Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there such a thing as a 6 lb packer trimmed?

Options
My local butcher trims their own packers. No cryovacs. They had whole packer set aside for me that is around 6 LBs trimmed with 1/4 fat cap. Price is 6.99 per lb choice. Their meat quality is typically better in terms of marbling. Does this sound correct?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Yes. I've gotten smaller. Depends on how long they let the cow go before butchering. I cooked a local grown grass fed 5.46 lber in 7.5 hours at 250F grate level. Still think it might have been one of my best. So tender. if I could get to the local farmer's market more, I'd start cooking two or three of those suckers instead of one huge one. BTW my philosophy is not to cook one larger than 13 lbs. Them big honkin' 18lbers are old cows and are tougher. The smaller they are, the more tender they seem to be IMHO. Take that for what its worth.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Must be from a calf.
    Cookin in Texas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, small briskets can include a point, even from a full grown steer.

There are many factors, breed has a big impact. Holstein (typically dairy) vs Angus, etc.

Here's a 4lb whole packer I did awhile back:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Absolutely my friend. Whole packers come in many different shapes and sizes. As DMW mentioned above, there are several factors that will influence brisket hot and cold weight. Just a few are breed, age, diet, hormone use, anabolic steroids, genetic manipulation, free range, stalled, open range, final trim etc etc.... In general, the very small packers are not as commonly available as the mid to large size ones are, but they certainly exist. You can easily look at it and tell if the point is still attached if you are concerned that they are trying to sale you just a flat.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I called a local Costco and they had Prime packers in stock. I am now a new Costco member and will give this one a try tomorrow night. It is 12.50 lbs and I estimate it will be 10-11 lbs after I trim it. It was only 3.98 per lb due to the fat weight compared to the choice briskets they had which were more per lb.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Dude, that is a great score, Prime for that price, damn great deal. Hope it turns out well, post some $$shots for us to drool over.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    anton said:
    Dude, that is a great score, Prime for that price, damn great deal. Hope it turns out well, post some $$shots for us to drool over.
    :-bd

Thanks, after seeing what my local Costco has in stock I suspect that I may have been sold flats in the past. The price for whole packer choice at Costco was 6,99 per lb. I was told that was because there is more fat weight on the Prime.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wish I had your Costco nearby...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker