Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopop?

Options
Anyone have the Thermoworks Thermopop? My Thermapen crapped the bed so I need a new one. They are going to refurb it for me for $25 which is awesome but while I was on their site I noticed the Thermapop. It's backlit, has a rotating display so you can see it from any angle, and it's only $29. Am I missing something? I'll be glad to get my Thermapen back but I would also love to have a few of these if they are what they look like for $29.

Sounds like a great Christmas presents for fellow eggheads too ($24 if you buy 5 or more)

Thoughts?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    i bought one as my starter thermometer and couldn't be happier. Fairly quick to read temp and accurate for my cooks. People have commented in the past about the few extra seconds but hasn't bothered me yet with my gloves on.

I also don't use it over incredibly hot temps as most of these times I'm just searing for a crust

Overall a great deal
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My buddy has one, I've used it, works great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I don't have the Thermopop, but I do use the RT600 Super-Fast Pocket Thermometer from them. I really like it and would venture to say the Thermopop (like the Thermapen) would work just fine.

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have two pens but I decided a while ago that I'd get the pop if they ever crap out. For $29 you can leave it outside or bang it around in a drawer without worrying.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

I have it and love it.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have two pens but I decided a while ago that I'd get the pop if they ever crap out. For $29 you can leave it outside or bang it around in a drawer without worrying.
    that's my thought too. have one in the kitchen, one outside and maybe one in the travel gear. I'll get my pen back in a few weeks so figured to have a few different options would be good.thanks for the input all.  I figured they were as advertised as they run a pretty good shop over there. I'll grab a few and let you guys know what I think.

I thought $25 for a full refurb on my thermapen was a pretty good deal too. They said they would run a full warranty check to make sure it's not covered (I cracked the case somehow so I doubt it) and anything outside the warranty is $25 flat fee to fix. Works for me.

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    i have one works great....just a tad slower than my thermapen
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    I have one and it works quite well.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I have a Thermopop & a Thermopen.
    The Pop isn't as fast reading the temps, but are just as accurate.
    I'd add 3 or 4 seconds to the Pop vs the Pen. 
    Thermoworks often run sales that are worth a purchase.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I have a pop, got it in June and really like it. Seemed like a deal to me at a quarter of the price for a pen. The one or two seconds slower than the pen does not bother me.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Well worth it. I like the design better than the Thermapen. You'll like it, go for it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grey_bri
    Options
    I have one and I think it works great. Not all that long to get a reading maybe 5 seconds. I can wait that long 
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I just got my pop in the mail yesterday.  Looks like a good choice.  I will gladly wait a couple seconds to save a bunch of money.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks all. Just ordered 5 so I would get the deal and have a few to give away for Christmas this year.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would save them for your friends in Salado...just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    I have both.  The pop is indeed a few seconds slower than the pen, at times seems like an eternity after using the pen.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have both. The pop is great, the pen is better.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I have a pop also and it works great. You can't go wrong for $25 bucks.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I have both. The pop is great, the pen is better.

kind of what I figured. I'll give them both a rip.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've had one for the last 4 months or so and it is the best temp gauge I have had so far. It's not as fast as his big brother, but it gets the job done.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Using mine 5 to 6 times a week, no regrets......but its the faster orange one. ;)
    Jacksonville FL
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    grey_bri said:
    I have one and I think it works great. Not all that long to get a reading maybe 5 seconds. I can wait that long 
    I must have got a dud, my Thermapen takes more than 5 seconds to settle in.

New Brunswick, Canada

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    My thermopop is off about 4 degrees but pretty dang quick reading the temp. I've never used a thermapen but I like the pop just fine. 
    Dallas, TX
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I have both - the pop is at a remote location. The pen is better because of speed. If it ever goes down, though, I'll probably get another pop. The important thing is that every egger should have some quick reading thermometer. The thermopen is out of some folks' budget. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Newport65
    Options
    I was able to buy mine 4 months ago because it came in my wife's favorite color, purple.  Works great, great price, use it all the time

Farmington, CT

LBGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The thermopop is great. Buy a few.

I don't feel the love for the thermapen that most do (despite having a red one, which we all know is the fastest one). I had the R-600c before, and it worked fine, but the numbers were kinda small and it didn't have the auto-off feature. I bought a Thermopop a while back and actually like it (and use it) more than the Thermapen - rotating display, backlit, large numbers, and I can live with it taking 3 seconds longer than the Thermapen. The pop lives outside by the eggs, and the Thermapen lives indoors. In fact, I think I've used the Thermapen more for checking the pool temp than for cooks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

I don't feel the love for the thermapen that most do (despite having a red one, which we all know is the fastest one). I had the R-600c before, and it worked fine, but the numbers were kinda small and it didn't have the auto-off feature. I bought a Thermopop a while back and actually like it (and use it) more than the Thermapen - rotating display, backlit, large numbers, and I can live with it taking 3 seconds longer than the Thermapen. The pop lives outside by the eggs, and the Thermapen lives indoors. In fact, I think I've used the Thermapen more for checking the pool temp than for cooks!
    that's what I figured. The biggest problem I have with the pen is that mine isn't backlit and it seems i'm alwasy reading it upside down in the dark.I love the pen but I'm looking forward to the the pop too. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I have the super fast pocket and it works great for $19..., no back lite though
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

that's what I figured. The biggest problem I have with the pen is that mine isn't backlit and it seems i'm alwasy reading it upside down in the dark.I love the pen but I'm looking forward to the the pop too. 
    My Thermapen is backlit, but I still like the pop more. The folding probe of the Thermapen bothers me, because I'm always worried that I'm going to stab myself with it trying to open/close it. Or break it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

My Thermapen is backlit, but I still like the pop more. The folding probe of the Thermapen bothers me, because I'm always worried that I'm going to stab myself with it trying to open/close it. Or break it.

I have done all of those things. They are why it is in for servce as we speak.