Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey/Brine

Options
I have Turkey duty again this year, last years turned out extremely well, however I am going to brine this go around to see which I like better. I need a good recipe for a brine (saw someone posted one that had salt, sugar, honey and other spices) meaning I need ratios and all. Last years I kept it pretty simple, light coat of oil, did Lawry's seasoned salt, parsley and injected it with creole butter while using cherry wood. I plan on using the same ingredients however may go lighter or substitute the Lawry's because of the brine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I love Alton Brown's brine. Google Good Eats roast turkey and it should come up.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    For anyone else interested, here is the link to that site.

Birmingham, AL
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I will +1 on the alton Brown brine, but or other family members I now leave out the candied Ginger. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm firmly in the dry brine camp. Rub turkey with 1/2t kosher salt per pound and let sit in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options

I've used the Alton Brown brine for turkeys cooked on the Egg and in a conventional oven. It was very good in both cases.

Pioneer Woman has a brine with cider in it that's also good: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/my-favorite-turkey-brine/

I'm sure some simpler brines would also work.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use to go through the trouble of brining the turkeys. But the last few years for whatever reason, (lazy I guess) I didn't brine. Every year for Thanksgiving I buy two 18-20 fresh turkeys. I cook one on my lg bge and one in my oil-less fryer. Honestly, I can not tell the difference brined or not brined.
    Neither can any of my our 20 - 30 members of the family that eat Thanksgiving dinner with us. No one asks if the turkey is brined, but they all rave over how good they taste. They can tell the difference from the one cooked on the egg to teh one cooked in the oil-less fryer. The skin with teh oil-less fryer comes out awesome crispy and the turkey surprisingly juicy. The egged turkey ( rubbed with mayo) and (Mad Max style) is so moist and juicy. I make enough gravy for both turkeys.
     We love them! They come out wonderful with out the trouble of brine.
    I know brine helps the turkey retain moisture but I don't think that brining adds to the taste.
    Or maybe our paletts aren't refined enough.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• stonewh
    Options
    So I went no brine this Saturday, I had a 14.9 lb bird, coated in olive oil, Lawrys seasoned salt and parsley, injected with creole butter and stuffed with 1 onion quartered, and it may have been the best Turkey I have ever had. I have an AR so used the plate that came with that, raised with a drip pan using the aluminum balls underneath. For the fire I used B&P coal (local to Birmingham) and a piece of cherry wood, cooked it to an internal temp of 170 then wrapped in aluminum foil and a towel and placed in a cooler. This picture does not do it justice at all as the lighting is terrible but the meat fell off of the bone. I put it on about 2:30 cooked at 250 and took off shortly after 5.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I've been pleased with the results of injection brining.    

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/injection-brining/

I use a 5% salt, 3% brown sugar solution. Sugar isn't necesssary, but it helps cut the salt, similar to a cure. 

One could even steep aromatics then strain to create even more flavor.

Inject, rest for 24hrs or so, truss, spread a thin layer of mayo, and onto the spit.  Damn good eats.     

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Is there a maximum amount of time I can/should leave a turkey in the brine? i was thinking of making up a brine tonight and getting my 13.5# fresh turkey in now so I could let it soak until Wednesday, but if that's too long I'll wait.

I want to give the bird at least 1 day with a salty rub to dry the skin as much as possible before it goes onto the egg.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I did a similar size bird for 24 hrs based on a chart I saw here(somewhere in all the dang turkey posts). It worked out well. 24 brined 24 dried on rack.
  • Focker
    Options
    Is there a maximum amount of time I can/should leave a turkey in the brine? i was thinking of making up a brine tonight and getting my 13.5# fresh turkey in now so I could let it soak until Wednesday, but if that's too long I'll wait.

I want to give the bird at least 1 day with a salty rub to dry the skin as much as possible before it goes onto the egg.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Depending on your salt concentration, you should be fine.  Be careful with adding a salt rub on top of brining.  Placing the bird on a rack with the circulating air of the fridge for 24 hours should suffice alone, and you do not risk oversalting.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Yeah, that was something else I had worried about.

Okay, let me flip this on it's head: how long is too long to dry-brine? What if i just put the run on 48 hours ahead of time and let it to hang out/dry up the skin?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    bodski said:

I've used the Alton Brown brine for turkeys cooked on the Egg and in a conventional oven. It was very good in both cases.

Pioneer Woman has a brine with cider in it that's also good: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/my-favorite-turkey-brine/

I'm sure some simpler brines would also work.

I made the Pioneer woman brine up this morning, but I added a few things fresh herbs, lemon and I did not mince the garlic just mashed it and put hulls and all in.  Plan on a 24 hour brine for a 22 pound bird
  • Focker
    Options
    Sorry, I'm no help because I have yet to try dry brining.  Guessing 48 hours shouldn't be too long at all.  Maybe some others, who have tried this, will chime in. 

FWIW, switched from dry curing to wet curing due to some inconsistent results.  So much easier to drop it in a bucket and forget about it. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pileit1971
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I use to go through the trouble of brining the turkeys. But the last few years for whatever reason, (lazy I guess) I didn't brine. Every year for Thanksgiving I buy two 18-20 fresh turkeys. I cook one on my lg bge and one in my oil-less fryer. Honestly, I can not tell the difference brined or not brined.
    Neither can any of my our 20 - 30 members of the family that eat Thanksgiving dinner with us. No one asks if the turkey is brined, but they all rave over how good they taste. They can tell the difference from the one cooked on the egg to teh one cooked in the oil-less fryer. The skin with teh oil-less fryer comes out awesome crispy and the turkey surprisingly juicy. The egged turkey ( rubbed with mayo) and (Mad Max style) is so moist and juicy. I make enough gravy for both turkeys.
     We love them! They come out wonderful with out the trouble of brine.
    I know brine helps the turkey retain moisture but I don't think that brining adds to the taste.
    Or maybe our paletts aren't refined enough.
    Tony,
    Could you elaborate on the Mayo rub that you use?  I have done Mad Max but have also heard of mayo on chicken and curious on if you just use Mayo in replace of butter? or both?

Also I think I am going to be trying my first Spatchcocked bird, and still wondering if I should do any kind of Mayo or butter rub doing a raised direct... worried about butter dripping and flaring up the fire...

Thanks for your help.
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • TigerTony
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @pileit1971‌ Not much to elaborate on. After rincing and drying the turkey slather it with mayo instead of butter or oil. Then sprinkle with rub or s+p. As I've mentioned before in several other post. My mother used mayo on turkeys every time she baked one. They always came out beautiful golden brown. Delicious! I continue to do the same. It's a good way to go.
    Yes it works well with spatchcock chicken and turkeys. Here's a pic of one I cooked yesterday.
    New Orleans

• TigerTony
    Options
    New Orleans

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @tonytiger‌ is that the yucatan penninsula on the bottom half of your dome? Also, legs go to the back. ;):))
  • bgesmoker
    Options
    Turkey shouldn't be brined more then 1.5 hours per pound, I usually brine 1 hour per pound. Enjoy
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Yeah, that was something else I had worried about.

Okay, let me flip this on it's head: how long is too long to dry-brine? What if i just put the run on 48 hours ahead of time and let it to hang out/dry up the skin?

Cheers -
    B_B

I have only dry brined chickens for a day, so I don't have personal experience with turkeys for longer periods of time. However, Alton Brown recommends dry brining turkey for 4 days. Your 48 hours shouldn't be too long.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• TigerTony
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ ha very observant of you. It took me nine years to create that formation.
    But believe it or not it was destroyed today by a clean burn. The next formation I'll work on creating in the dome will be Madagascar off the coast of Africa. :)
    New Orleans

• ChristinaSunshine
    Options
    @stonewh‌ - What is BP coal? I live in the Ham ... Where do you get it? my BGE store is Absco on 280 (I live off hay 41)
  • stonewh
    Options
    Christina, I pick mine up at the NY Butcher shop in Cahaba Heights, right behind the Summit. I have seen it at a couple of the Piggly Wigglys as well. 
    Birmingham, AL