Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Recipe Wanted

Options
I love salmon on the BGE, but always cook it the same way.  

Any good ideas out there?

Comments

• Mckeanksu
    Options
    I cook it on a plank at 425 for 10 minutes, with olive oil and Dizzy Pig rub.  Wondering if there are any good marinades or cooking methods.  I might even try cold smoking
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I have an idea - put some mayo on it! No, not kidding. I do mayo, shallots, diced red peppers, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper. Cook salmon 350, raised grate, direct on a plank. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    You can blacken on a cast iron skillet. Or do honey, brown sugar and a little rub of choice.
    Greensboro, NC
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Try brining it for an hour before cooking. Gallon of water, cup of kosher, I like to use maple syrup and honey instead of sugar, half a cup total.

Some rinse the fish after brining, I don't. It has a nice shine.

Raised indirect, 350f half hour depending on thickness. I like to pull it when I see those little white fat "zits" emerging and it feels like a medium steak. Should be about 135f - 140f 

Garnish with sliced green onion. I like to have a pan of sliced in half brussel sprouts in there with it, some olive oil and pepper, salt when they're finished.

My local BGE dealer sponsors dinner a couple times a month - this is his recipe.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    400 raised direct for 15 min. I also brine before hand. Oh, and apply Dizzy Raging River.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Mckeanksu
    Options
    Great ideas!  Thank you guys
  • Hogman348
    Options
    This is the best salmon i have ever had. you can do it with or without the cedar plank and the onions are awesome addition. make plenty of the glaze, its a show stopper and i put the left over glaze in the fridge and put it on all kinds of stuff over the next few weeks. (like your fingertip to tongue!) yum!

those potatoes it recommends are amazing too

:)
    Woodstock, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'll add a thin layer of pesto and then panko breadcrumbs.  Slow roast at 275-300 for about 25 minutes (depending on thickness), until done.  We usually do this in the oven so we can turn on the broiler at the end and brown the panko, but doing it on the egg would be fine too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    Options
    My method of choice has been to coat both sides lightly with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and A1 sweet mesquite dry rub seasoning. Cook raised direct at about 400° using a fruit type wood for smoke (used pecan chips the other day and it turned out fantastic). Cook to your level of done-ness then remove salmon from the Egg. Once plated I drizzle a little Lawry's Hawaiian marinade on it. Delicious! My kids can't get enough
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My method is similar to @Acn but instead of pesto I make a honey-mustard glaze with 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon melted butter.  Put on the fish and top with panko mixed with parsley.  The panko provides a nice crust and the honey-mustard tastes great with salmon. 
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    This is my families favorite.  www.kayotic.nl/blog/cedar-plank-salmon  
    It has Apricot Preserves, white wine, Soy Sauce, Grainy mustard, jalapenos. 
    Always a hit.  Simple recipe.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mckeanksu
    Options
    Looks like I need to cook salmon all week to try these! I'll let you guys know how they go!
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO18Bowup00 I make a version of this - check it out - he uses a BGE - 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Fresh salmon is smoked on the EGG until flaky and tender.

Ingredients

• 1 pound fresh salmon
    • basic brine, see recipe
    • Big Green Egg Kodiak River Rub, as desired
    • alder wood, for smoking

Directions

• 1. Brine the salmon for 30 minutes. Remove from the brine and pat dry. Season with the rub. Preheat the EGG to 225º using indirect heat and the smoking wood. Smoke the salmon until it begins to flake approximately 30-40 minutes.
    This recipe is from my BGE Indianapolis dealer, caterer, chef, all around great guy that sponsors a monthly dinner date for customers and sources locally.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Jopast
    Jopast Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Easy Peasy quick recipe Always start with fresh salmon or steelhead trout... I always get a 12 inch head cut and not the whole fillet... Just personal preference not to get the thin tip. 1) rinse fish and pat it dry 2) apply thin layer of olive oil over all sides 3) dust with salt and pepper 4) place the fillet on cedar plank and put it in your preheated BGE (375 to 400 degrees)... stay close to the temp range, but don't get hung up on the exact temp... It shouldn't be in there long enough to matter. Beware - people often overcook fish and change the flavor and texture profile. 5) cook on indirect heat for 8-10 minutes and then check meat by gently pushing thickest part with fork... If under gentle pressure it begins to flake and separate just a little... Then it's time to apply glaze. 6) spoon glaze over fish and close the lid for another 3-4 minutes. remove and let rest uncovered for 10 minutes while you enjoy a beer Glaze: What you'll need. Brown deli mustard, dark brown sugar, soy sauce, minced ginger. 4 tablespoons of brown sugar 1 tablespoon of ginger 1 tablespoon of mustard Mix the ingredients above and add 5 or so tablespoons of soy sauce so that the consistency is thick and fluid, but not runny. Everything should be well blended.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    BBQ salmon over cheese grits
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013