And with some mango salsa or pineapple salsa.
    Or you could just scale them and go straight on the grid if that's your thing.
    I'm familiar w/ Sea Bass but, "Black Fish"?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Rfd96
    Rfd96 Posts: 20
    Have done both, Black fish is a little more forgiving, have cooked it similar to striper. In a pan, garlic, butter, capers, olive oil...and you can go any direction from there (onions, tomatoes, spicy, etc) 350-400 direct, maybe 20 min until done. Sea bass, same way or go direct on the grill skin side down for a few to crisp it up.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I fish and catch both often.
    Seabass Cooking the fish whole, I put EVOO on it, score the skin shallow and season with some thyme, salt and pepper under the roaster on low. flip when the skin gets crispy- 5-7 mins. When roasting, put on a cookie rack, and you should be able to keep the side that is down from getting soggy.
    On the egg, you could probably do the same thing, raised direct at about 375.
    I have a new way for Blackfish, AKA Tautog... and do not knock it till you try it... 2-3 cups of water with 4 tablespoons of brown sugar added. Cut up the tog/blackfish to one inch cubes. Boil in water/brown sugar mixture for about 2 mins. Take the larger pieces, and cut one in half in half. If white all the way through, it is done. Once done, strain and rinse with cool water for about 20-30 seconds to stop cooking. Dip in clarified butter and add old bay if you like it - you ill think it is dungeness crab. Personally, I do all steps, cool longer under the cold water to it is cool to the touch then I toss in a little clarified butter, and sprinkle on top of a dressed salad with a very light dusting of old bay.
    Or you can blacken either one.
    I know.... cook something but not on the egg? GASP!!! But that is how I like to cook these tasty fish best. Blackening is great, but you do not taste the fish itself. Usually just the seasoning. If you are getting really fresh fish, try these methods just once. I do not think you will be sorry.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

olive oil on fish and grate.  sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on the fish.  don't go crazy with marinades.  Put fish, exposed flesh side down, over a HOT grill.  DON'T touch it until it crusts up and pulls away from grate easily. Use the standard grill grate, NOT the cast iron grate.  Cast iron is best for dense fish that doesn't come apart easily like King Salmon

Fish is fully cooked when it's opaque.  This sounds more difficult to achieve than it actually is.  you'll have a lot of fun once you master a few simple tricks- and then you and your guests will never want fish any other way.  nice crust on outside, tender, flaky and moist on the inside, plus it's healthy.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I use a disposable expanded aluminum tray. Spray with it Pam. Season to taste. I grill raised direct, flesh side down for a few minutes to add grill marks and color. Flip to skin side down while fish is still firm. Remove when fish flakes easily and when it turns from translucent to opaque. Approximately cook time is 10 minutes per inch at 400°. When I'm ready to remove the fish from the grill, I gently slide a spatula between the meat and skin. This allows you to plate just the meat without the skin. I then toss the skin to the cat or dogs.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Sea2Ski‌ FWIW I respectfully disagree that you don't taste fish when blackening. The key is a hot CI pan. I like using as fresh of fish as possible and go lite on the seasoning because I still want to taste the fish. The seasoning should compliment not overpower. This is true with any protein IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • There is also a product out there that is great for fish. Frogmats.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Thanks everyone i plan on cooking it all this weekend . as for skin side down he filleted it and no skin on it . Blackening sounds like a plan what type of spices for doing that ?

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I don't know what black fish are but blackening will overpower the sea bass. I would do a light mayonnaise coating and grill at 400*. Sea bass is real expensive here and I wouldn't waste it. I'm not talking about Pantagonian toothfish either.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited November 2014
    If it is fillet'd or in steaks, cook it direct just as you would a steak.
    One flip only.
    Get the first flip in after 3-5 minutes depending on fish thickness.   Then cook it until desired done-ness.   Dome closed.   You'll be amazed at the lump flavor you'll get, or add a chunk of wood.

You remember the movie...

But think 'FLIP"   ....not "ping"   
    :))
    LBGE/Maryland