Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do You Carry a Knife?

Options
I lost my pocket knife and just bought a replacement.  The last one lasted for about 3 years so I thought that was pretty good.  I don't carry some big knife for outdoor use or anything because I work in an office and go out in the field once or twice a week.  In my spare time I egg and woodwork so a heavy duty knife is not something I need.  I bought a cheap Swiss Army with an inch or 1.25 inch blade, scissors, tweezer, toothpick...you know, something that will be replaced easily.  The flashlight thread was interesting, I thought a daily carry knife thread would also be interesting.    image
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    A very small sample from my very large edc collection. These have been my top choices for the last few weeks. image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    These are my general use pocket knives for at work.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Spyderco paramilitary 2
    Jacksonville FL
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Spyderco paramilitary 2
    I had one of those for a long time. They are as good as it gets. 
  • Dobie
    Options
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I was an electronics tech working through college and always carried a swiss army knife, then later a leatherman. I had a hidden good pair of small pliers (klien) and snips at my station. Those always walked off... bastards!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Here is the two I carry most often.image

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I don't have an EDC, but just today I came across this site 

It show off some really cool knives as well as other cool every day stuff that people carry with them.

It made me think maybe I should have an EDC.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    SGH said:
    These are my general use pocket knives for at work. image
    @ SGH You take those diving with you?

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have never liked weight nor bulk in the knife I carry...nor anything flashy if you get my drift...this black kershaw speedsafe is my carry.
    imageGuess I should have added that as a kid in the 50's I grew up when rapid opening switch blades were both "cool" and legal. This kershaw opens lightening fast and is street legal!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My usual carry....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dobie
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Spyderco paramilitary 2
    I had one of those for a long time. They are as good as it gets. 

Yes they are
    Jacksonville FL
  • travisstrick
    Options
    A few more from the night stand.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    note to self: don't eff with Travis...
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    These are my general use pocket knives for at work. image
    @ SGH You take those diving with you?

No sir. These are for on land use only my friend. I have many different knives but these are my everyday pocket knives. I do onshore pipeline inspections as well as offshore.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• travisstrick
    Options
    note to self: don't eff with Travis…
    If cool gear made you a bad ass then I'd be the baddest dude around. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My spending on knives makes my egg habit look like a light snack. 

Edited to say: Dear internet, please forgive me. I meant to say lite snack. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    between the knives, the glock and the standing shot on that deer... There's a lot I'm not good at, but remembering what I've read ain't on of 'em.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a Benchmade my BIL gave me, but I hardly ever carry it.  Makes me feel good when I do.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options

I have a few myself. My wife has threatened to leave me before over knives, guns and smokers. Hence I learned to build smokers instead of buying them. Guess I'm going to have to start making knives as well to keep her happy!!

Status- Standing by.

• travisstrick
    Options

between the knives, the glock and the standing shot on that deer... There's a lot I'm not good at, but remembering what I've read ain't on of 'em.

and I can drink more whiskey than most….

You become what you think about……..Think about it. 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    SGH said:

I have a few myself. My wife has threatened to leave me before over knives, guns and smokers. Hence I learned to build smokers instead of buying them. Guess I'm going to have to start making knives as well to keep her happy!!
    Sir, you and I would get on like pimps and prostitutes. My gun and knife collection eclipses my eggs. 
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:

Sir, you and I would get on like pimps and prostitutes. My gun and knife collection eclipses my eggs. 

If you are ever over my way you should come by. I have a few class III devices that I legally own.

Status- Standing by.

• travisstrick
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:

If you are ever over my way you should come by. I have a few class III devices that I legally own.
    Now I have huge man wood. I've had my **** skinners on many many class III shooters but they were all issued. I really enjoy a good toy. 
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:

Now I have huge man wood. I've had my **** skinners on many many class III shooters but they were all issued. I really enjoy a good toy. 

Because I legally own them, I will bring one or two with me to Salado if I dont go to Saudi. Brother Nola has handled a couple of them on his visit here. They are a blast for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Where my hawksbill people at? I carried this for years at work. Followed by a dozen others for personal use. Now fly too much
    Greensboro, NC
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I don't have pics, but I daily carry a Benchmade in my pocket and a Gerber multitool with pliers on my belt.  Out here on the farm, I have no idea how many trips to a tool box that Gerber has saved me.  Feel lost without either one.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SOG Flash II Aluminum handle Black blade, serrated.  Top one.  Had the bottom one and lost it.  Been carrying those for about 10 years.  (snagged pic from interwebs).

Options
    My daily carry at work and play is a Sog. Have quite a few old Buck knives, old circa 60s-90s Swiss Army knives, a few family WWII Marine issue for bayonet, one large survival knife and one regular carry knive (Grandfather's Marine issue) & a few industrial and tactical knives.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy‌
    If I have to submerge, I use standard wreck diving knives my friend. Nothing fancy at all.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.