Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook time for Costco Prime Brisket

Options
I am cooking my first Prime Packer Brisket from Costco tonight. Previously I cooked choice and allowed for 1.5 hrs per lb at 225 grid using my Digi Q. Should I allow less time per lb cooking a Prime? Non trimmed wt is 12 1/2 lbs. Fat cap is about an inch on one side of the brisket. I estimate I will lose 1-2 lbs after trimming. Does that sound correct? Guests are arriving at 4:30 and would like to serve around 5:30. I want to time this so that is not done too early. If needed I can FTC but if it is only anhour per lb that will change my start time.

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Wish I could get prime brisket at Costco in Nashville.!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Heck wish we had a Costco
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    At 225 it is probably going to be 1.5 hours. I like cooking at 250 to 275. It still gets a lot of smoke, but is about a pound per hour. Are you serving tonight or tomorrow? If tonight get it on, but I take it it's for tomorrow. I've put a few 14 to 15 pound trim briskets on at midnight at 250 to 275 and the they were done in 14 to 15 hours. I don't think prime over choice makes that much difference in cooking time unless it has a lot of marbling. I have FTC'd a brisket for 7 hours and it was still hot to the touch. Better to be done a little early then late.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It's no different than a choice or select grade hunk of meat, with regards to cooking time or temperature. You are splitting hairs, IMHO.
    Dave - Austin, TX