Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today BBQJIM raised an issue...

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Today @BBQJIM raised the issue about using your BGE or not. I replied and tried to get across that using an oven  (or stove even) wasn't a bad thing. OTOH I also tried to convey that I liked to bake cakes on my eggs because I can!
Well...tonight I fixed Shrimp Scampi. Yes I know I could have fixed it in the multiple pans needed if I wanted TO PROVE the point that it COULD be done on a BGE...but why brother? Just the same this meal tonight was kick butt and it isn't even Lent! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Holy cow, that looks tasty!! Recipie?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • RRP
    Options
    XC242 said:
    I will share tomorrow as I have to type it up and right now it's bed time since I have an early dr. appt. tomorrow!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Sounds great, thanks Ron! Hope your appt. goes well.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Looks great Ron

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Seems I wake up now in the middle of the night. That picture is the last thing I need. Wow that looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I agree @Mickey‌ now I'm starved.
    Greensboro, NC
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    No egg??? I bet it tasted disgusting :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    It looks really good Ron!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great, Ron. I'd attack that in a second. I think a lot of new eggers get excited when they find out all the things they can cook on the Egg and different types of cooks and they try and do everything on it. I'll admit I was guilty of that. While there is that cool factor, sometimes its just easier and quicker to do it inside. Like you said "why bother?" I probably could have figured out how to make last night's vegetable beef soup on the Egg, but I had too many other projects to tackle and the stove top was more convenient.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BBQJIM
    BBQJIM Posts: 106
    Options
    I can smell the garlicy goodness of those shrimps swimming in olive oil and spices.  Yes indeed.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I tend to use the egg for cooks that it is uniquely suited.  Sometimes that is for the high temps you can achieve, but usually it is for any food in which you want to impart charcoal or smoke flavor.  And of course the moistness you can get from a closed dome long cook. 

I haven't caught the bug of cooking everything on it when my gas stove or oven will yield the same or better results.  I just don't have the free time so it's not worth the setup time or cost of the lump to cook something on it just because I can.   I probably would if I had more time as it's always nice to cook outside over a fire.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • BBQJIM
    BBQJIM Posts: 106
    Options
    Yes,  my sentiments exactly 
  • RRP
    edited November 2014
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Here's the link: Only variation I make is I cut the recipe in half, but still use a whole pound of medium (51-60) shrimp.Also since I don't typically have the fresh basil and parsley I mix 2 teaspoons of each of ground and then let it seep in the white wine. We love this dish!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    RRP said:
    XC242 said:
    I will share tomorrow as I have to type it up and right now it's bed time since I have an early dr. appt. tomorrow!

Dagum....tasty kitchen is you webpage?