Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal Management

Options
Do you notice how when you have a new bag of lump charcoal and load it into the grill, that you get nice separation between the lumps creating good airflow?  But when you get towards the bottom of the bag, the pieces are smaller so that when you load the egg you essentially get a mound of pieces, no airflow, etc.  What are your charcoal management tips?  BTW, I generally buy the Green Egg brand lump charcoal or Royal Oaks (red bag) and periodically Cowboy brand (brown bag).

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First your choices of lump are scary. When you get lower in the bag you can dump it in a bucket first and seperate the dust and anything small you dont want. Theres a recent thread around here where folks had different methods of separating the dust etc. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1610876/#Comment_1610876
    Jacksonville FL
  • CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    Thx.  I'll look for that thread.  You say my choices of lump are scary.  What do you use?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I added the link for you above. As far as lump I prefer Rockwood, Ozark Oak and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. There are RO fans here also. BTW the BGE lump is RO at a higher price point.
    Jacksonville FL
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Whatever brand you use, my tip is try to keep the bag on its side, so it doesn't settle into a big pile, dig in with both hands from the bottom of the bag, that way, at the end of the bag you will have less duff. That and be gentle when handling and transporting bags. Dedicate a good long pair of gloves, have fun!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    @Cheeseheadillinois - there was a time when I thought Royal Oak was "premium" lump... I was as green as my brand new egg at the time.

As for the Cowboy brand - did you notice the 2 x 4's in there? How about the rocks? The best thing about that lump is the price. 

I don't really have an issue with the bottom of the bag, usually I'm glad that I will open a new one next. I just dump the end of the bag in, stand back while the dust settles, and light it up. It sparks, it smolders, it burns. Air finds its way to the chimney.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I never worry about sorting or separation. Dump & light. If I think a bag has too much dust near the bottom, I throw the whole thing in the burn pile out back and open a new bag. RW & OO are better, but pricier and not available right around the corner like the GFS lump (made by RO) I buy year round. My favorite lump is Maple Leaf sold in Canada. Awesome lump!
    Flint, Michigan
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I'm a Rockwood guy...Just pour from bag. Some bags have dust in the bottom...but I've never seen enough small pieces or dust to restrict air flow when pouring the end of a Rockwood bag into my XL. 

I'm sure other brand users experience the same results...but I'm eggdicted to Rockwood.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Man, people sure do fret over lump. I buy RO because it's cheap, it works just fine and the store is just 10 minutes away. Wicked Good is better, burns a bit longer, and is about the same price at their distribution center just 30 miles away, but I would have to buy a lot so I just pick up a few bags of RO when I'm running low or am in Walmart or Home Depot. 

I don't sort, I don't screen it like topsoil, I don't do ANYTHING. Just stir the old stuff and dump more in as needed. Then, I use a wiggle rod to make sure the OEM fire grate holes are clear. When the bag is (completely) empty, I open a new one and do it all over again. 

This works quite well. Really.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    @CheeseheadIllinois:  Check your PMs
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I don't think he's fretting, merely asking a question. At 33 post I'm guessing he's a fairly new member.

@CheeseheadIllinois‌ I use Ozark Oak and Rockwood. Egging a $70 prime rib roast on RO is liking running Maypop tires on a corvette. If you feel better dividing the pieces, do so. I pretty much just dump and light. Some people sure do fret over a wiggle rod. I don't wiggle my rod.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:

Some people sure do fret over a wiggle rod. I don't wiggle my rod.

Im lazy. I let Wilma do that. ;)
    Flint, Michigan
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I changed my fire grate to a Hi-Q and now just stir and dump in the new lump. Every 3 or 4 cooks, I clean out the ashes.  I find that with the Hi-Q grate the lump dust burns fine.  I used to load my lump carefully and keep the ash area clean but this was way too much work.  I'd rather spend my time planning and cooking rather than cleaning the BGE.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    I go with Lazzari's.  It sparks a lot when lighting but settles down fine.  Plus...it's right here local, in giant 50 lb pound bags for $14.99.  Some pieces are giant; but it's great for those longer cooks.  I'm getting large plastic totes to make retrieval easier to get the right mix of size chunks.
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    My technique, is after a major cleaning, I always pick out some large pieces to set right on the grate maximizing not blocking holes and effectively creating a cover for the holes.  Then it's pour in more fresh stuff, then last, whatever pre burned lump I had removed prior to my major ash cleaning, goes on top.

Then as I need more lump on later cooks, I just add to the top.  I do this several times before I get to the point, that I feel it is time to do another major ash cleaning.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    henapple said:
    I don't think he's fretting, merely asking a question. At 33 post I'm guessing he's a fairly new member. 
    Agreed. I was referring to some of the replies, not the original question. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    My life has been easier once I got the hi que grate. (Agreed @Shiff‌ ) I'm super lazy about cleaning the ash, and no worries about small pieces..even when they break up from being on the second cook, no issue.

Ditch that drain plug :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... Royal Oaks (red bag) ...
    Been thinking about it all day ... just can't let it go ... have to ask ... and yes, my dunce cap is handy. 

Why mention Royal Oak specifically out of a RED bag? 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    For no other reason than if someone didn't know what brand they had, by saying the color, maybe they'd know the brand.  I live in the Chicago area and have not seen Rockwood, Ozark Oak or Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ... Royal Oaks (red bag) ...
    Been thinking about it all day ... just can't let it go ... have to ask ... and yes, my dunce cap is handy. 

Why mention Royal Oak specifically out of a RED bag? 

it comes in a few flavors. The red bag being the most common here in The U.S. No dunce cap necessary. If you are not versed in intricacies of lump brands and sub brands, good on you. Get out while you still can!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Whew ... bought four bags of Royal Oak the night before last and they came in light/dark green bags.  Had all the right verbiage - USA; natural hardwoods; lump - but still wondered.

The web site lists Hofheer Meat Co in Northfield as selling Rockwood.  Depending on where in Chicago you live, that might be worth checking into.

Living in a corn field in the middle of Illinois sucks for trying different brands ... of anything.  Called Ozark Oak last week to ask if they had a dealer in the area.  When she found out where I lived, she said; "Oh honey, we're just a small family business and don't sell that far away."  Geez ...

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Where in IL?? I get my RW when I am in Carbondale and also a place right inside of Missouri

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeepster47
    Options

Where in IL?? I get my RW when I am in Carbondale and also a place right inside of Missouri
    I live in the middle of the state ... Washington.  About 150~200 miles from Chicago, St Louis and Indianapolis.  Carbondale is about 250 miles south of Washington.

I've always wanted to put a lump of coal in my son's Christmas stocking ... maybe this is the year to do that.  Order a mix of three of the top rated charcoals and share it with my son.  Then see if, between us, we can tell the difference.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Whew ... bought four bags of Royal Oak the night before last and they came in light/dark green bags.  Had all the right verbiage - USA; natural hardwoods; lump - but still wondered.

The web site lists Hofheer Meat Co in Northfield as selling Rockwood.  Depending on where in Chicago you live, that might be worth checking into.

Living in a corn field in the middle of Illinois sucks for trying different brands ... of anything.  Called Ozark Oak last week to ask if they had a dealer in the area.  When she found out where I lived, she said; "Oh honey, we're just a small family business and don't sell that far away."  Geez ...

@Jeepster47 Howdi neighbor! I'm just over here in Dunlap. Most time in these parts Wally World carries the red bags, and Menard's carry the green bags. I also have RO in a rich blue bag which are aimed for the Canadian market and have bought English and French print on them. Then if you want yet another color the black bags that GFS sells out there on University in Peoria is also RO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just remember. .RO= raunchy odor. \:D/
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @jeepster47 - you can always order from firecraft.com. Any order over $100 ships free. They have RW and OO. I haven't used them yet but will here pretty soon because my guy in Carbondale was out of RW and didn't know when he would get more. I have 5 bags left and that when I get the " I don't think I have enough lump feeling".

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Hello Ron ... yep, not that far apart.

I remember seeing a picture of the red bags in the trunk of your car.  Now I see the visit to Menards was just as fruitful.  Thanks for the info on the various colors for Royal Oak bags.  Won't be so concerned the next time.

It looks like you use Royal Oak quite a bit ... yes?  Are you satisfied?  Do you use other brands for special cooks?  Is the Royal Oak only for cooking classes?

One year I was given a book on making Margaritas.  Went to the liquor store and bought top shelf, mid range and cheap ingredients for experimenting.  After a lot of really enjoyable testing, I discovered that I couldn't tell the difference between a margarita made with top shelf ingredients and that made with Jose Cuervo level ingredients.  The cheap stuff, yep, that I could taste the difference.  Now I'm content with the mid-range margaritas.

Probably have to do that same type of experimenting with the different charcoals also.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I live in the middle of the state ... Washington.  About 150~200 miles from Chicago, St Louis and Indianapolis.  Carbondale is about 250 miles south of Washington.

I've always wanted to put a lump of coal in my son's Christmas stocking ... maybe this is the year to do that.  Order a mix of three of the top rated charcoals and share it with my son.  Then see if, between us, we can tell the difference.
    We also have a dealer in Hoopeston, IL--Olympic Hardware.  That's a little closer, but still a long haul.  Make sure you always call ahead, some of these folks might not keep more than a handful of bags in stock over the winter.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello Ron ... yep, not that far apart.

I remember seeing a picture of the red bags in the trunk of your car.  Now I see the visit to Menards was just as fruitful.  Thanks for the info on the various colors for Royal Oak bags.  Won't be so concerned the next time.

It looks like you use Royal Oak quite a bit ... yes?  Are you satisfied?  Do you use other brands for special cooks?  Is the Royal Oak only for cooking classes?

One year I was given a book on making Margaritas.  Went to the liquor store and bought top shelf, mid range and cheap ingredients for experimenting.  After a lot of really enjoyable testing, I discovered that I couldn't tell the difference between a margarita made with top shelf ingredients and that made with Jose Cuervo level ingredients.  The cheap stuff, yep, that I could taste the difference.  Now I'm content with the mid-range margaritas.

Probably have to do that same type of experimenting with the different charcoals also.
    I have never understood how RO gets so maligned on this forum since truth is RO makes BGE lump for them and then it sells for nearly twice the price! For my classes I use RO since most people can find that and use it. I do still have a stash of Ozark Oak that I use in my medium egg which is my baking egg which has never had meat in it. Can I tell the difference? Yes...but to me it is not a RO vs. OO thing it is what has been cooked inside the egg before. That make sense to you? BTW do you know the eggers Mark & Marc at WRC there in Washington? Good guys plus Steve next door at the popcorn store. If you know them and see them tell them hi for me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thx.  I'll look for that thread.  You say my choices of lump are scary.  What do you use?

@Cheeseheadillinois

If you have a PigglyWiggly or if you come back north of the border...get Grove Charcoal...$12.99/bag

It's made in Cedar Grove WI..(just north of Port Washington....enjoy

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @Cheeseheadillinois - I'm not sure where you live, but Backyard Patio Store in Wilmette, IL sells Wicked Good Weekend Warrior for $23.99 per bag or something like that, I know it was cheaper than BGE brand I was buying from ABT or RO I was buying at another dealer.

I believe they also sell the FOGO there, but RO/BGE sucks unless you are looking for a quick cook IMHO. I still use it once in a while for steaks/chicken/sausage or anything with a CI basis since I found a deal for $5.99/10 pound bag which was a pretty good deal.