Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iGrill 2 finally arrived

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
My wife ordered me an iGrill 2 in the middle of August from FireCraft for my birthday. It arrived today. Whoohoo!
I opened it up and did a few comparisons against my ThermoPop. It's a lot slower than the ThermoPop, but that's to be expected. Even the ThermoPop was moving slow outside in the cold(or at least it seemed slow). This test was only with cold temps. Haven't cooked with it yet. Started out with room temperature and then went outside to see the time difference to final temp. End results are good, just slower. Can't wait to use it on a cook. Anybody else using one of these? Any tips?
imageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    How many probes? 1 or 2. How's the app work/look. Range?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    This is new to me, stick a probe in the meat, and it sends the results to your phone by bluetooth so you can "watch" your temp from the man cave?

So it's like the Maverick, only the sending unit is necessary, and your phone is the receiver?

Brilliant.  Doesn't need to be fast, just needs to be accurate.

Besides BlueTooth range issues, does the app on your phone signal when temp reaches X?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• stemc33
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @grege345‌, you can use up to 4 probes. It comes with two. I also purchased the ambient probe to measure grill temp. As far as the app, I haven't messed with it much. I've just been trying to sync my iPhone and iPad simultaneously(not sure if it's possible). I'll post more on the app when I cook with it. Range is rated at 150 feet. Haven't tested that either. It was -11° and I was in a hoody. I'll give more information when I get it.

@DieselkW‌, it's exactly like you described. Has the ability to set parameters and alarms. Also graphs your cooks.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Uhhhh. Are those the outside temps? Shhhsshhh
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • cajuncook
    Options
    I have the igrill 1. The range is very limited (50') and drops signal often I hope the range on the 2 is better than the 1.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dude....11 below? I remember those days. Never again. it was 40 today and you would have thought it was 11 below the way people were dressed :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stemc33
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First cook. I did a spatchcock with probes in the breast, thigh, and one the grate. Not sure if I like the app, but I think the more I familiarize myself with it the easier it will be to setup. I had to plug the probes back in to review the cook. Seems like there would be a way to save all the cooks and a way to easily recall the activity. I didn't push the boundaries on distance because I didn't want to mess around setting it up again. I also used the PS so the wires wouldn't be exposed to the fire. I think it will be great for long cooks, but seems like a hassle for short cooks. I cooked around 350° and my chicken took longer than raised direct, but it had the crispest skin on a chicken I've cooked.

Start of cook with probes in chicken and outside ambient temp.

Grate vs dome temp.

Graphs.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Science!! I like it, I am shopping a temp controller (lazily) , I like the graphs and all the nerdy stuff, might have to get something like yours down the road.
    :-B
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "