Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt in the cold...

Options

My family is about due for another pork butt cook from the BGE.  Sad news is that we're in the midst of this polar vortex thing and it's darned cold out (Southern Kansas).  I was hoping to do the cook on Saturday, but with the possibility of maybe a couple inches of snow, I don't know if I can make myself do it.  Maybe if I have a fire going inside in the fireplace I can convince myself. 

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    The egg works well in the cold, you'll be fine.  

Besides you don't need to be outside much with a pork butt.  Fire-up the egg, put it on and go inside until its done.  :)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ Lol. +1. You will only be out there a couple of times. Set up the grill get it going put the meat on and enjoy some good eats!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Just throw it in the crockpot with a whole bottle of liquid smoke and it should come out the same
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    EGG ON Kansas, you can do it!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Eggers are not wusses 

Egg up! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Justacookin
    Options
    Cooked wings on the egg last year a 17 below not counting the wind chill the Egg will perform you just need to man up don't need a fire either just hug the Egg. Just giving you a hard time have fun.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    Just throw it in the crockpot with a whole bottle of liquid smoke and it should come out the same

:-& :-O :-&

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    You can ship that large over here for the winter  :D
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The struggle is real...

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    A butt is a great choice for a cold day. If it were burgers you'd be outside flipping and freezing. With a butt, you can stay warm inside the house while it cooks. Go for it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Butts and briskets, weather doesn't impact my plans.

I have some monster rib chops (cowboy steaks) in the sous vide for the afternoon. I was going to sear them on the egg after baking potatoes out there. However, it was sleeting, now just switched to snow. Potatoes are currently in the oven, I think I'm going to finish the steaks with Kenji's combo pan/torch method:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Walt is my kinda guy! Except I would leave out the liquid smoke.  :))

Matthew, a few years ago, my SIL actually bought me a pair of gloves that DO work on iStuff. About the only time I wear gloves is when I'm using the snowblower though. And these gloves would be worthless for that. I have never worn them.

I used to egg in all weather. Rain, snow, below 0°, didn't matter. Then, the new wore off. I still egg in the snow (the BEST!) and cold (though I have my limits), but if it's raining, you can find me in the kitchen! I used to, but decided that was just stupid. :)

And just remember, boys and girls, if you go outside to prep the egg for a cook and then decide to cook inside after all... don't forget to close the dome. Or you may wake up to a surprise! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I figured all you folks would talk me into it. I guess I'll go ahead and get the butt defrosting.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You don't have to defrost. It will take a little longer, but it'll cook just fine right out of the freezer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• marine_man
    Options
    The cold is when I appreciate the temperature controller / monitor (whatever your flavor) the most... no poking my head outside to see what the dome temp is... just check the monitor!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you hug the egg, post pics. Can't be as disturbing as @henapple‌ avi :))
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Cold weather is never a barrier to cooking on an egg.  You may need to adjust the opening of the lower vent, but that's about all.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Man up bro, its a low of 49 here and I'm stll egging wearing shorts :-\"
    Jacksonville FL
  • tridogdude
    Options
    Polar vortex is just a new description of an old term they used to call "A cold spell" there in the nanny state of the Lower 48.  You aren't going to get any sympathy from us up here in Alaska. Get out there and cook that. Hell, just crack a bottle of cognac and get after it. That always takes the chill off. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    this polar vortex sucks, it gets much colder Ima need a wind breaker or something. It's below 40!
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BRush00 said:

If I told you I was from Canada - have probably 5" of snow in my back yard right now, more on the way, and I'll still be eggin this weekend.... THEN called you a wussy......

Would that be sufficient motivation?

@BRush00

Is that a Canuk term..."Wussy".......oh it must be a blend of two words...like Warm and Fussy?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    itsmce said:
    I figured all you folks would talk me into it. I guess I'll go ahead and get the butt defrosting.

That's the spirit @itsmce‌. We'll be looking forward to the pics and details. If you have a Thermoworks thermo, leave it out in the outside ambient air for a few minutes so we can see what your working with. Have fun. Remember, no backing out.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Walt2015 said:

That sounds great, what's the recipe? =)) :-q
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    I plan to fire up the Egg for a butt cook at 8AM tomorrow - upper 20's in the ATL. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    BRush00 said:

If I told you I was from Canada - have probably 5" of snow in my back yard right now, more on the way, and I'll still be eggin this weekend.... THEN called you a wussy......

Would that be sufficient motivation?

@BRush00

Is that a Canuk term..."Wussy".......oh it must be a blend of two words...like Warm and Fussy?

Haha - not quite.... Via Urban Dictionary:

wussy
    half wimp half ****
    check out that wussy running from the moose! ( :)) quite the Canuck example of Wussy though!)
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited November 2014
    Options

AND - just to add some more encouragement @itsmce; I've got a  Costco wagyu style RibEye defrosting on the counter for tonight's egging.

It's currently 9degrees F/-13C

Welcome to Winter everyone!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • THEBuckeye
    edited November 2014
    Options

Prepped the butt and egg for Saturday morning. 

Currently 44 in Atlanta , will light the egg between 8-9 at 25. 

Last night I did reverse sear rib-eye and filet and found the more Tito's I drank the less cold it was outside!  
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    gets much colder here in GA we may have to put on a windbreaker or something!
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    It's currently 36 and mostly sunny.  I may have to prep the egg when I get home in an hour.  I typically cook the pork butts turbo method so I won't be lighting it until tomorrow morning.