Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Flashlights

Options
SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
My brother has just been accepted into a 'Search & Rescue' school that is part of the local fire dept. It's a 4 month long school. I'd love to buy him a flashlight ... thing is, I don't know anything about them.

What do S&R people use? Anyone have any idea what the best is?
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Stream light is about as good as one could hope for. Expensive, but top of the line my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @SGH ... money is not the issue, I just want him to have the very best. Thanks - Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @SGH ... money is not the issue, I just want him to have the very best. Thanks - Tim

That said, buy him one of the top end stream lights. I have 2 myself. One was purchased in 1988 and the other in 1991. A SL-20x and a SL-30x. Both have been used very hard for hunting at night for over 20 years. Never any problems at all with either. They are truly the BGE of flash lights.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    +1 for Stream Light
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Agreed. I have two as well. Get the LED with lithium ion batteries.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm part of a volunteer SAR group.  I currently have a Streamlight Sidewinder Compact on my helmet.  Mine is a Military Model – White/Red/IR-IFF/Blue (starts on low & progressively brightens).

Have a couple of guys carrying Streamlight Stingers that they can recharge in the vehicle and at home.  I haven't broke down to get one yet.  The stingers have the ability to add light cones onto them for directing traffic or a helo on landing.

I also run a 4-Sevens Quirk AA as my EDC light, but also goes on missions with me.

I have also seen some SureFire stuff, but don't much about them.

Hope that helps @SoCalTim.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • SGH
    Options
    tkleager said:
    I'm part of a volunteer SAR group.  I currently have a Streamlight Sidewinder Compact on my helmet.  Mine is a Military Model – White/Red/IR-IFF/Blue (starts on low & progressively brightens).

Have a couple of guys carrying Streamlight Stingers that they can recharge in the vehicle and at home.  I haven't broke down to get one yet.  The stingers have the ability to add light cones onto them for directing traffic or a helo on landing.

I also run a 4-Sevens Quirk AA as my EDC light, but also goes on missions with me.

I have also seen some SureFire stuff, but don't much about them.

Hope that helps @SoCalTim.

The small stinger is what I use when inspecting onshore pipe lines at night. Everything stream light offer is top tier.

Status- Standing by.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Buy the best.  Buy Surefire.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2xwqD9spsE

The 12 gauge below has a Surefire G2X Tactical, XDm a Surefire X-400 laser light combo.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• scootr2200
    Options
    I have a couple Fenix brand lights that I love!  They are small, handheld, and have great optics.  I have a Petzel head lamp that I bought used many years ago that still works great to this day.

As for SAR, I would look into a headlamp style along with a good hand held.  At night, it gets rather cumbersome to have a tracking stick in one hand, a radio, search pack, water, and trying to shine a handheld down the path.  Oh, and there is often times where you will be carrying your patient out on a stokes basket.

I am a fan of LED lights and always having extra batteries!

Mickey
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Oh wow - lotsa great info. Thanks!!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Fenix and JetBeam are great to at half the price. I've carried a Fenix in my flight suit for 10 yrs. I have streamlight and surefire weapons lights too. All good.
  • SGH
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Oh wow - lotsa great info. Thanks!!

As with most things, there are many great manufactures out there. I recommended stream light as I have had hands on experience with them as well as many years of good luck with them. I think in this case what may be more important than the brand is matching the correct type of light to his intended use. Example, a Q Beam is excellent for shining the back 40 at night when looking for deer, but it is useless trying to inspect the internal root pass on a 2" piece of pipe. On the other hand a small pin light is perfect for inspecting the internal root pass of a 2" piece of pipe but is totally useless trying to shine the back 40 for deer.

Status- Standing by.

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ill throw in a vote for the streamlight stinger. That thing puts out some light. !!!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like my Surefire, but I've only had it for about 5 years. It's my egging light. 

For SAR recommendations, go to http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

Near the top of the page, do this...

Lots of recommendations. CPF is like the eggheadforum for flashlights. Those guys are anal too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @carolina_Q geez i just spent 20 minutes reading about flashlights.  there are way more flashlights than ceramic cookers.  imagine the debates they have.... about flashlights!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    blind you got me interested. Wow, who knew there were so many different flashlights!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I somehow cheated young Travis out of this at Salado 2 yrs ago. It is freaking awesome. It's the size of a sharpie but brighter than a big mag light. Still using the same batteries too! I can only imagine what one of their bigger lights would put out. This is the "yeti" of flashlights as far as I'm concerned. Sold! (rather stolen but that is a different story) image
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother Tex, you did notice what brand that I both use and recommended. Someone who has never used a stream light just really don't understand the difference. Seeing is believing.

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, you did notice what brand that I both use and recommended. Someone who has never used a stream light just really don't understand the difference. Seeing is believing.
    I didn't even know the brand until you mentioned it. I checked and as soon as I saw that, i had to share. If there is a better light out there, I would love to see it. you are dead right on this one- it's awesome.

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    I didn't even know the brand until you mentioned it. I checked and as soon as I saw that, i had to share. If there is a better light out there, I would love to see it. you are dead right on this one- it's awesome.

All the Native Americans around here refer to me as "Seldom Wrong" or "Often Right" instead of Scottie ;)

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have two Streamlights and a Streamlight TLR-2 on my CCW. One of them is a pen light and the other is larger. Both of them have seen a lot of abuse from me using them at work constantly and they operate perfect.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Ok, finally something I know something about. 

You have received all good choices so far but allow me to offer my opinion based on many years of very hard flashlight use. 

Surefire is the best. It is by far the most expensive but they top the list for durability and customer service. 

Streamlight is a very close second. (I would not hesitate to buy one and have many times)

Fenix, Quark, Oilight, and Pelican are other very nice choices. 

The hardest part is finding out what size and style he wants. I suggest getting one with a Cree LED and that takes 3v Lithium ( aka 123A). I'll include my two fav hand held size and pocket size lights. I will also include a link to what I think he may find the most useful. I have the combo in the link and it is super bad ass. Here is the LINK

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Left to right. 4sevens preon 1, streamlight pro tac 2L, surefire lumax L4, 4sevens mini 123. image
  • travisstrick
    Options
    This LINK  is to a new model of surefire. Thats what I would buy if money was no object. 

Also, I think replaceable batteries are a must. For a man out in the field, with no way to recharge or time to do it, having a few sets of batteries in your pocket is priceless. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I somehow cheated young Travis out of this at Salado 2 yrs ago. It is freaking awesome. It's the size of a sharpie but brighter than a big mag light. Still using the same batteries too! I can only imagine what one of their bigger lights would put out. This is the "yeti" of flashlights as far as I'm concerned. Sold! (rather stolen but that is a different story) image

I can't believe you still have that. Also, nice NewTrent airbender iPad case. Or is that an ASUS laptop?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I can't believe you still have that. Also, nice NewTrent airbender iPad case. Or is that an ASUS laptop?

That's my iPad case. It's not very new. It's brookstone.

I can't believe I stii have that light either but I love it so much I watch it like a hawk. I won't let the kids touch it. You will learn soon enough that kids rooms are where all your cool **** goes to die.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My phone has a helluva flashlight app...I mount it to my ar
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2014
    Options
    NewTrent is the brand not its age. I have the same one. 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I have two Streamlights and a Streamlight TLR-2 on my CCW. One of them is a pen light and the other is larger. Both of them have seen a lot of abuse from me using them at work constantly and they operate perfect.
    What the hell do you carry? I have the same light on my Glock 17. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I dont know what application would be optimal for this but I like my Surefire tactical lights.
    Jacksonville FL