Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken lollipops; is the juice worth the squeeze?

Options
I have marveled at the lollipops I've seen on here and decided it was time to try. I watched the Pepin YouTube on how to de-bone the bird and turn the wings into pops. Now I'm no classically trained French chef, but can hold me own in the chicken and around the grill. MAN THAT WAS SOME WORK! I have yet to put them on the Egg, and maybe they will blow be away, but are they worth all the work? Raised direct at 400 for 30 min? Pics to follow.
You can't make the Club in the Tub. Denver via Columbus.
Lg, Mini & ol Webber

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Im too lazy to do the work. If my wife didnt just eat the flappers I would just throw the whole wings on without separating the drummies ~:>
    Jacksonville FL
  • CMCordial
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ You seem to be a fan of the lollipops, what's the secret?
    You can't make the Club in the Tub. Denver via Columbus.
    Lg, Mini & ol Webber
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No real secret. Are you having difficulties making them? I have went raised direct and raised indirect and enjoyed the results on both.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    To each their own but, I have yet to make these and have leftovers. Juice is definitely worth the squeeze. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

CMCordial said:
    I watched the Pepin YouTube on how to de-bone the bird and turn the wings into pops. Now I'm no classically trained French chef, but can hold me own in the chicken and around the grill. MAN THAT WAS SOME WORK! I have yet to put them on the Egg, and maybe they will blow be away, but are they worth all the work?
    I recall Chef Pepin saying something like "A chef is no different than a regular cook, but a chef does everything 3 (?5) times faster." I'm supposing chix lollipops were something he could do almost without thinking, and served them mostly as an amusement.

BTW, I saw a couple of Pepin videos where he dices onions at a ferocious pace, but only looks at the camera, and chats about what he's doing w. the recipe. I guess the man has kitchen skills from the planet Krypton.
  • Melhill3
    Options
    love making these
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,386
    Options
    Earlier today I again did the deboned Jacques Pepin chicken.  Now have two lollipops for later this PM.  But there is no way I would invest the time and effort @NPHuyskerFL does to create a large quantity of those chix.  Of course, we all run to our own music and that's what adds to the forum...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.