Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

¡ɹǝpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ ʎɐp,פ

Options
G'day , have been meaning to make my first post for sometime now , so here goes.

In Australia there are zero retailers selling  Big Green Eggs!  I hear you gasp and say No Way , but alas its true! They were sold here sometime ago, but not no more. 

Dare I say I turn Green with envy when I read a post about going down to the local hardware to choose which egg to get this week or accessory to buy.

Things are done differently here if you want to get into ownership of a big green egg. First you scour ebay and similar sites daily for listing of preloved eggs and then get ready to drive.

My first BGE was a 1500 kilometer round trip done in one day to pick up a slightly older egg, which I didnt know at the time desperately needed a clean burn. 
Came with a nest , but no platesetter. 

Four weeks later, there was listing on ebay for another large BGE, this one brought to Australia from Canada by a great family. It had side tables, platesetter, nest and a heap of other accessories. That one made it home after a 2000 kilometer round trip.

About now some big boxes from the ceramic grill store arrived complete with AR, pizza stones and Woo!

What about warranty I hear you say, well downunder we have to self insure, its the price off being in the game.

I did try to sneak one of the Heinekin promotional mini out of the USA,downunder , it was posted to my shipping agent and he sent me photos of the fifty pieces it was in when it  arrived there. Rest in peace Mini Heineken.

To ease the pain of the loss of the mini , I bought a Rocks BBQ Stoker, I think it helped.

Before Christmas , i have another large BGE to pick up. It involves 4500 kilometers to collect and bring home. That will three and thats enough , correct?

Thanks to you guys , I know about voc's, clean burns, thermapens and so much more.

you are truly inspirational.

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Wow! True dedication to go to the ends of the earth for an Egg.

So what are some local favorites that you like to cook?

And Welcome!
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy ****. You win for the category "BGE love".

And welcome aboard! Looking forward to some great cooks from your neck of the woods :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to become and established dealer for the good of all Aussies!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thats great, 3 just might be enough. Lets see some cooks on the eggs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see what comes off your Egg.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome!

¿¿¿uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝʇᴉɹʍ noʎ op llǝɥ ǝɥʇ uᴉ ʍoH

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options

Wow! True dedication to go to the ends of the earth for an Egg.

So what are some local favorites that you like to cook?

And Welcome!
    Well , i have had to take photos of the ribs ,raw, to my local butcher to show him what a rack of ribs should be like. The local version of american ribs was purely the bones with the connecting tissue. Once that was sorted its been my favorite.
    Of course i progressed from whole chicken to spatchcock.
    Legs of lamb turn out great. Burgers with smoke and char. nice.
    Had both eggs going and cough ,cough  a wsm going at the same time which was great. 
    Had a brined fresh ham in one, pork butt in another and racks on the wsm.

I have to admit i struggle to get my ribeyes and reverse searing perfected.
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to become and established dealer for the good of all Aussies!
    I actually sent a request to the Mothership to investigate that, but had no response :(
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome. Would love to see some cooks of the local fare.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome! That's some serious travel to get a BGE. Good to see you on here. Look forward to seeing some of your cooks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    G'day as well.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And I also endorse the above regarding true dedication to finding and retrieving the BGE's.  Was fortunate to spend a year in OZ back in the mid 90's.  Had a great time-no "shrimp on the Barbie?" :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    It's truly a global community of eggers, which is beyond cool.  

Please, please keep posting from down under -- am very interested in the differences between what we have here and what you get there.  

And can someone explain why I "hear" your post in an Australian accent?  Doesn't happen for the Texan posts or even the Canadian . . .
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Welcome! I guess we take it for granted having egg dealers all around us. Post some pics of your cooks. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Truly dedicated you are! Welcome to the forum! I had the pleasure of vacationing in your great country as a teenager, had a wonderful time, saw amazing things, and the animals! All those crazy animals! Looking forward to your posts.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Welcome aboard mate.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I bet you get exceptional lamb at reasonable prices. Lamb is somewhat of a rare find in most parts of the US. We get great New Zealand Lamb here though.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Welcome!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    WELCOME ... love the Aussie humor ... does anyone in country take anything seriously?

Not only are you on the other side of the world, but your egg support is also the complete opposite.  I live in a little town in the middle of a corn field.  150+/- miles from three major metropolises, yet my egg dealer is less than 2 miles from home, the owner is less than 2 blocks.  Oh yes, he's in the food business and is evangelical about the BGE.  My eggfest egg was delivered to right to my door by the dealer and his brother.  When I stopped by to mention moisture in the temp probe, he reached up on the shelf and handed me a new one ... asked if I'd bring the old one in some time.  Also mentioned the slight under bite of the lid, so he stopped off after work and adjusted it for me.

So thanks for pointing out my blessings.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Welcome!!  Where are you located in Australia? 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome @Aussie‌, have you smoked any kanga bangas?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Little Steven
    Options
    There are several guys from Oz on these boards. I have their addresses I believe. The two that come to mind are AussieEgger and An Egg Downunder. If I remember correctly their eggs came from BBQs Galore before they closed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome. Always nice to have another member of the Commonwealth. Son-in-law's sister spent a few years in Oz and used a Grill Dome, made in India I think. She did like the coconut charcoal - what do you use? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
     Welcome.  Always cool to see folks from other parts of the world who have common interests.   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Welcome to the forum eggsperience.....it is the greatest eggcessory I have found to go with my egg !!!!!!

Great folks here...enjoy !!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome! great stories. You might be the most committed egger on here (although several should be committed ASAP)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome! I can't wait to see some of your cooks. If such common cuts of meat in North America such as ribs are uncommon in Australia, what are the common cuts where you live?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Options
    WELCOME ... love the Aussie humor ... does anyone in country take anything seriously?

Not only are you on the other side of the world, but your egg support is also the complete opposite.  I live in a little town in the middle of a corn field.  150+/- miles from three major metropolises, yet my egg dealer is less than 2 miles from home, the owner is less than 2 blocks.  Oh yes, he's in the food business and is evangelical about the BGE.  My eggfest egg was delivered to right to my door by the dealer and his brother.  When I stopped by to mention moisture in the temp probe, he reached up on the shelf and handed me a new one ... asked if I'd bring the old one in some time.  Also mentioned the slight under bite of the lid, so he stopped off after work and adjusted it for me.

So thanks for pointing out my blessings.
    @Jeepster47,

Sorry to get OT and shifting gears here, but it's been one year.  So proud of the hard work and determination in Washington.  RRP passed this video on last year.  You can see BGE pieces when he steps out of the house, unfathomable. . 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Post a few pics from the down under mate. 

Welcome Aboard!!!! 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I read the entire that entire post with an Aussie Accent in my head
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian