Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The High-Que bottom grate install and my findings.

Options
I bought the High-Que bottom grate to alleviate my issues with airflow, and to try to ease temp control and lighting times. I disassembled my medium egg, cleaned and vacuumed, fit High-Que grate in , then filled with new lump and added old lump I had set to the side, after sifting ash.

My findings;

Lit quicker
Came to temp faster
recovered faster after adding indirect plate and drip pan and meat
settings are different now, to get 350, my vent setting changed, there will be a learning curve to that aspect. (Vent settings)
Some small pieces of lump fell through the grate, no biggie, it stopped when it got covered.
Turbo cooking some ribs at 300-350 right now for a test run and in honor of our brother @SGH who could only get to the crock pot tonight, get well my man.
@logchief @FarmerTom hope this helps you guys as well

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @anton- I will be standing by with fork in hand my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @anton‌- You will enjoy that High Q Grate. It makes throttling the egg up and down much easier.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nice idea! The ribs look terrific.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @SGH,  I'm liking it so far, correct on the faster response (throttling) to vent changes. Be back later with the $$shot
  • SGH
    Options
    anton said:
    @SGH,  I'm liking it so far, correct on the faster response (throttling) to vent changes. Be back later with the $$shot

Standing by brother.

Status- Standing by.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I agree with all of your findings. Nice work.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I think I will buy one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I have posted several times before that the Hi-Que made a great difference in the med egg. I have a large and a med before I replaced the bottom grate in med I had a horrible time trying to get to temp and to regulate. I suggest a grate upgrade on the medium. I am not trying to sell a brand just saying there is a lot of room for improvement over stock.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Does anyone know if it works as well on a large?

• piney
    Options

yes I have one and love it
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @piney!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Glad you found it to your liking, most do. I feel they work best on the medium and large Eggs as these have smaller fire grates to start with. The stock grate on the XL has plenty of air flow and I don't see the need. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SGH
    Options

It absolutly makes a huge difference on the large. It and the Rutland are about the 2 best upgrades that you can make over OEM installs.

Status- Standing by.

• anton
    Options
    So to further assess the ability of the grate and provide more scientific data, I have stood in front of the egg, changed the daisy wheel from a half petal open, to wide open, and got a 25 degree jump in mere minutes, (like three). Then back to half petal, and drops back down quickly also. My conclusion in scientific terms is this thing is badass!! Here are some money shots of the test ribs, they ran at 325-350-325-350-325-350 hahaha, for just under two hours, @SGH turbo style. Used Stockyard Washington Apple rub on wet ribs(water).They were delicious. Simple with some buttered green beans.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Those bones speak for themselves!

• SGH
    Options
    Outstanding job my friend. They look incredible =D>

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nice. I see you didn't need any help with leftovers. :((

also dig the denim plates.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    If the Hi-Q increases airflow, how does it affect Low & Slow? 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • anton
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy, since I only did a semi high heat cook for first test 325-350, I don't have any data yet, but I speculate it will work fine, I played with vent settings and am confident with them choked back down where I usually have them for 225-250, I will get the desired temp. 350 today was achieved using less bottom vent than usual, possibly1/4 inch less. What I noticed most was the ability to change temps more rapidly than before.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Ribs look incredible. Thanks for the review. I will have to pick one up for the large.
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER‌ thank you also for the info on the XL. This means I will have money for other toys.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wonder what would happen if I drilled more holes in the stock bottom grate?

Reminds me of my dad - the man actually drilled holes in pennies because washers were 3¢ each.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    Options
    anton.  How stable is the High-Que ?  That has been my issue with the stock medium fire grate.  Just too easy to displace when stirring the old coals.  Hadn't really considered the increased airflow advantage, since this is my first egg, but can now see that may be a huge bonus.  I knew my egg was slow to respond to ventilation changes, I just assumed that was the way they all worked.  May have to give the High-Que a closer look.  Thanks again.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• piney
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Wonder what would happen if I drilled more holes in the stock bottom grate?

Reminds me of my dad - the man actually drilled holes in pennies because washers were 3¢ each.
    You can enlarge the holes and get more airflow but, I would just fabricate a new grate or buy one from Hi-Que or someone 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Think enough of them I have in my two Larges and Mini as well as a Small and Mini I sold. I will put one in the Mini Max if I get it. I am a believer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• anton
    Options
    @FarmerTom, my guess is it is as stable as the stock grate (it is not heavier). I do not stir or stoke my egg, once loaded the only thing I do and rarely, is add smoking wood. Usually I load my lump and smoking chunks and that's it. Only when I set up a fire do I take out old lump, clean ash, then re-assemble and fire! Hope this helps. Thanks for all the other comments and tips friends.