Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Brine for Chicken?

Options
AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good weekend to all,[p]I'll be cutting up a whole chicken and want to brine it overnight. Is overnight recommended and what ingredients would you use? I plan on halving and grilling it.[p]Thanks[p]AndyR

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    AndyR,[p]I use a very simple brine: 1 cup each kosher (non-iodized) salt and 1 cup sugar (brown or white) to 1 gallon water. Eight hours or overnight is fine.[p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, strange world.. I just put on a whole, fat, plump rooster roaster (I know it was a rooster roaster..his registration was left behind) I brined it in my super jar from Wal-Mart (holds two 8lb chickens) and I used your ingredients, plus a sliced up clove of elephant garlic, plus a few bay leaves, plus a few very thin see thru slices of oinion. The big jar fits nicely in my fridge bottom with a shelf removed. (spare fridge)
    Now smoking in sugar maple and a fist sized hunk of hickory.
    Cheerio...going deep sea hunting for mermaids again. :-)
    C~W[p]

• Cat
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I'm glad to see you're back at the Egg.[p]Grilled shrimp here tonight, smoky spareribs tomorrow.[p]Cathy
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Cat,[p]If I remember right, I read that brine in Smoke & Spice. I was going to use that as a base. Have you ever added other ingredients with success? Thanks for your reply, hope to get to meet you the Fest.[p]AndyR
  • Cat
    Options
    AndyR,[p]You can put in any herbs & spices you like; you'll get more flavor out of them if you boil them in the brine and let it cool (thoroughly) before adding the bird. [p]The effect is subtle, and I'm usually too lazy to bother; just the salt and sugar do wonders. John Ash had a great brine in a magazine a while ago; it had maple syrup and a lot of fresh garlic, I think. If you're interested I'll hunt it up and e-mail it to you.[p]Look forward to meeting you too -[p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, yeh, back to my old snarly self again..And your right, I added my gunk to the brine and almost boil it..Good and hot anyway..stir and let sit. Not for your info..just anyone reading..your the best!
    Cheers..C~W[p]