Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I like the egg, but I just don't see myself doing a pizza on it.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was my line of thinking for about the first 7 years I owned an egg. My wife and I found a pizza joint we liked and the egg is meant for Boston Butts and steak right? Oh boy was I wrong. Of course remember that for the first 7 years I owned an egg I did not have a plate setter. So I figure, now that I have it I should use it. Made a pizza on Saturday. WOW! The smokey flavor in the cheese is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. I liked everything about it. Tried a different crust on Sunday that did not have cornmeal in it and have decided I like that kind better. But I was glad to see that either type worked. Along with the pizza I made about 40 crunchy wings from the Dizzy Pig website. After they cooked I put the wings in one of 3 ziplock bags, one had Buffalo wing sauce, the other BBQ sauce, and the 3rd plain honey. That is worthy of your time if you haven't done it yet.

Comments

• Bootheel Egger
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]I agree with you on the pizza. I did my first two pizzas last night and they were outstanding!!! [p]Did one with Chicken pieces (that had been sauteed in garlic), spinich, artichokes, mozzerella, and for the sauce we used an alfredo sauce with some basil pesto mixed in. This was one of the best pizzas I have ever eaten. [p]The second was a simple pepperoni and cheese with some olive oil and Italian seasoning on the crust, and a jar sauce.[p]Cooked them at about 525 deg. dome temp for around 15 minutes. The best thing was......I did not even come close to burning either one!!!! I may jinx myself but they couldn't have come out any better.[p]BE
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]I have issues with the dough for pizza. What did you do for the dough? By the time I want to make it I don't have enought time to make/proof it. Is there a faster way to make dough and still get good results?[p]E

• Eggecutioner,
    You need an hour or so to allow the dough to rise. Lots of easy dough recipes out there. But if you make it yourself you need at least an hour prep.

[ul][li]http://e[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I don't know where you live but there are many sources of premade pizza doughs in our area - plus places like Nick-N-Willy's sell shells - and Sam's sell pizza dough balls.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    RRP,[p]Are they frozen? or fresh? Then do they still need to proof?[p]
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]It would take like an hour to get the egg stabilized. So while I am stabilizing the egg I could make the dough?[p]E
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning ChoppedPorkPlate:[p]Pizza's ROCK! We did four 14" pizzas on Saturday evening. My wife made two different types of crusts tonight. One type "regular" thickness and the other "thin". The regular crust was much easier to keep from getting too done, but all were great. There was only four of us eating, but I think there were only a couple of pieces left when we finally stopped eating. [p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Eggecutioner,
    Yep. Here is the recipe I used and liked. Found it on these here internets.[p]Pizza Dough
    Marni Friedman[p]3 cup flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup warm water
    1 package dry yeast
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon honey
    3/4 cup water[p]Combine salt and flour. Dissolve the yeast in warm water; let sit for 10 minutes. Add the oil, honey, water, and yeast mixture to the flour. Stir. Knead for 5 minutes. Let rest in a warm place for an hour.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    take your pick actually. The ones I prefer are made in St. Louis by ROMA Pizza Co and those are partially baked so there's no hassle at all. Nick-N-Willy's need at least 20 minutes proof from the time you leave the store though longer is better. Sam's are frozen balls. As for other brands I see them in the grocery stores in the frozen pizza areas and are just nekked crusts.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pizza.jpg
    <p />Hi, I came over to see what you all were up to ... because I just happened to have pizza success myself last night.[p]I've had the pizza stone for years, and have used it for bread ... but if I ever used it for pizza the memory is faded away.[p]I'm sure I never really went for it in temperature (800-1000F) before. That, and small simple pizzas IMO are the trick to something outrageous, something you won't get in any but the best pizzarias.[p](I don't do this message board often, but if my link and photo work, you'll be able to see more ...)
    [ul][li]more on pizza[/ul]
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,
    Now that you've tried pizza, you should also try lasagne. The slightly smokey flavor that you get from the egg really improves the dish. I made a large one in a 3 inch deep, 14 inch diameter cake pan (fit perfectly on the plate setter). My guests were amazed at how extra flavorful it was due to the smoke. [p]Brian

• My bread machine's "dough" cycle runs an hour and a half. This time I just let it go and started the barbecue when it had about a half hour left. Not sure how long it took me to get the egg going, but using an electric loop starter until there was a good flame, it didn't take long.[p]I can recommend two books on pizza and dough:[p]"Pizza: A Slice of Heaven" by Ed Levine (and others)[p]and[p]"American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza" by Peter Reinhart[p]Reinhart is the baker's baker, and it's interesting that he likes doughs that are mixed and then put in the fridge to rise slowly. By his method (and recipe) you could put the dough in the fridge in the morning, and take it out again as the egg climbs to temperature.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2004_0214_012424.jpg
    <p />Eggecutioner,
    i got this recipe for a deep dish pan pizza from J Staus, very good on the egg and it doesnt take too long to make. the crust is thick, but its the best ive had anywhere for a thick crust pizza

[ul][li]pan pizza dough[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]What does the potato do for the dough? See I really am ignorant...LOL