Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever bust an EGG

Options

Wanting to cook some steaks for me an Mrs Cactus tonight.  I am worried about cracking my Egg since it is so freezing a$$ cold.  Anyone have issues cooking in subfreezing temps?  I use a weed burner to light lump. Will my Egg take the change in temp ok?

thanks,

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    You should be fine. Canadians cook on theirs in the dead of winter. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2014
    Options
    l have egged when it was -14 here in IL. You'll be fine!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    BTW our distributor loves to tell the story of how eggs are tested for thermo shock. He says they run an egg up to 800 dome and then open it and dump a 5 gallon bucket of ice in!
  • cactus_darrell
    Options
    Yes, it gets cold here, this week low teens with 50mph wind. You can't put enough clothes on to stay warm.  I don't know what the wind chill was but my wiener dogs wouldn't go outside with out their coats. burrrrrr

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

Amarillo, Texas

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I live in southern Pennsylvania and cook on mine all year.  I have cooked many a steak in the Winter - just brush off the snow and light it up (I don't use a weed burner, though).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    How cold is it in Texas?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    My pitbull won't go outside without a jacket on if it's under 35 so I feel your pain.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    How cold is it in Texas?
    Its so cold that the briskets jiggle.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Yes, it gets cold here, this week low teens with 50mph wind. You can't put enough clothes on to stay warm.  I don't know what the wind chill was but my wiener dogs wouldn't go outside with out their coats. burrrrrr
    lol, not bashing or anything, but low teens??? i was out at a remote cottage for new years last year far from cell service and any sort of grid and we grilled up new years supper at -40F ambient lol. Your right about  the dogs though, mine tried to take a leak with 3 legs up and failed miserably. not saying im a "cold" tough guy because i hate anything below 0F, but your egg won't get hurt, we've got the R&D up here to prove it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    MN winters + Weed burner = All Good
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How cold is it in Texas?

We have a 8am Tee Time in the morning. Lol. It's a charity tournament. Mid 50s, windy and rain in the forcast. Might be an Irish Whiskey kind of start...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Justacookin
    Options

WE play in Minnesota till it snows but when it gets cold they won't let you out until the frost is of the greens not kidding.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Who cares if you bought it new you have a warranty. I have had 3 bases crack through the years but that just means you get a new white one to break in.
  • cactus_darrell
    cactus_darrell Posts: 68
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    How cold is it in Texas?

We have a 8am Tee Time in the morning. Lol. It's a charity tournament. Mid 50s, windy and rain in the forcast. Might be an Irish Whiskey kind of start...

Texas is BIG, I am probably as close to Canada as I am to the Gulf. We get cold here but is really the wind chill that is the real problem. Like I said, it is not unusual to have a 30 to 50 mile an hour wind along with low teens or single digit weather. Especially this time of the year, it blows so hard it has blown the Christmas lights right off my roof!  I'm not talking gusts but a constant wind.  I think Amarillo is the real" windy city". Starting to look like Holland around here with all the wind generators they have been installing. I need to get me one of those!! every time it rotates it makes money. yea baby, more eggcessories.

I am playing in the morning also, I have my cart cover and my propane heater already loaded up. Just got some new ProV1s ready to hit the links, if the greens thaw out.

Amarillo, Texas

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I have baked pizza at 800F on the egg while the temp outside was close to -40F outside... your egg will not crack.

If all you -40 people were like me, the great white north would be a ghost town and we'd all be REALLY close friends down here. GOOD GRIEF! That's just inhumane.
  • RRP
    Options
    If all you -40 people were like me, the great white north would be a ghost town and we'd all be REALLY close friends down here. GOOD GRIEF! That's just inhumane.
    I hear you but some of the benefit is our cold kills the nasty bugs that some others have to put up with year around!  Just sayin...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @RRP‌ Luckily, I'm north of the gnat line. We get several sub freezing days each year, but admittedly, have a longer bug season than some. Sub-zero is possible for us for very short times, but -40? No thanks. Gnat line is further south around the Cumberland Plateau.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I will take bugs all day long over cold. Its mid 20's here this morning and I have to go out and pressure wash my pavers. I wish there were some gnats flying around.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Is it time for the "Rodeo Song"...and forty below? :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I lit my egg at 8:30 this morning in the upper 20's

Butt was on at 9. 

Locked in at 275 as if it were 90 degrees. 

New Albany, Ohio