Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre Cook; What I Learned

Options
We're planning on having a few extra guest over for Thanksgiving dinner this year and I'm going to spatchcock a turkey and smoke a ham. I'm thinking I may need an additional turkey breast for the additional guest and decided to cook one yesterday. I couldn't find a bone in turkey breast, so I settled on a boneless skin on breast. I brined the breast and coated with John Henry's chicken ticker rub. I added a couple small pieces of apple would to the Small and settled it in at 375 degrees. The breast was indirect, high in the dome and I pulled it at 165 degrees internal temp and let it rest wrapped in foil for 30 minutes before slicing. The turkey was dressed with an orange beurre blanc sauce and served with yams, stuffing and cranberry sauce. The turkey was moist and had a nice hint of smoke and made great sandwiches for lunch today. What I learned was a pre cook was a good idea and that while the smoked turkey breast was good, the turkey breast I serve on Thanksgiving day will not include smoke and will be basted with butter and fresh herbs. It will be more traditional, but still cooked on the Egg. Thanks for reading. imageimageimageimage

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments