Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggheads - one world...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731

A Chinese egghead from Canada connects with an Indian egghead in Texas, about building a tandoor. Turns out that they're both from Kolkata in India. The Indian guy tells the Chinese guy that he's going to India for a few weeks, so the Chinese guy tells him to give his brother a call. And that's how things got rolling.

I called @canugghead's brother when I reached Kolkata and we decided to meet for lunch on  Sunday. Canugghead's brother runs a sauce factory in Tangra (Kolkata's Chinatown, and the only Chinatown in India that I know of), so the plan was to tour the factory and then go eat some authentic Hakka Chinese grub. It was cool to see how soy sauce is made the old school way - soy beans are fermented in the sun, brined, and the soy sauce is then siphoned off and bottled. They make a variety of other sauces as well, which we were given several bottles of to take home! We also drove through the lanes of Tangra a bit, with Canuggehad's brother acting as our tour guide. The area used to be busy and bustling, but is now sadly a ghost of its former self.

Lunch was a real treat! Hakka Chinese have lived in Calcutta for 200+years, and so Chinese food in India is fabulous. We were taken to a small (7 tables total I think) restaurant called Lee's, which we would have never been able to find by ourselves. Lee converted part of his house into the restaurant, and he cooks himself. We ate all kinds of deliciousness - handmade noodles, dumpling's, steamed fish with a ginger soy sauce, chili chicken (a Chinese food staple in India), shrimp, red sauce noodles (never had these before), and shan tong cooked two ways (one with a preserved lemon sauce and the other with a rice wine sauce). The shan tong was a special treat since it hard to procure, but apparently Lee "knows a guy". I can't describe what cut of beef it is exactly, but Canugghead's cousin described it as the neck muscle (I think). As soon as the cut is separated from the carcass, it is beaten to tighten it up. The meat looks white like pork, but is quite tender... and tasty. I could barely walk back to the car after we were done, because canugghead's brother  ordered about a dozen items for us to try. We were stuffed!

Canugghead's sister-in-law sent us home with all kinds of treats - several bottles of different sauces from their factory, shrimp crackers, and dry-cured Chinese sausage. This outing was a highlight of our trip to Kolkata, and I couldn't help but muse over how it all came together. Good times.

I have a picture of all of us at the restaurant, but I first need to ask canugghead if he's ok with me posting pics of his family. No pics of the food since I didn't want to look like a geek, and I was probably amusing everybody enough by insisting on eating with chopsticks :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow! Awesome story.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    That is awesome! That's it I'm going to Lee's!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That is a great story. I hope you can post the pics. I really wish you would have geeked out and took a few pics of the food. It sounds awesome! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    Options
    That is a great story. I hope you can post the pics. I really wish you would have geeked out and took a few pics of the food. It sounds awesome! 
    I lost count of all the different things we ate. Many of the items we ate for the first time, e.g. red sauce noodles, and shan tong. Chinese food in has evolved to serve what local folks like, but Lee's is more authentic Hakka cooking, from what I was told. In the US, a lot of the Chinese food is Cantonese and Schezwan.

• caliking
    Options
    That is awesome! That's it I'm going to Lee's!!
    You will need a guide to get you there :) Canugghead's brother asked if I wanted to go somewhere "flashy" or somewhere no-frills but with great food, so we picked the latter. The restaurant is not much to look at, but the grub was amazing - very fresh, home-cooked, and deelish!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    So cool. :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's awesome. I always take pics. Geek or not.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Way cool story and just goes to show what a small world it really is.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Man that is a great story. What an adventure!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's an unbelievable story. That's such a freaking trip of what a small world we really live in. Thanks for sharing this story. :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Beautiful thread title man. You are gonna have to grow some dreads for Salado!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited November 2014
    Options

I insist. Pics or its all a pipedream.

BTW, this is awesome. Chinese food in India is totally another taste, for those who have not had it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Great story! Glad you had a good time.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    This is the best thing that I have read on here.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great story lucky to have friends like that always good to try diferent food and culturs
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Sounds like an episode of Anthony Bourdains Parts Unknown =P~
    Jacksonville FL
  • CMCordial
    Options
    EggHeads helping EggHeads...
    You can't make the Club in the Tub. Denver via Columbus.
    Lg, Mini & ol Webber
  • caliking
    Options
    Beautiful thread title man. You are gonna have to grow some dreads for Salado!

I can try :)

Aviator said:

I insist. Pics or its all a pipedream.

BTW, this is awesome. Chinese food in India is totally another taste, for those who have not had it.

I have to see if I can post the pic.

The food we ate was unique. Lighter flavors than usual Indian Chinese fare, but not bland by any means. The red sauce noodles had a slight sweetness from caramelized jiggery, I think. The steamed bhetki fish had a light but very flavorful soy ginger sauce, and the lemon preserve sauce tasted kind of  like nimbu achar (lime pickle). The shan tong didn't taste or look like beef, so it was like tasting a new kind of meat entirely. The soup we had was an egg drop hot and sour kind of soup, but not fiery hot and not overly sour. The chili chicken wasn't the usual with sauce thickened with corn starch - crispy fried chicken pieces with green chiles and just a touch of thin sauce for flavor. And I had never eaten handmade noodles in India before.

I wouldn't have been able to keep up with food pics anyways, since once the dishes started hitting the table, there were too many and I was busy stuffing my face!

• caliking
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Sounds like an episode of Anthony Bourdains Parts Unknown =P~
    Yep, a very fun outing :) Most people don't believe me when I tell them that Chinese folks have lived in India for that long, or that Kolkata has a Chinatown. There is an open air Chinese market that sits early in the morning, and we used to go there for dim sum when I was younger.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I know you had a great time.

I lived in China for 1 year (2010). I immersed into the authentic Chinese lifestyle and met many good friends...but none of them spoke English !!!  Then a Chinese guy I worked with went with me several times to authentic Chinese homes and restaurants....it was amazing. I loved everything about China...wish I could just stay and live there.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    @Caliking thanks for your kind words and visiting my folks, glad you had a good time and like the food I grew up with! Too bad we are missing each other there by just a few months, can't wait to be there ourselves!
    canuckland
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That's cool!

Options
    @Caliking thanks for your kind words and visiting my folks, glad you had a good time and like the food I grew up with! Too bad we are missing each other there by just a few months, can't wait to be there ourselves!

Nope, I thank you! As I said, hanging out with your peeps in Kolkata was definitely a highlight of our trip. Hope you have a wonderful trip too.

You may still be able to get nolen gurer rossogollas (rasgullas made with palm molasses) when you go in Feb. The ones from Vien on Theatre Road (crossing of Theatre Rd and Rawdon St) are my favorites. They are usually available after 4pm or so, but they sell out quickly.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Awesome story Cali

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks so much for the story. Very cool.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

What a small world.  Great story!  Thanks for sharing it.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Great once in a life time event. Loved it! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Great story, wish I could have tagged along.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That really is a cool story. Gives me hope in this world...nice post, very nice post.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA