Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Chicken I ever ate

Options
Chef Wil
Chef Wil Posts: 702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cant remember who posted about cooking chicken using cornstarch but I tried it today and it was best I have ever eaten. I hate soft skin or rubber skin chicken. This almost came out like it was oven fried. Sometime back I remember hearing Blue Smoke talking about using cornstarch, Thanks Ken.
For those that are wondering HUH ???
Cut, wash, and season chicken. Dredge in cornstarch and cook at about 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hrs.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Here is a thread from around Thanksgiving with some pictures of thighs I did. Do these look like your end result? Did you pierce the skin or not?[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Cornstarch[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]This reminds me of Shake 'N Bake. Gave you the fried chicken skin with oven cooking! You doing this direct? Would it work on a spatchcock?[p]mShark
  • Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Sigh...Yet another recipe to try for 2006.
    DrR

• Chef Wil
    Options
    mollyshark,
    yes, direct. I don't see why it wouldnt work for spatched chics.

• Chef Wil
    Options
    thirdeye,
    didnt pierce the skin and yes, looks just like the ones I cooked.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Thanks for yet another incentive to try the corn starch. Actually I went out a month ago and purchased a large cup shaker with a cap of very fine holes in order to dust the chicken with the corn starch rather than the dredge method. I just haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    I've been using cornstarch on chicken for some time now with good results. Yesterday I was doing some bone-in breasts and realized I was out of cornstarch so I seasoned them and shook them in a bag with all pourpose flour. I set them on a plate in the fridge uncovered for two hours and the flour absorbed moisture from the skin forming a very thin paste like coating. I cooked them at 350 dome, indirect, for 1-1/2 hours. These were as close to fried chicken as it gets. My wife and daughter said it was the best chicken I've cooked yet. -RP

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    I did a whole one a couple of days ago. Was leary of direct cook so placed into small iron pot and placed pot onto fire brick which seems to allow some degree of direct heat at 400 degrees. No more rubbery or shrunken skin with this method. Apparently same thing works with flour. This was one hecka of a good idea from whomever came up with it last year.