Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Grate Problem

Options
The fire grate in my medium egg doesn't fit securely.  I have to be extremely careful when stirring the old coals or it will flip up and let everything drop into the cleanout, which gets me thoroughly pissed off.  I met a neighbor egger yesterday (@ dldawes1 ) and discussed this with him.  He has a XL and says his grate fits snug.  Actually needs a tool to pop it out.  Is this a common issue with the Medium or could I maybe have been given the wrong fire grate?  Mine doesn't begin to seat into the bottom of the fire box, it rides up just a little above the opening.  I'm relatively new to the egg and until talking to Donnie, I just assumed this was the way they were made.                      

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It doesn't fit snug......it just sits in the lower fire box about a 1/2-1" about the bottom.  The reason the XL's grate doesn't move it because its 10x the weight of the medium's grate.  Rather than stir, just plunge the cleanout tool toward the grate, then pull the charcoal up toward you.  That seems to work a little better. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I would call the dealer, I have a large so don't know about med, but definitely sounds wrong.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I too have this same problem with my Medium Egg. I have explored a lot of options to correct this problem, but with no success. It seems like there are two problems: A) there isn't a snug fit and B) the grate is so light weight because of it's size that it flips over. I have heard that the Kick Ash Basket Co is working on a Medium prototype. Once this is released, the fire grate could be removed all together. As of now, we are stuck with what we have because the Medium Egg is not a very popular size. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    The medium fire grate DOES move, you must stir gently, or just pull all the old lump out, clean ash, then add more, it's a dirty process, but that's what gloves are for. I just purchased the High-Que fire grate which allows more airflow and is easier to control temps from what I've read, it will move even easier because it is even lighter.I have a small shop vac dedicated to the egg.

http://www.high-que.com/

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would be more concerned of cracking the firebox during expansion if it did fit tight. Both of my eggs have the HighQue grate and move very easily, you just need to be light handed when stirring the ashes and even then I still get the occasional spillage because of movement.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    in the older days people would increase air flow by raising the grate a quarter inch with bolts. that would fix your problem
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

I've got a large - and the fire grate does NOT sit tight either. 

Not really a defect, but a design choice.  I imagine the grate was left 'loose' so that it can expand when it gets hot.  If it were tight, and expanded, your egg would be broken.

Just be careful as you mix your lump up. 

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    OK....from what I understand from above comments...

(1).  Grate should not set securely..due to possible heat expansion and busting ceramic. (The large...has beveled opening in ceramic and beveled edge on grate to allow for heat expansion movement).

(2). Grate position/height can be modified to allow airflow around grate. If done correctly, the grate will be better stabilized in the bottom of the egg.

(3).  Should not be a problem adding hardware to modify the grate stability.

Job done !!! Already thinking of modification !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• dldawes1
    Options
    I am not an artist.

Any opinions on welding some flat tabs on the firegrate to stabilize it??  I have not seen inside a Med so I am not familiar with the design.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    :-?

The aftermarkets do the same thing. This is fuss over nothing. Just be cautious when stirring the lump, or carry on with a genius mod. =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited November 2014
    Options
    in the older days people would increase air flow by raising the grate a quarter inch with bolts. that would fix your problem
    You beat me to it Michael! Here's mine with 3 legs welded on so they rest on the bottom of the egg and stand slightly proud and do not rock at all!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I am not an artist.

Any opinions on welding some flat tabs on the firegrate to stabilize it??  I have not seen inside a Med so I am not familiar with the design.

What do you mean you are not an artist?  The tab on your drawing at the 8 o'clock position looks like Italy.  Nice job!

Living Large and XL

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I had airflow issues with my medium and bought a HIGH-QUE grate.  Airflow and ash build up problems solved.  Much easier to get up to temp now.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I am not an artist.

Not as elegant and sophisticated as welding, but few bolts and nuts from HD or Lowes can accomplish the same thing, imo.  If one of them is a U-bolt it can also be used as a handle to lift the grate. I understand each bolt will block up a hole but they can be adjusted to create a gap between the perimeter of the grate and the firebox for even more air space.
    canuckland
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited November 2014
    Options

Donnie - I thought you had drawn the elusive and endangered spotted sea turtle. 

As stated previously, the High-Que grate has worked well for me with the medium.  The ash falls right thru, not much stirring required.  I have not had any problems with the grate moving. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Another +1 on the High-Que grate. I have them in my large, and small. going on years, and no warping. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • dldawes1
    Options
    FYI,

I teach / counsel alcohol and drug addiction classes/groups. I draw lots of stick people figures and other simple drawings as illustrations....I think that is the only reason a lot of the folks stay awake...to make fun of my "artwork" !!!!!

I agree, a couple u-bolts 90 degrees from each other with washers could solve the problem easily.  

I'm not sure if I would want 'legs' protruding down to the bottom of the ash compartment. I do not dissasemble each cook, so they would get in my way of raking the ashes out before a cook. Just my opinion.

• anton
    Options
    This evening I will be using my High-Que grate for the first time , I will post my findings for you.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

@dldawes1-you stumbled into the right place for an alcohol addiction fueled forum.  :)>-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Yall are tame !!!!  In my younger years......

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    This happens to me on my mini all the time..kinda ticks me off. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    The MBGE comes with a beveled grate and it does move around if you push/pull on it. I did convert to the High-Que for better air flow on low and slows, it moves as well. 

Why are you stirring anything? Dump some new lump on the top if you need it, rake the ash out the bottom and turning the ash tool on its side, rake the space between the fire box and the base, then out the bottom vent. 
    There is no need to vacuum anything. If the vent holes in the fire box plug, poke a stick in or use your gasser's venturi brush to clear them. 

Don't over think this, it is not rocket science. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FarmerTom
    Options

Thanks to all.  I thought that perhaps I had been given the wrong grate.  But I was at a BGE dealer today and saw that was not the issue.  An employee there has a medium and has the same problem..The medium grate is SO much lighter than the larger sizes that it moves EXTREMELY easily.  When doing a longer cook, I like to stir the lump to get the dust out, and then scoop out the unburned lump to add around the sides of new lump( I am new to this and have not always had high quality lump).  More on this in a different post.. 

Having the grate flip up and dump everything into the cleanout chute just sets me off.  I am leaning toward welding 3 or 4 short legs(tabs) on the underside to prevent the grate from moving.  No problem to do, we have all I need in our shop here on the farm..I just needed to make sure there wasn't a problem with my egg/grate.  Apparently its just the nature of the beast. 

The worst part of all of this was eyeing that grand XL at the dealers shop.  Sort of like working on a Chevette while a Corvette is sitting beside it.  Really made me envious of you folks with the big eggs.

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Tom - if you have a welder handy like you said then I bet you have power drills and maybe even a drill press. Just set a caliper and mark off 120 degrees so as to find 3 equal distant spots. Drill 3 holes, insert a piece of rod and weld them. When you then invert that grate just put one leg at the back of your firebox and then the other 2 legs will never bother you for clean out. If you didn't see my picture above here it is again. This thing has worked for me now for 14 years so please don't tell me it won't solve your tilting and dumping problem!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • anton
    Options
    @FarmerTom, I tagged you in my post regarding the high-que grate, maybe take a look , hope it helps
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173253/the-high-que-bottom-grate-install-and-my-findings#latest
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    RRP   That is almost exactly what I had in mind.  I was considering having the legs shorter, just long enough to seat against the bottom of the firebox opening and  prevent the grate from tilting,  Glad to know that it works well for you and that I'm not the only one that has found the medium grate to be a problem.       "Great minds think alike."

Tommy 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    This is going to sound crass but I'll put it out there. I have a large and I was having a similar issue. I thought I was putting my grate in correctly with the chamfered edge on the bottom following the contour of the egg. Made sense to me. I had your same issue. I read a post here somewhere to flip it. I did. It " locks" into place much better. I have not had the issue since.
  • THE DRU
    Options
    FarmerTom, fire that welder up. It was good to meet you and thanks to dldawes1 for sending you my way. Let me know when you are ready for that corvette(XL) and I will do you a deal on $$$. By the way, you will love that Rockwood, the first response to your post is stlcharcoal and he is the man behind Rockwood and a great asset to this forum. Mike

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Thanks for your help and cooking suggestions.  I haven't got to try the Rockwood yet.  Wife won't be home til Sunday.  Picked up some country style ribs to cook then.  Using some of my old lower quality stock for short cooks until then.

Tommy