Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Woo Prototype

Options
Ceramic Grill Store (Tom) sent me a prototype Mini Max Woo he is working on. Ask that I try it to see how it works. Just got it so not a lot of use except at lunch for stir fry. Please look and send suggestions. Sitting in the MM on top of the ring ( out of notches) it is 2" above the felt... Sitting in the notches it is 1.5" above the felt (both with the grid on). imageimageimageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Using the 9.5" Lodge image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Shots with platesetter. Not a fan but I bought one. Waiting to see what size stone works best on Woo. imageimageimage

• mgunders
    Options
    I would buy one, looks like it would add more versatility than with the platesetter. Handles would be nice but it doesn't look like they would clear the dome. Thanks for posting Mickey, I'm picking up my Minimax next week and was on the fence with the platesetter, not anymore.
  • mgunders
    Options
    I bought a platesetter for my XL (first egg) then bought the AR from Tom and the platesetter now collects dust in the garage. Got the Woo for my medium egg, hopefully he makes the Woo available for the Minimax soon. Thanks for the pictures Mickey!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hey Mickey! How much dome clearance does the woo leave? Santa might want to know before this elf gets to wanting a MM too much.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Mickey -

That looks nice.  A very simple solution that allows use of the MM plate setter too.  Not sure it would work, as I don't have a MM (yet), but how about a complex bend to get the inner ring below the fire ring, giving a little more room for the indirect piece/drip pan.  Just a thought. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would like to suggest something that goes down into the fire ring for a stone so the grate can still be around felt level for indirect. The MM holds plenty of lump to cook a large shoulder so you can sink the indirect down so you don't lose the valuable dome cooking space.
  • mgunders
    Options
    @Lit , basically just like the small Woo now?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I agree with @Lit‌ drop the top ring 1.5" and drop the "spider" part an 1"-1.5". Granted this would make the platesetter obsolete but that never stopped Tom before. Thanks @Mickey‌
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Looks awesome Mickey... Might give even a tad bit more indirect clearance with Woo in the notches, platesetter legs up in the notches with cooking grid on the Woo. If it will fit between the riser bars.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice....drooling! Hopefully it's for sale soon. Is it close to a WOO3? or like a WOO that is for a Mini? I like how it lifts into the dome.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Options
    Lit said:
    I would like to suggest something that goes down into the fire ring for a stone so the grate can still be around felt level for indirect. The MM holds plenty of lump to cook a large shoulder so you can sink the indirect down so you don't lose the valuable dome cooking space.

He is thinking a 10" stone would work. The fire ring is 11.25" inside. image

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Nice, please keep us up on this. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2014
    Options
    can do this, with or without handles.  drops about 1" into the fire ring and 1.75" above fire ring when sitting out of the platesetter notches.   Fun having the equipment to whip something up like this in couple hours..........t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @tjv Looks good. Still thinking 10" stone and fit BGE platesetter

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @tjv - That looks perfect, but need to test to see about lump clearance, etc.  If someone will just give me a minimax, I'll be glad to do some extensive testing.  With only 11" to work with, it would seem the indirect piece would need to be less than 10".  I really like the handles on the medium Woo.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @tjv Looks good. Still thinking 10" stone and fit BGE platesetter
    Why would you ever want/need platesetter instead of just using pizza stone with the Woo?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    tjv said:
    can do this, with or without handles.  drops about 1" into the fire ring and 1.75" above fire ring when sitting out of the platesetter notches.   Fun having the equipment to whip something up like this in couple hours..........t

Looks like your new machine is working great. Looks fantastic Tom...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mgunders
    Options
    @tjv I'm ready to purchase one.
  • Lit
    Options
    @tjv that looks great. I will gladly test it for you if you need a guinea pig.
  • Lit
    Options
    10" is not too big for sure. The plate setter is 10.5" diameter and that seems about perfect. Pics of bboth below a 10" stone in a piece like TJVs and the plate setter.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    tjv said:

Will this one hold a 10" stone on the lower ring?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    bottom ring can hold a 10" stone or grid.  As pictured the ID of the lower ring is approx. 8".  It can be just about any diameter.   Material is 304 stainless steel, 1/4" diameter round bar.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Look above at the round Lodge sitting in it.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @tjv thanks
    @Mickey i see, thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Lit said:
    10" is not too big for sure. The plate setter is 10.5" diameter and that seems about perfect. Pics of bboth below a 10" stone in a piece like TJVs and the plate setter.
    With the KJ Jr Rig, you could have a 3/8" nut welded next to the bar resting on the fire box. Then add a bolt making the height adjustable to get you even higher in the dome when needed similar to the way Ceramic Grill store does to their Woo Rings. Just screw the bolt in and out to raise or lower. Going to have mine modified on my next day off.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Options
    Thanks @Photo Egg‌ . I never knew what those bolts were for. I was actually talking to my dad just a couple days ago about them and neither of us knew why they were there. I thought it stopped the woo from moving around so much.
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Lit said:
    Thanks @Photo Egg‌ . I never knew what those bolts were for. I was actually talking to my dad just a couple days ago about them and neither of us knew why they were there. I thought it stopped the woo from moving around so much.
    Welcome.
    Yes, also aids in the sliding. Should work great on the KJ piece as well. The only issie I have with the KJ rig is that the design does not let you just spin the cooking grate.
    Tom has really out done himself with many of his products.
    I'm a proud collector of Woos and Rigs and Flip Rings. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Options
    @Photo Egg‌ a buddy of mine that got the Jr also ground off the 3 pegs so he could use the BGE cast iron grate. Took him like 10 minutes.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Lit said:
    @Photo Egg‌ a buddy of mine that got the Jr also ground off the 3 pegs so he could use the BGE cast iron grate. Took him like 10 minutes.
    Yet another great tip...thank you.
    Did it still support and hold the cooking grid in place just as well?
    I have 2 Small BGEs and Woo for each, one being custom made to fit a few special items.
    So I have honestly not used my KJ rig at this point. I wanted to have the nuts welded on first.
    Grinding the 3 top posts off will make a vast improvement.
    Thanks again
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas