Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stacking Two Briskets on a Large

Options
I normally cook 13-15lb briskets in my large, 225 for 1.5 per pound. Once it is off and cut, it normally does not last long with my usual guests. I am thinking about adding a second rack and putting on a second brisket of the same size. Any advice on this would be appreciated. How much more time should I add to the cook? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GaryLange
    Options
    You should be able to do that on the large Egg. I would not add anymore time as I cook mine until it reaches 170 then wrap it until 195 then in a cooler until 205 or it is nice and tender and a probe goes in easy. Most on here will say cook by feel with the brisket rather then time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You can do two easy if you have an AR or multi-rack set up of some kind. Same cooking time so I'm told. Not sure I could afford cooking 70 to 100 dollars worth in one shot! It would be fun tho. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Should be no problem stacking 2 briskets on a 2-rack system.  I cook multiple meats on two levels all the time. Same cook time...nothing changes in my experience. 

I have an XL, so if I am just cooking 2 briskets, they go side-by-side.

Sometimes I put a butt over a brisket, just for flavor enhancement.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Steve0
    Steve0 Posts: 73
    Options
    I went to the Restaurant Depot today and picked up a 16.8 and a 16.5. They had a 17.4 but it looked like there was a lot to trim on that one. After trimming and adding the dry rub I wrapped them in plastic wrap to set in the fridge overnight. I played with some configurations an how to set this up in the egg tomorrow morning. What do you guys think of the setup? Also worried about my first cold weather brisket. Planning on throwing these on at around 11 am tomorrow I can pull them around 9-10am on Monday. FTC until it's ready to serve.
  • Steve0
    Options
    Sorry, don't know how the pictures came in upside down
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You aren't going to be able to fit a 16lb packer on the top rack. You are going to have to trim 4-5" off the flat on that one to get it to fit.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You won't have an inch of overhang on the top rack. It's really snug in there. You will need to trim it to fit the rack exactly or probably an inch or 2 shorter to account for the tapering of the dome and the height of the brisket. That's going to be a very tight fit.
  • Steve0
    Options
    Uh oh! I usually lift the center of the brisket for the first half of the cook until they shrink. Will this work on the top here or will it put it too close to the dome. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving for an XL.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Steve0 said:
    Uh oh! I usually lift the center of the brisket for the first half of the cook until they shrink. Will this work on the top here or will it put it too close to the dome. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving for an XL.

you are going to be very tight. The reality is that the point is going to have to be closer to the center of the dome so you are going to lose some significant flat to get it to fit.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I was able to get 4 butts on my rig a few weeks back but they were both touching the dome on top and they were both inside the grid area. image
  • Steve0
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks. Will I be able to throw the cut flat on the empty space on the bottom rack? So to sum it up, trim down about 4-5 inches off the top piece? By the way, how did the butts turn out?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Butts turned out really good. I would grind the trimmed flat for burgers. It will be dry if you try to smoke it.
  • Steve0
    Options
    I was able to get the top one on without trimming by folding it over. It is sitting high in the dome. Should I be ok?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yep. You won't have
    Any bArk where it's folded. That's why I just cut it off. Brisket without bark is pot roast :)
  • Steve0
    Options
    Not ideal, but I made an adjustment. Fat side down on the bottom piece and fat side up on the top piece. Nothing touching the side now.
  • Steve0
    Options
    Just checked on it (I know I shouldn't but I'm nervous). Been keeping it at around 200 and it's at 138. Looking good, probably will be ready to pull around 7 or 8 am
  • Steve0
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ok, I'm getting a little worried. I'm at 151 not even 12 hours in. I was hoping around 1.5 hrs per pound. Unless there is going to be a very long stall, it might be a long fTC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Steve0 said:
    Not ideal, but I made an adjustment. Fat side down on the bottom piece and fat side up on the top piece. Nothing touching the side now.

Clever as hell, stolen!  
    Don't worry about it being 151 "already", you haven't hit the stall yet and that will add hours to your time.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Steve0
    Options
    Lessons learned from this cook. The rack system that I used worked good. I'm going to stick with briskets in the 15lb range for my large. These larger pieces extended way to far past the plate setter, leaving some of the ends dry. Also, I don't know if it was the amount of the meat or the colder weather, I was was having problems keeping the heat in the 225 range. I'm leaning on the amount of meat. I will be sticking with single briskets in the large, maybe a 15 and a 10 as an exception, but not 30+. From this experience I have started saving up for an lx next year. Anyone have any good recipies for a whole turkey for Thursdays cook?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Late to the brisket party but congrats on the brisket cook.  I'm sure there were some great eats.  
    Regarding turkey-what follows is a link to quite a popular cook process:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm .  (His main site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info). I don't do the gravy exercise but the turkey cook works well.  Another option is to spatchcock the turkey and go with that cook.  Many recent spatch turkey threads the past few days.  Give the search function go.  
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.