Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese

Options

Before I left for my Deer Camp 2 weeks ago I took a day and cooked some snack for the boys. very sorry no pics very rainy day. I smoked a 10 lb pork butt 3 jerked pork loins 30 choc. bourbon peacan tarts and 5 chunks of cheese. Everything was really good but the smoked cheese was to die for. I couldn't put it out fast enough! I did 3 blocks of old and 2 Gouda using Apple Wood. To smoke the cheese I used my Mini as the smoker and my Large as the house. JUst hooked up a piece of dryer vent to bottom of large and top of mini. Few pieces of lump in mini with two pieces of Apple wood. Smoked it for 2 hrs. I can't believe how it turned out for my first try!

I now have orders from guys at the camp to do some for them!  

Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Smoked cheese is one of my very favorites. It's a real treat for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Need to smoke some on thanksgiving for Christmas day
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    That's a good idea man. I don't have a mini but I'm hoping to get the elusive mini max for Xmas. I'm going to have to try.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That's a good idea man. I don't have a mini but I'm hoping to get the elusive mini max for Xmas. I'm going to have to try.

naked whiz has a cold smoker set up like this with a paint can in place of mini if you want to try before hand. Haven't tried it myself, yet....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

You can pull it off with just about any 2 cookers. It doesnt have to be a mini and a large. If you have a cheap bullet smoker on hand, you can pipe into it from your egg. A old barrel, a metal can, the options are near limitless. A 35 dollar Weber smokey Joe is another options. The little Joe makes a awesome hot dog cooker as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Amnps does this effortlessly.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    God job!! I need to smoke up some cheese now that its not so hot here in Texas that cheese would melt if you took it outside. Check out the Amazenpellet smoker thing a ma boppee.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    btw, it works with twigs, chips, pallets, saw dust...

canuckland
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've smoked a bunch of cheese and finally got around to using the A-Maze-N smoker tray.  Gotta say, easiest method to keep the smoke going for hours.  I put the tray on the lump grate and elevated the cheese on the adjustable rig.   The pellets come in various wood flavors but need to recognize that most flavor pellets use oak or hickory as a hard wood blend.  For example apple pellets won't be 100% apple but a blend of apple and hard wood.   I can see how the tray would work great for cold smoking fish.  Seems like there are two types of pellets, BBQ and furnace pellets.   Pellets are cheap when just looking for smoke, so I'm sticking with the BBQ.  

I'm gonna play some with it on the adjustable rig to see if it keeps smoking when hung over lump on a long cook (butts, briskets, ribs).   If it works, nice addition to adding smoke to long cooks. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I agree 100% with the A-Maze-N smoker.  I've used it to smoke cheese, nuts, and bacon with A-Maze-ing (terrible pun, sorry) success.  This thread reminds me, it's time to smoke some Christmas nuts and cheese.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    Before, after and the smoker I use.  I do lots of cheese...but in my electric smoker...She'll also hold 100 lbs of sausage...  The egg was a great addition to this.
    https://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/act/product.view/category_id/93/av/r/product_id/3412
    Tips.....It doesn't take long....3 hrs is usually just fine, or as stated above, 2.  If you go more, it can get too strong...I have gone 4-5 and it was fine...but it was applewood...I went that long with cherry and it was too strong.  I do a mix of them now, for 3 hours and it's happy.  Keep the temp low, they say under 90, but I set it to 73.  I wouldn't use hickory or anything strong like that....apple or cherry only for me or pecan...fruit woods for me
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    Or stay below 100...I forget...lol....I never get close.
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.