Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Brisket Success

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dpbrisket.jpg
<p />In my continuing experiments with Dizzy Pig Rubs, I made a brisket with Cowlick this weekend. (Sorry the pic isn't real good.) I followed their website recipe and mixed it 50/50 with "Sugar in the Raw" and used Jack Daniels Oak Chips for smoke. Cooking weight of this one was about 11 pounds after I trimmed it up a little. Started it at 9:30PM Saturday evening. (Delayed at the watering hole.) Pulled it at 9:15AM Sunday and cooler rested until about 3PM. It survived a "let's sneak a taste" attack from the women too. I was really PO’d they unwrapped it to sneak a taste 30 min before I said we'd eat! I was finishing the beans and they were messing with the brisket. Argggh!!! Let's just say I don't think it will happen again. ;-)[p]Well, the consensus of opinion is that it was the best they ever ate! Thanks Chris and team Dizzy Pig! I’ll be placing a follow up order soon as I try the rest of the samples.

Comments

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    babyboombbq,
    That looks mighty good. I've not looked up Chris' recipe. What was the dome temp? 275 degrees or so?[p]Tnx,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    JimboBQ,[p]I go by grid temp, which was 240 to 250. I think the dome was 275 to 300. I need to replace my gasket, so this cook was a little higher than I normally shoot for. I also used a new set up that had the meat higher in the dome. Normally, I cook on a grid on the plate setter. This time, I had a foil lined roasting pan with a grid resting on it. This had the meat sitting about 2 to 3 inches higher. The meat was a little firmer than the last brisket I did.
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    The Cowlick recipe and the pictorial on the website are mine (call me the 'quiet Dizzy Pig' LOL). That recipe on the website was one of the first we put up and our method's changed slightly over the couple years since then, but babyboombbq's approach and suggestions are what I'd call right on the money for successful brisket. We've found keys to be:
    - consistent 220-250 grid heat over the course of the cook (brisket doesn't handle temperature spikes the way a pork shoulder can), and
    - always target for ideal tenderness and not for a specific temperature. While a butt might be no-fail if you pull at, say, 195°F, a brisket depending on its marbling and grading might be fork-tender as low as the upper 170's, while another might need all of 200°F internal to reach buttery tenderness....
    Also, we go fat side down to allow for that bit of buffer between the heat coming up from firebox.
    Qfan