Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
gfavor
gfavor Posts: 74

I want to grill my 1st brisket.  I know they are a challenge so I want to get started the right way.  From what I've researched folks recommend using a 7+ lbs brisket.  I was at Costco and they had 3-4 lbs briskets (flat).  I can also get larger ones at local markets.  I'll be cooking for just my wife and I.  So my Question is: Is it ok to use a smaller piece of meat (3-4 lbs) or go with something heavier?  Do the larger ones cook better, more forgiving, better flavor, etc?

Also if you have some good how-to instructions/links that have worked for you please share, I need lots of help :o)

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Let me offer this and I will leave the rest to the more accomplished. The small flats are much harder to cook to perfection than a packer. Why? The lack of marbling and thermal mass. The larger intact packers cook much better than flats alone. This is not my opinion, it's absolute fact. You asked do the larger ones cook better, have more flavor and are they more forgiving? Absolutely my friend. No question of it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Of all the how to methods out there, for cooking brisket on the egg, I like this one the best. It just works and works well. http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Raideregg
    Options
    I agree with SGH on the smaller briskets, they are a little harder to guage.  The best thing I have found for a brisket is use a thermocoupler  check the temp and watch your heat.  Its a tough piece of meat to cook, but once you follow the steps an awesome piece of meat to consume. Watch the Temp!  Do not over cook the brisket or it will be a hockey puck! 
                      Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    +1 on SGHs above comments....... !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    The first one I cooked was a 4.5lb flat from Costco that turned out excellent. The second one I cooked was a 3.5lb flat from Costco that was ok - probably user error. I say start with a flat and get a feel for it. It's a lot of meat and plenty for you and your wife. I'm looking to do a full packer next when I can find some more people to come over and eat it.

Here is a post I did my first flat that turned out really good. Might give you some ideas if you end up getting a smaller flat.

Enjoy!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @FENCE0407....I'll pay the sacrifice and come over and help you eat a brisket !! Just send me directions !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!