Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yellow Split Pea soup - any secrets?

Options
I've got smoked ham hocks, carrots, celery, a bag of dried split peas and a sense of adventure. Any secret ingredients from my fellow Eggers? Particularly interested in a Canadian spin...
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Wish that I could help sister but I'm about as good at soup as I am at pizza. No help here my friend. Sorry.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Bump..... Hoping that someone can help sister Foodie.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    well, i'm about as far from Canadian as Scottie so I'm out..
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I always make my soups with chicken broth and or chicken base. Other than that soups get the kitchen sink and whatever I have in the fridge or freezer. I have never made the same soup twice. Call it an adventure and throw it in the pot. You seem to be off to a good start with the hock and veggies. Don't forget a scoop sour cream in your bowl with some croutons. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    So far, let the hocks render then threw in the onions, carrots, and celery (two of each, diced) with the rendered hock oil and some evoo. Threw in some fresh chopped garlic, thyme, and some rosemary left on the sprig I snipped. Threw in the bag of yellow split peas. Covered with half chix stock and veggie broth. A bit of fresh cracked black pepper and some hot sauce. Now to simmer, simmer. Wondering if I should throw in a bay leaf...
    Sandy
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Yes. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @PNWFoodie that sound excellent, my mom made a great split pea soup when I was a kid, yes on the bay leaf! I remember getting it in my bowl a few times!!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @anton‌ You have convinced me. In it goes, sir. :)
    Sandy
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @PNWFoodie, I smell victory! Enjoy thta wonderful soup!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    when  i do that soup at home i add some liquid  smoke to it  and if you need to enhance the flavour i add some chicken stock( powder or liquid)
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now