Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a Thanksgiving Turkey!

Hello friends:

I am going to smoke a WHOLE (12.9lbs) Thanksgiving turkey!  I did a practice round last weekend, but it was an 8lb bone-in turkey breast.

My practice round consisted of:  Brine, apple/hickory smoke, baste (during cook time). Indirect heat via plate with feet up.  I had consistent temperature at 350 degrees.  It only took 2.5 hours to reach 170 degrees internal temperature.  Roughly 18 minutes per pound.

It was amazing, very tender/juicy.

Should I stick to this same strategy with the bigger "WHOLE" turkey?

Thanks!

-BigSal

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Sounds great. I'm doing a 15 pounder for thanksgiving by brining then smoking with peach wood. I am also adding a peach beer and Octoberfest beer to the brine. My guess it's going to take 3 to 4 hours at 350, but I'm starting early to make sure I have plenty of time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • I'm planning on starting early as well. What do you plan to do if the turkey finishes in the time you planned so you end up having a done turkey earlier than planned? I'm struggling with how to keep it warm, but not dry it out.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • Fellow eggers, I am going to try this out.  Anyone done this before with a Turkey? 
    I have done the traditional turkey on the egg for the past 3 years, one thing for sure, if you use a turkey can or a basting oven, the bottom always gets done faster.  I am looking for more uniformity in cooking so I am going to try this.

Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • JSwap
    JSwap Posts: 6
    I'm really looking forward to some smoked turkey.  I just got my LBGE and have planned to smoke 3 turkeys this holiday season for various parties. I plan to follow the same strategy of brining for a day, with apple wood at 350.
    Duvall, WA - LBGE
  • thegooddocta-

For my practice turkey, I was done around 2:30pm, and we ate around 3:15pm.

Right after I took it off my LBGE, I wrapped it in tinfoil, and put into a cooler.  Perhaps the brine from the night before helped it from drying out. 
  • ALSO WONDERING....

How do you all keep the skin moist as possible?  A lot of baste??

For my practice turkey, the skin started to "shrink up" and exposed the meat.  Is there anyway to prevent this from happening??
  • Thanks @BigSal‌ !
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI