Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

STAPLE COOK: Turkey Breasts (pics)

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited November 2014 in Poultry
Turkey Breasts are now one of our staple cooks.  2 hour brine using the quick Blonder Brine  . . then tie-up for even cooking, then cover in dry rub, then put a large pad of butter under the skin.  This time I went with (1) Mickeys Coffee Rub & (1) Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.  Grilled indirect at 275F until Turkey reached 165 internal temp.  Grilled them both over a tin foil pan stuffed full of cabbage/carrot/onion/worchestire/butter/s&p/dizzy-dust.  Good eats! 

NOTE: I have found that Whole Foods boneless turkey breasts taste MUCH better than the turkey I get from Kroger.  I know many here think WF is a waste of money, but I am a big fan of their poultry.  Go ahead and poke fun, but I will ALWAYS pay more for a free range bird or eggs!    

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That sliced pic...yum!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    That looks awesome man! Great job!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Great job! I got one thawing now
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I agree on higher end poultry. It's amazing how much better the flavor is.
  • NewEggGuy1945
    Options
    Yummy!  How long per pound?  I don't want to have to keep opening the BGE and checking the temp.  I agree that is money well spent.  Why go to the trouble of cooking inferior meat?
    Thanks. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I would devour that!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Found this searching for turkey for next week. Day um. Nice job. Have you tried it w a bone in breast?
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks - love this cook b/c of leftovers that keep giving.  Just finished it up last night -  this round we made killer Turkey Rubuens / BLT + Turkey Wraps / Buffalo Turkey Salads.  

@neweggguy1945 the breasts are usually between 2 & 3 lbs each.  I use a wireless internal thermometer, so no need to open the egg until its done.  I pull at 165.
    @ksmyrl I have not tried bone in but I would like to & I would approach it the same as boneless.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm guessing that the veggies stay in for the entire cook. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NDG
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes - just make sure to rase the aluminum pan off the hot platesetter a little bit (let air flow underneath) so the liquid does not burn.  I used 4 small squars of aluminum foli to rise the pan up a quarter inch or so.
    Columbus, OH