Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wii u, XBox or PS4

Options
I am trying to figure out which gaming system to get my 5 year old for Christmas. He has had an old Wii for while, but it is not working anymore. He will be 6 in February, but I feel he is still young for the XBox or PS4. I like The Wii u in that it gives him a mobile unit and is backwards compatible. He also wants the Skylander portal and Gamestop has a Wii bundle with the Skylander portal for $250. That's the way I am leading, buy just was winding if I ought to do XBox?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I have a PS4 and I like it. I work with a lot of tech companies and some of the programmers convinced me that the PS4 was the best option. These guys are pretty hardcore so I listened to them.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For that age, Wii.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Sounds like you have your answer already.

Myself, I own the PS3, PS4, and the XBOX1. 90% of the time I play on the PS3 because of the games I have on it. The PS4 blows the PS3 out the water as far as graphics go, but it's not backward compatible and not a whole lot of games available although it's getting better. I do use the PS4 controller on my PS3 though. The XBOX1 just sits there collecting dust.

For kids I think the PS3 or the XBOX360 is the better choice because of all the games available.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    At that age my boys really enjoyed the wii as there were lots of family games and they got to be active with all the motion. As they've gotten a little older they migrated to an xbox, but the games are all sports or first person type games, depending on which kid.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    Sounds like you have your answer already.

Myself, I own the PS3, PS4, and the XBOX1. 90% of the time I play on the PS3 because of the games I have on it. The PS4 blows the PS3 out the water as far as graphics go, but it's not backward compatible and not a whole lot of games available although it's getting better. I do use the PS4 controller on my PS3 though. The XBOX1 just sits there collecting dust.

For kids I think the PS3 or the XBOX360 is the better choice because of all the games available.
    I ditto this sentiment.

& The Wii is fading into oblivion.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Once you get Xbox or ps4 you won't see him again till his 16 and needs gas money. In a way I wish he never had either. Just sayin
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tjosborne
    Options
    I'd say wii u if it's just for your 5 year old.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    So I gave in and now let my 5 yr old have some time on my PS3 that is rarely used. Picked up all kinds of Lego games for cheap and its been fun playing with him and seeing him problem solve and figure things out on his own.
    If I was going from scratch I'd go WiiU, and may get him one anyway at some point.
    Seattle, WA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Funny - when it is just the big kids (adults) we tend to use the PS4, when the grandkids are over, the Wii gets a workout, Resort, Mario Cart and even the original Play. No matter what the skill level, you can have fun. 

This past weekend the popular one was Sports, baseball and tennis. 

For one or two players, PS4, for a big group, Wii. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SouthGaSmoker
    SouthGaSmoker Posts: 98
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a 7yo and he has a Wii and PS3. I'm thinking about upgrading him to a PS4 this question if SWMBO agrees.  There are plenty of games out there for his age.  A warning on the Skylander game.  It's a dang money pit.  We bought one for Jr. on a whim when it first came out.  After spending money on 40 different character @ $7 each, they came out with the second edition (Giants) another 40 characters. EEK.   Then last year it was Skylander Swapforce and more characters with some being $15 each.  Now, this year it is Skylander Trapteam or something like that and Jr. has it at the top of his Christmas list.  I guess it makes buying presents for him easy for everyone for birthday etc but dang it gets expensive!!

I am trying to figure out which gaming system to get my 5 year old for Christmas. He has had an old Wii for while, but it is not working anymore. He will be 6 in February, but I feel he is still young for the XBox or PS4. I like The Wii u in that it gives him a mobile unit and is backwards compatible. He also wants the Skylander portal and Gamestop has a Wii bundle with the Skylander portal for $250. That's the way I am leading, buy just was winding if I ought to do XBox?

St. Mary's, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree Wii U for a 5 yr old.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    This will be a small investment (when you add games, etc). I'd go with something that he could grow into. Personally, I'm a Playstation fan. I have the 3 now and love it. I'm waiting on it to crap out before I get the 4. It gets plenty of use being able to use Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu for watching shows etc. Millions of game options that you can pay for and download right on the system. Also, at some point he might want to play online with his friends (when he's older obviously). From my understanding you have to pay extra for the Xbox to do that (or at least you used to). You don't pay extra on the Playstation. 

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The PS4 now requires a PSplus subscription for online play.
    NOLA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    The PS4 now requires a PSplus subscription for online play.
    Thanks for the clarification. I've had the PS3 now for like 5+ years now so I'm out of the loop. Still think it's a great system.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• jimreed777
    Options
    Wii U and mario kart 8 - fun for the whole family - awesome game series. I love PS4 - but Wii U is the choice for 5-12 year olds
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I forgot to say I have an old 80 gb PS3 and my son has played it but not without a lot of help from me. Looks like it will be the Wii u with Skylanders bundle. We usually make the big item from Santa, but this year we want the credit. I'm going to going to go try one out today if I can find one at Best Buy or Gamestop to play. @SouthGaSmoker‌, I figured it would be, but he won't stop talking about it. He wants minecraft game to, but they don't make it for the Wii u or Wii. I guess I may get it for the computer.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I think a PS4 would be my choice as I have been on this platform for the last few years. I definitely say purchase a next generation unit (Xbox 1 or PS4) as he can grow into it. If you get the Wii U, it will get old with using a wand to play games. A lot of my friends were on the Wii hype (which is great for family get togethers) but not too much fun for solo gaming. 

If it were my son he would get a PS4
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    GATABITES said:

I think a PS4 would be my choice as I have been on this platform for the last few years. I definitely say purchase a next generation unit (Xbox 1 or PS4) as he can grow into it. If you get the Wii U, it will get old with using a wand to play games. A lot of my friends were on the Wii hype (which is great for family get togethers) but not too much fun for solo gaming. 

I thought this too, but won't there be something better in 5 or 6 six years that I'd better. I'm leaning towards the Wii u because it seems easier to operate at his age. The one thing I did forget is the Xbox and PS4 are Blue Ray players. I am going to check them all out and make a decision today. Wife won't like spending that much on a 5 year old, but what the hell.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I forgot to say I have an old 80 gb PS3 and my son has played it but not without a lot of help from me. Looks like it will be the Wii u with Skylanders bundle. We usually make the big item from Santa, but this year we want the credit. I'm going to going to go try one out today if I can find one at Best Buy or Gamestop to play. @SouthGaSmoker‌, I figured it would be, but he won't stop talking about it. He wants minecraft game to, but they don't make it for the Wii u or Wii. I guess I may get it for the computer.

I have the old Wii, can't comment on the new systems, but I can say my 6 year old and I are having fun playing Skylanders together.  Each section takes 20 or so minutes to play so it's not a big committment.  I am playing as some character called "Lava Barf Eruptor."  What a great feeling, barfing out lava on your enemies!!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    He will love the Wii U if he likes Nintendo games. I have a 19 yr old and a 15 yr old they still play the Wii U more than the Xbox. They both recently told me if they were going to buy a new system today that they would buy the PS4 but but they love nintendo games and would never be without a nintendo system. They are nerdy when it comes to games but I think a 5 yr old would love a Wii U for many years to come.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2014
    Options
    GATABITES said:

You don't use a wand to play Wii U games. it has a pad with large full color touch screen LCD screen that acts as a second gaming screen, TV remote and quasi game boy all in one. You can play games in another room on the remote only. It's really cool. My kids haven't used a wand since getting the Wii U

I get that nintendo games are not for everyone- I personally don't get it but I'm not a gamer. My kids still love them though and they are older. They use it 5:1 over the XBox sitting right next to it.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I buy all of the consoles (what, buying all the eggs was my only weirdo obsession?).  My 14 year old son loves the xbox, my 5 year old son (6 in January) loves the Wii U.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is the game pad for the wii U

• GATABITES
    Options
    GATABITES said:

You don't use a wand to play Wii U games. it has a pad with large full color touch screen LCD screen that acts as a second gaming screen, TV remote and quasi game boy all in one. You can play games in another room on the remote only. It's really cool. My kids haven't used a wand since getting the Wii U

I get that nintendo games are not for everyone- I personally don't get it but I'm not a gamer. My kids still love them though and they are older. They use it 5:1 over the XBox sitting right next to it.

I guess I havent kept up with the newer version. Any of the choices will be good ones for a 5yo. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    Options

I thought this too, but won't there be something better in 5 or 6 six years that I'd better. I'm leaning towards the Wii u because it seems easier to operate at his age. The one thing I did forget is the Xbox and PS4 are Blue Ray players. I am going to check them all out and make a decision today. Wife won't like spending that much on a 5 year old, but what the hell.
    Maybe you have a point. Once he reaches a certain age, all of his friends are going to have next gen systems and he will want to play with them (online). I think its worth the research to look at what they affer other than playing games (netflix, Blueray etc...) 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Wii U and Skylanders is the best bet. Youngest grand loves his. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If your children are like mine, you will end up buying all the systems in the end.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I just bought the Wii u 32gb with Super Mario 3D World that comes with 2 games for $300 & Skylanders Trap Team that is backwards compatible for $75. The says that's all he will get, but I said the new system replaces the broken one that she made get when he was 3 and not ready for it. He has to get more than 2 presents to open. Good Christmas for him so far.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

there are a ton of little characters you can buy for skylanders, that go onto the portal thing and show up in the game - they might make good stocking stuffers or smaller gifts. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    blind99 said:

there are a ton of little characters you can buy for skylanders, that go onto the portal thing and show up in the game - they might make good stocking stuffers or smaller gifts. 

Yep, then there is a bag to hold them all and a shelf to put them on and ......... You get the idea but he will love it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !