Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to remove hot/greasy platesetter?

Options

I hope many of you have tips on how to remove your platesetter while cooking to set the egg up for searing/direct cooking.    I seem to always have a little grease on the platesetter and of course it is hot (350 - 400) and just cannot find a good way to pull it out.  I would welcome your help, tips, suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Welding gloves and a place to set your setter.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Hey Chris, I bought some of the leather gloves at Academy here in town just for this. It's still hot, but you can handle for short time frame. Need to know where you're going in advance. Also, I always cover the PS with heavy duty foil and change out every few cooks as necessary.
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I have Pit Mitts.  They work well, but ya gotta be quick. 
  • DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    With my Woo 2 CI I can simply lift it out from the handles on top of the Woo, then put the grate back on the fire ring. Did this Sunday.
  • weekender
    Options
    Thanks Jason and all.  WIll get my welding gloves out of my trailer and will use those.  Have also looked at the Woo or AR and hope Santa is good to me this year and brings me one!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You have already received some sage advice! May I add another if you have a four legged member in your family...either make sure he/she is not around as he/she will go toward it like a magnet to iron and suffer a burnt tongue! Or if you have raccoons around like I do they will wait until it is cooled down and then leave you greasy footprints here and there! BTW I too am a firm believer in wrapping the top of my PS with HD foil...at the same time that also means when I remove my hot greasy PS if I were to stand it on edge against something like a deck railing then the deck floor under will have a bad line of grease that will ALWAYS be there. Want to bet why I know that? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Yep, like the above mentioned, heavy welding gloves, and some form of insulative material, eg; fire bricks, trivets, I use upside down drip pans , so you don't burn your deck or top of your wood table.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The Pitt mitts work and also ove gloves to me seem to be a little better than the Pitt mitts and are a little cheaper. You probably get 7-10 seconds before you start getting heat. I keep 2 ove gloves around and I use them every cook. I put them on and stir the lump and take all the accessories out of the egg and they keep my hands clean. Also to remove anything hot.
  • weekender
    Options
    RRP said:
    You have already received some sage advice! May I add another if you have a four legged member in your family...either make sure he/she is not around as he/she will go toward it like a magnet to iron and suffer a burnt tongue! I too am a firm believer in wrapping the top of my PS with HD foil...at the same time that also means when I remove my hot greasy PS if I were to stand it on edge against something like a deck railing then the deck floor under will have a bad line of grease that will ALWAYS be there. Want to bet why I know that? LOL
    Great advice and yes my 2 four legged friends would love to lick the flavor off the platesetter so I usually set it on my unused gaser.   The only other issue is I do usually drip a little grease on the deck.  Will figure out a good place for everything.

• DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    Highly recommend the Woo.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    This is the reason I have added a Kamado Joe Classic to my arsenal (aside from the extra space).   I really enjoy my medium BGE for a lot of the cooking I do, but there are times when I want to cook both direct and indirect.  Could be two different foods (e.g., onions & peppers cooked direct and then kept warm on indirect while the steak cooks).  Or, it could be the same food cooked different ways - TRex or reverse sear.  With KJ's "divide and conquer" system, you don't have to remove place setters.  It gives you the flexibility of your old Weber kettle.  Note that you can add the divide and conquer system to the large BGE, so you can continue to use your egg with enhanced capabilities.  If I had purchased the large BGE, this is what I would have done. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    You got a lot of good advice about the hot platesetter. 

Line your platesetter with heavy-duty foil before heating it up. Keeps your platesetter clean.
    Judy in San Diego
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I levitate mine out using magic.  No fuss, no muss.
    I put mine on the gasser, it makes a nice shelf 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @weekender‌, I use basic cotton potholders. I learned a long time ago working in a blacksmith shop that heat and leather don't mix. Welding gloves work great for shielding slag but not so great holding/handling hot things. We always used cotton gloves. I will say we burned up some gloves, but not our hands. By the time you realize the heat transfer with leather gloves, your burnt. Try using some cheap potholders or oven mitts. image
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Lost my platesetters but for my stones I use channel lock pliers.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
  • stemc33
    Options
    @Hibby‌, I like it. Is it stable? A guy could hold a PS all day without being burned with that thing.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

PS2WOO
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just another option to throw out there...I often don't use my plate setter if I'm doing something like a reverse sear.  If I am cooking a few steaks I use a raised grid and foil or a foil pan to act as a heat barrier.  It is much easier to lift away.  Perhaps it doesn't block the heat as well as the plate setter, but I honestly can't tell a difference if I'm just getting a steak up to 115 or so. 

If I'm just cooking 2-3 steaks, I have a nifty little "steamer rack" with folding legs.  I make a pan out of foil on top of the legs.  When the steaks are done I lift away the rack and the foil comes with it.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @weekender‌, I use basic cotton potholders. I learned a long time ago working in a blacksmith shop that heat and leather don't mix. Welding gloves work great for shielding slag but not so great holding/handling hot things. We always used cotton gloves. I will say we burned up some gloves, but not our hands. By the time you realize the heat transfer with leather gloves, your burnt. Try using some cheap potholders or oven mitts. image
    I am not sure I would be comfortable just using hot pads, maybe if I was wearing two ov gloves.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I use a product called the ove glove

I use 2 of them and they work great!  Can pick up hot grates as well. 

http://www.amazon.com/Ove-Glove-Surface-Handler-Pack/dp/B001EPR98Q
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Here's what I use.....

Kidding!! I don't use a PS right now. I use firebricks. If I know I'm going to need more smoke chunks, I'll build it so I can drop some in from the sides.... I enjoy the bricks and have a lot of use from them!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stemc33
    Options
    I like the method @SmokeyPitt‌ uses. I'll have to try it. Seems better than using the PS for small stuff.
    @Grillmagic‌, the pot pads work great. Better than leather.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I use pitmitts and have never been burned, but the key is to have somewhere safe to set it down as quickly as possible.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Sammi said:
    I like it, simple and elegantly designed - fits in a drawer... wouldn't mind a molded silicone handle on that.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I have that platesetter lifter and it is A-1.
    Judy in San Diego
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've just done one reverse sear on a tri tip and didn't use the platesetter, just a low temp and then fired it up later.  Did I miss something?

Also have a pair of welding gloves that work great.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA