Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you set your vents for a 375 cook? (LBGE)

(Yes, this is spatch related)

I've seen plenty of pictures of vents for a low and slow 225 cook.   And when I see those pictures of the top and bottom vent, I have found that I get the exact same results with the same settings (1/2 inch on the bottom, just a 1/4 inch crack on the top).

375 has proved a tough temp for me to stabilize at.  It seems you have to get enough lump going to get up there and then it's tough to tame that beast and keep it from spreading.  Or at least that's my take on it.

Curious to see what you do with a LARGE BGE for 375.

Thanks!!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

For me it's about an inch or so open on the bottom, and about the same as you're saying on top, maybe a hair more.  I try to let the fire get up to speed until it's 300 or so before dialing it in.  Since I'm still pretty new to the egg, I sometimes use my Maverick to help.  I'll set grill probe alarms at 325 and 375 and keep an eye on it and make small adjustments.  And if it wants to settle at 390, so be it, I don't get bent trying to chase the temp around. (Especially if the temp is above where I want to cook at.)

Looking forward to your spatch - I prob can't egg tonight so I'll be living vicariously!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Also, I think there was a thread earlier where someone posted pictures of various settings with the resulting temps - I didn't bookmark it unfortunately
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    For 375 on a LBGE , I go with no daisy wheel (open top) and botton vent open about 1/4-1/2 inch.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Let me help you on that thread ... a tip of the hat to Grampas Grub.  He mentions that it's a good starting point ... humidity, temperature, lump, internal air flow, food, your egg's personality, elevation, etc. will change the settings.  But, it was extremely helpful to get me started, so it's a well worn bookmark.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide/p1

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    400° for my large is about 1" bottom vent (maybe a bit less), no DFMT. I light it in four places, use those settings and close the dome. Go inside to prep and when I come back, it's at 400° or close. Every time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I'm about the same as @Carolina Q - For 400 I go topless (no DFMT) and 1" open bottom.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Is there any benefit to doing it this way?  No daisy and closing bottom vent.  I do the opposite.  Bottom vent open all the way and about 1/2  in. opening in the daisy.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Every egg is a little different. Why don't you just fire yours up and experiment?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Very interesting.   I have never cooked without the top rotary dial.   News to me and at least a few of you do that.

Does that let too much heat out the top and focus more of the heat as direct from underneath?  To get the top of the meat crisp don't you want a good amount of heat radiating from above?   I'd be afraid that most of that (and moisture) would go right out the top with it open!

TerreB...I have been experimenting.   Haven't had consistent results.   Feedback here is good thus far...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    I cook without the daisy wheel down to about 375. Has worked well as stated above.
  • KiterTodd
    Awesome.  Okay, next spatch cook.  No daisy wheel!

Jeepster47, thanks for finding that old link.  Good stuff.  Bookmarked!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    One item not mentioned in this thread is to creep slowly up to the 375 degree temp ... or any temp for that matter.  Open the vents, fire up the lump, and let the dome temp get too close to the target temp and you'll have lit off way more lump that you need for the target temp.  By then it's too late to throttle down the fire, it'll go right by the target temp and leave you with a stupid look on your face.  The temp comes down a LOT slower than it goes up ... yes?

Once you know your egg, Carolina Q's approach seems like it will work, but until then, be patient. Very, very patient ... especially if you're a new convert from gas.

BGE grilling seems to be a lot like deer hunting ... if you don't creep slowly and carefully, the deer is off and running and you're screwed.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q

KiterTodd said:
    Very interesting.   I have never cooked without the top rotary dial.   News to me and at least a few of you do that.

Does that let too much heat out the top and focus more of the heat as direct from underneath?  To get the top of the meat crisp don't you want a good amount of heat radiating from above?   I'd be afraid that most of that (and moisture) would go right out the top with it open!
    Let the heat out? If my thermometer says the dome temp is 350°, then it's 350°, no? Temp is temp. 

As for GG's settings, a nice guide, but as said, different eggs may need different settings. For that matter, any one egg may need different settings for the same temp from one cook to the next.

Speaking of Kent, wonder how he's doing. Anyone heard from him?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    I also go topless for 375°. I read a thread talking about doing this for a direct spatch to reduce the smoke from the bird dripping, I enjoy this setup it cooks the same and skin gets crisp. But as stated above that's just my egg they all cruise a little different.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    For 375 I do about half way open on the bottom and full daisy plus about 1/8th crack.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • KiterTodd
    edited November 2014
    Let the heat out? If my thermometer says the dome temp is 350°, then it's 350°, no? Temp is temp.
    Seems to work for a lot of people so I guess that is the case.
    I was wondering if a heat that is drafting fast out the top, has a different affect on the cook than the same temperature with small venting up top.  In that way the heat/smoke/flavor/moisture would be forced to mill around in the dome longer...keeping more of that magic egg goodness inside.

Similar to RiverDoc's comment above about taking off the dome top to vent unpleasant (?) bird dripping smoke.  If there is flavor you wanted to KEEP in the dome, it stands to reason it works to your benefit in reverse also.   Am I making any sense here?  8-}
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited November 2014
    One item not mentioned in this thread is to creep slowly up to the 375 degree temp ... or any temp for that matter.  Open the vents, fire up the lump, and let the dome temp get too close to the target temp and you'll have lit off way more lump that you need for the target temp.  By then it's too late to throttle down the fire, it'll go right by the target temp and leave you with a stupid look on your face.  The temp comes down a LOT slower than it goes up ... yes?
    EGGZACTLY!!!  I think that is my problem.
    I actually am trying to creep up slow.  But I still find once I hit the temp...I've lit off a reaction in the lump that is tough to rein in.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Well, as many have noted on here, there is more than one way to skin a cat, er adjust for a given temp.
    It's all about controlling air flow volume.  Open top, your only control is limiting the amount of air that gets sucked in.
    Open bottom, daisy wheel or other item adjusted on top, your only control is limiting how much exhaust can escape which effectively limits how much air does get sucked in.
    Or you can use both, which may give you the ability to better fine tune.
    Note,regardless of how you control it, the volume of air exhausting will be greater than the volume of air getting sucked in due to expansion caused by heat.

There is no right way or wrong way, whatever works for you, works.
    But then there are electronic gadgets that can help take the guess work out of the equation, but there still are some controls required to prevent natural air flow runaway.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• There is no set formula on temp control based on air flow on a clean egg vs. a dirty egg. If I were you I would experiment more with your Egg and get to know what works best for you under different conditions.  Learning to master your pit is the first step in becoming a pitmaster. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Honeslty I used to try and mark my bottom vent. Here is waht I learned: 
    There are too many variables:
    • Brand of lump
    • old lump in egg
    • cleanliness of egg
    • temp & humidity

I'll just agree with most of what was said above. 

That and 350+, Patty goes topless!

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Carolina Q
    Once you figure out the approximate settings for your egg, you can light it (in as many places as you want... I always light in four places regardless of target temp). Then set the vents; top, bottom or both. It doesn't matter, airflow is airflow - no more can go out than is coming in. 

Then go inside to prep your cook. When you come back, your egg will be at or near your target temp. I do a lot at 400°. 1" bottom opening, no dfmt. Almost always right on target. If you do it this way, it takes a bit longer to get to temp, but there is zero risk of coming back to a 900° inferno. Even if you get distracted by the game or a phone call. It CANNOT get hotter than the airflow will allow.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    I've never had a problem here regulating temps on my eggs. I have a med and a lg bge and the only difference I've noticed is that the large egg will get to a hotter temp faster then my med egg. 
    it didn't take long for me to get teh hang of where to set the bottom vent and top wheel to maintain 350 degrees. I light the lump with my vents wide open, after a few minutes and I know the lump is burning nice, I set the bottom and the top wheel to where I think 350 is. I'm usually very close. I watch and adjust up form there to get the desired temp. For lowere temps I start with a sliver top and bottom and then adjust. I've never cooked with the daisy wheel off except for steak searing. But even that isn't necessary, you can get plenty hot with the wheel wide open.

Note: I am a fanatic about keeping my lump fresh and clean. I remove old lump before every cook and vacuum out the ash. Then I sort through the used lump and remove the tiny pieces. I put fresh lager pieces on teh bottom and then the used pieces on top. I do this with EVERY cook. 
    Never had a problem finding and holding a temp.. But you can't be careless and let the temp run away on you. You will have to be very patient to get it back down.

I think people run into temp problems when they don't vac or clean out the used lump and ash before a cook. IMO.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Carolina Q
    TigerTony said:
    Note: I am a fanatic about keeping my lump fresh and clean. I remove old lump before every cook and vacuum out the ash. Then I sort through the used lump and remove the tiny pieces. I put fresh lager pieces on teh bottom and then the used pieces on top. I do this with EVERY cook. 
    Never had a problem finding and holding a temp.. But you can't be careless and let the temp run away on you. You will have to be very patient to get it back down.

I think people run into temp problems when they don't vac or clean out the used lump and ash before a cook. IMO.
    Wow! Just think of all the spare time you would have if you didn't waste it doing all that!! Seriously. :) 

To each his own, but the day I decide I need to regularly vac, to sort lump or to throw away used lump is the day I buy a gasser.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078

@CarolinaQ  Said: 
    Wow! Just think of all the spare time you would have if you didn't waste it doing all that!! Seriously. :) 

To each his own, but the day I decide I need to regularly vac, to sort lump or to throw away used lump is the day I buy a gasser.
    @CarolinaQ I think you are making this out to be harder then it really is. It's not a big  time consuming processes. I don't mind the little extra effort that it takes. I admit I'm somewhat anal about my stuff. I try to do things neat and precise, I picked this up from my father working at my our shop. It proved to be major plus with our end results in the plating businesss.
    I see no good reason not to clean my egg after each use and I don't mind doing it.
    It's all about habit. Just like making your bed in the morning. It's easy to put it off and take care of it later, but you always feel better after it's made right? Or cutting the grass without edging. It's looks better edged. Could you wait until next time to edge? Sure, but it's not that big of a deal and your lawn looks nice.
    Same with the egg. After each cook and it's cooled down, I put on work gloves, get a bucket, place all the pieces of lump in the bucket remove the fire-grate and vac out the bottom. Put the fire grate back and add fresh lump larger pieces on bottom. Then sort through the used lump and place the chunks back in the egg. Throw the tiny pieces of lump and ash in the garden. No big deal. Five-10 minutes tops.  
    But I understand others not taking the time to accomplish little things that make a difference. 
    It's a good habit to always prepare, be neat and be precise.
    To each his own.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have had 3 different larges and I have always had good luck hitting 350 every time with the bottom fully open and top holes wide open. Just slide the top over a tiny bit and you have 375. This is assuming no air flow issues.