Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

green egg care?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am interested in purhcasing an egg, but i dont have a covered patio.
it would be exposed to the elements! is this a problem? would it crack in sudden temp. changes? i would not want to invest the money only to screw it up. thanks in advance.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    frank muscarello,
    routine cold temps here in new england, and no issues with 800 degree sears, or anything below that.[p]my egg is incovered, sitting under 5 inches of fresh snow this morning.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    42d4a3c6.jpg
    <p />frank muscarello,
    they are fine in the elements,the smaller one is just heating up for a cook. the ceramics hold heat very well in the cold

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    frank muscarello,
    Cast aside your fears my friend your worries are for naught!
    My Large Green Egg has been sitting out on my deck winter and summer and everything in between for 7 years. I have a table and over the whole thing I have a cover. The only maintaince, other than cleaning it out when it needs it, is I spray a little WD40 on the springs once or twice a year It's an older model). Other than that it's ready to go whenever I'm ready. Jump in and ask your questions once you've bought it this is the place to come to ask all of the other questions about how to do everything you want.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    frank muscarello,[p]My eggs are 8 years old and have resided on an uncovered exposed deck since day one. I use them all year and they work great. I do use the BGE covers. I live in NJ and get all 4 seasons. Ihave had no problems with the eggs since day one.[p]Spin
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    P1010033.gif
    <p />frank muscarello,[p]I keep 'em outside, but I use covers to keep them out of the eliments![p]Smokey
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Ditto, I use the BGE cover when not in use. And I store the daisy wheel and put the rain cap on the egg prior to covering.

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Grillicious,[p]Ditto for me. I also cover my storebought table thingy just becaues it seems easy considering the cover cost 15 bucks and the table $150.[p]Flank steak is on deck for tonight. YUM!!
  • OctoberGlory
    Options
    Frank,

I bought a cover about 8 years ago. I think I used it for a week or two and haven't used it since. My large and small are on my deck fully exposed to the weather all the time…absolutely no problems.

OctoberGlory