Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fogo Lump Sale at Amazon

The 35 pound bags of Fogo Lump are on sale at Amazon for $36.97.  As always, free shipping with Prime membership.  I just stocked up.  I bought one of the Hasty Bake (OO??) 5 - 10lb packs, and used it for the first time tonight.  It seemed to take longer than Fogo to burn clean.  It's not bad stuff, and I may change my opinion as I get more familiar with it.  But as the price of Fogo comes down, it is a compelling buy.  http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB-35-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P166SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416374459&sr=8-1&keywords=fogo+lump+charcoal&pebp=1416374470295

In the past the price of Fogo has varied wildly, but I haven't seen it below $41 since May.

Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    To bad they won't ship to Hawaii.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I've promised myself I'm holding out until below $35. Let's see if I can do it. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Ridiculous that I should wait, though. I mean, even if I get eight bags (much more likely to get four), how much of a difference are we really talking about? I see an order in my future...
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    @PNWFoodie - I experienced the same dilemma.  I cut my order in half, which will take me at least through the spring.  If the price comes down, I won't feel too bad - I'll just buy more.  I was down to my last bag, and about ready to pay full pop.  Out here in the great BBQ wasteland of SoCal, we don't have many choices...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

So, It's a $1.10/lb for OO and $1.00 for Rockwood on Firecraft and $1.00 Fogo on Amazon. I've used all three and can't say I like one over the other.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• tksmoke
    Not arguing the quality of the OO or RW.  Firecraft will not ship to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia due to the onerous regulations designed to protect us from the pervasive evils out in the real world.  Fogo is excellent lump - the only negative is the large size of some of the chunks (easily cured with a few taps with a hammer).  I typically will use larger chunks in the XL and then use the burned remnants in the Medium.  The 35 Lb. bags are the way to go with Fogo - the smaller bags have much smaller pieces - too small even for the medium.

Santa Paula, CA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Hmm.. Thinking of trying a bag.  All I have ever used is RO, BGE (RO), Cowboy, and Pioneer (I think that is the name, it was from Sams).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • shows the last time I bought fogo on amazon it was $28.97 a bag in April...maybe I will wait a little bit.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @tarheelmatt Order a bag. It's nothing like those you listed there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    @DMW, I tried to get my local dealer to get Rockwood, but that fell through.  I am not one of those that buys a lot of lump at one time.  I may get two bags at a time, but usually only one.  So ordering five from FireCraft isn't what I want to do, but I want to try some "good" lump.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Matt, FOGO burns a long time and to me is not as neutral as RW, but it is full of big chunks. The bag I got from amazon was beat up, but it still had lots of BIG pieces. At that price if you're prime I thinks it's worth trying. IMHO
  • DMW
    @tarheelmatt Yep, same here, which is why I like Fogo on Amazon Prime. You can order 1 bag at a time and don't have to drop $100 to get free shipping.

Fogo is very dense and it is my favorite for long low n' slow cooks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    edited November 2014
    @theyolksonyou and @DMW, I think I will order a bag. Thanks for the help. I am a Prime member.  So, if it is good for low and slow, do you not recommend it for quick cooks.  I light with a weed torch and can get up and cooking in no time with RO.  Interested in your comments.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • I used it for both, no problem. I think density is just a bonus in l&s not a detriment to other cooks.
  • DMW
    No problem with quick cooks, I just save it for low n' slow. I use cheap RO for quick cooks. Now if I have leftover Fogo in the egg from a prior cook, I don't empty my egg and fill with RO. I just light and go.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Just ordered a bag...still have 9 bags of OO in the garage from Firecraft so curious to see how Fogo compares.

Not a bad price but holding off on stocking up hoping for lower prices yet..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • tarheelmatt
    edited November 2014
    Okay, just ordered a bag.  I like that it is a big bag too.  

Thank @DMW and @theyolksonyou.  

Interested in your observation of this compared to OO @SmokyBear.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tksmoke
    Wow - just tried to post and the censors need to review.  I guess they are finally on to me.  If they catch me, I'll need to go back...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tarheelmatt
    Should be here Tuesday.  Guess I will break in the bag on the bird Thursday.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    @tksmoke, just edit the post you just posted and put whatever you want in there. It will work then.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tksmoke
    DMW said:
    @tksmoke, just edit the post you just posted and put whatever you want in there. It will work then.
    Thanks @DMW I just wanted to post the graph from camelcamelcamel of the Fogo price history. I really like Fogo and use it for all cooks.  At $1.00/lb, and with free shipping, it's a no-brainer.  If the price goes down, I'll buy more.We'll see if this works - editing wouldn't let me add the graph.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited November 2014
    Oh damn ... now you've elevated buying lump to the same level of anxiety as trading stocks.  Pray for a dip in the price when I'm buying and root for an escalation in price when I'm selling grilling.  Geez ...

Looks like the price dips are short lived.  Probably a new delivery at the warehouse that's resulted in an overstock and a lack of space.  A quick dip in price will clean out the excess and then it's back to $45.  Hmmm ... should I hold out for the ultimate dip to $25 that occurred in January ... what factors played a part in that price?  Or, should I count on ... 

Now where are my meds ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    thanks for the tip, I'm going to try it.  Also reordered my pace 6 razor blades, speaking of good deals!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463

When I went to check FOGO out on Amazon, I saw this listing for Kebroak.

http://www.amazon.com/Kebroak-KHWC40LB-40-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P1669E/ref=pd_sim_lg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RFHHA9EW0999RXKF99F

Anyone have any experience with it?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Yet to try Fogo or RW. Really like OO and will always grab it when I get lucky enough to find a good price. Hope to score some in March at the Salado Eggfest...
    I stocked up on Royal Oak in the large red bag (18.8 pounds I think) when it was on sale at Wall-Mart for less than $9 a bag. It does take a little longer to burn clean but the price was right. If my garage goes up it should burn real nice...Had to add some racking to make room. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    A couple weeks ago I would have bought a couple bags but my parents just came through from Arkansas and brought me 16 bags of OO. I may still grab a couple bags to stash in the attic for low and slows but I have around 300 pounds in the garage attic already. My parents said the OO was $5.24 a bag but wouldn't take my money. I have tried RW and OO and pretty much every lump I see and have yet to find one that compares to FOGO for low and slows.
  • tksmoke

@Lit - would your parents be interested in adopting me???

I'm using some of the Hasty Bake that is sold on Amazon in lots of 5 10lb bags,  There is speculation that it is custom branded OO.  It burns well once the smoke clears, but that takes longer than with Fogo.  I do like the convenience of the smaller bags.  @$5.24/bag I could certainly live with it.  For now, I'll have enuf Fogo to last awhile.  Considering buying even a few more bags.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The hasty bake is good. I bought 5 bags also a couple weeks ago and burnt through 2 quickly. When you pour the OO out into the egg you can hear a different kind of clinck when the pieces hit each other not sure what causes it but I haven't heard any other lumps do it. I am going to pay attention next time I use hasty bake to see if it does the same thing.
  • tksmoke
    edited November 2014
    I agree on the "clink" sound.  If OO does it too, there's your proof!! Probably the diamonds embedded in the lump.
    Santa Paula, CA