Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal Management

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    henapple said:
    Just remember. .RO= raunchy odor. \:D/
    Now how can a man slathered in bacon smell anything?

Let's see ...  if RO = raunchy odor, then OO must = obnoxious odor.  RW is a little tougher ... maybe RW = rectum wrecker ... yea, that must be it!!!

Thanks for the smiles.

H

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

henapple said:

RW is a little tougher ... maybe RW = rectum wrecker

We may have to discuss your lump placement strategy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @jeepster47 - you can always order from firecraft.com. Any order over $100 ships free. They have RW and OO. I haven't used them yet but will here pretty soon because my guy in Carbondale was out of RW and didn't know when he would get more. I have 5 bags left and that when I get the " I don't think I have enough lump feeling".
    I talked to firecraft.com last week.  Found out that one can mix and match brands.  So, plan "B" would be to order equal parts Rockwood, Ozark Oak, and maybe some Dragons Breath if they have any in at the time.

In the mean time, plan "A" is to try for some Rockwood in Wisconsin at Christmas time.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Depending on your tastebuds (some here really like RO) I think you will really like the RW or OO. I haven't tried Dragons Breath. The flavors are neutral enough that when you add wood for flavor you get that woods taste not a mask of the lump. Like I said some here really like RO and this is just my opinion. If you want a more colorful veiw or RO I will leave that up to @henapple aka bacon boi.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ - I've heard Dave's Ace Hardware in Milton & Evansville is now a RW dealer. I haven't been there yet to check it out.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    XC242 said:
    @Jeepster47‌ - I've heard Dave's Ace Hardware in Milton & Evansville is now a RW dealer. I haven't been there yet to check it out.
    They are......as is Silica For You Home in Fond du lac.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    XC242 said:
    That's the one we'll be going close to on the Christmas trip.  Will plan on calling ahead.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    henapple said:
    RW is a little tougher ... maybe RW = rectum wrecker
    We may have to discuss your lump placement strategy.
    Wait a minute ... it says right in the instructions that the lump goes in the bottom ... oh ... now I see ... the bottom of the BGE ... hmmm.

Well, then maybe RW = Raw Waste ... hmmm ... yep, that will work.

• CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    At the local hardware stores where I live, my choices are Royal Oak, the BGE brand, and Cowboy Mesquite.  Royal Oak is the best way to go if I want to pick up from the store.  Here are the options thru Amazon.com.  Your thoughts?  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lump+charcoal&rh=i:aps,k:lump+charcoal
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Try Firecraft. They're closer to you than me and others have had good experiences with them. I think shipping to FL has been some of the problem I had. The Ozark Oak in the smaller bags shipped better IMO.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    RO and Maple Leaf are my go to's the RO is often on sale BOGO, I grab 10 bags or so, the Maple Leaf is available from Home Hardware so to get a discount I buy 10 at a time. I'm in the dump and light camp. 

A couple of years ago I noticed a guy open the bag from the bottom. He said the chips and dust tend to settle there, simply flip the bag over and let them redistribute a bit. Made sense as I have never been able to get those sewn tops to open without cutting most of the bag anyway. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    If you're going to order on-line, then seriously consider firecraft.com.  It'll probably be the cheapest in the long run ... no taxes and free shipping for a $100 order.  That's around a 100 lbs of lump ... the shipping would kill the deal at any other place.  Mix and match the brands of lump to find out what you like. The brands they carry are all highly rated.

I also like the fact that you can call and talk to someone knowledgeable about what you're interested in ordering.  I love and use Amazon, but try to call and talk to someone ... just saying.

I'm going through the same exercise as you are.  Brands available locally are BGE, Nature-Glo, and Royal Oak ... all the same lump.  Then there's Kamado Joe and Cowboy at the local Ace Hardware. RRP has been at it longer in this area ... maybe he knows about other stuff avail in the local area.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Skiddymarker   Some help on those bags from an old farmer.  I have fought with lots of those seams opening feed and seed sacks in my years.  Find the side of the seam with the single stitch.  Facing it, the right end is the end where the stitcher finished and that is the end that must be unlaced first.  Work the single thread loose and pull it to undo the seam.  If that doesn't work, say a few choice words and tear the hell out of it.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    @jeepster47 - you can always order from firecraft.com. Any order over $100 ships free. They have RW and OO. I haven't used them yet but will here pretty soon because my guy in Carbondale was out of RW and didn't know when he would get more. I have 5 bags left and that when I get the " I don't think I have enough lump feeling".
    @mattman3969   I just talked to the owner of those three stores.......he's going to get some 20# bags over to the Carbondale store on the next truck.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - that is good news. I wasn't looking forward to going the firecraft route but you do what you gotta do. The main guy at the Carbondale store knows exactly what I'm looking for when I walk through the door. I generally buy him out every time I'm there.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.