Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Won It in a Raffle

Options
Just joined the forum 'cause I won a large BGE in a raffle 3 days ago.  Wow!  I still can't believe it.  The pkg included the egg in a nest w/side tables, ash tool, grate gripper, and a big bag of lump.  Grilled some beef/venison burgers & some cajun sausage to get started.  The food was good in spite of me.  Looking forward to smoking a boston butt in 2 days.  It's been brining for 8 days.  Tonight I dried it off, then dry rubbed it & wrapped it back up to continue seasoning til Thursday.  Got a bunch of hickory soaking already.  Hoping I can find a way to support my wife's pizza stone under the grill grate until I can go find the diffuser.  Any tips or tricks you folks can think of to pass on?  Thank you for your time.  Shake a veteran's hand tomorrow!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Lucky dude :-bd
    Jacksonville FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice score. Welcome aboard. Lots to read on here so dig in and enjoy.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    You suck!!! Hahaha.

Welcome!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Congratulations on the win. Welcome aboard.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Welcome aboard....won't be long and you'll be driving this freight train

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. Tip #1. Pics or it didn't happen
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Score!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Cooking s Boston butt is easy and fun. A great cook for your first low and slow. Just rub it down, inject it and cook it at 225-250 until it hits 197-203 internal. Please please please don't foil it during the cook. Enjoy!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Sumo1
    Sumo1 Posts: 2
    Options

Will have to work on that one.  Think I must be the last guy in America without a smart phone.  Yeah, that's it...I'm a late adopter.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sumo1 said:

Will have to work on that one.  Think I must be the last guy in America without a smart phone.  Yeah, that's it...I'm a late adopter.  

Welcome my friend. I didn't have a smart phone either until about 4 months ago. The only reason that I bought one was this forum. Congradulations on the egg and welcome aboard.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo! This is a great place to learn.

Tip #2 Don't forget to burp the egg.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome to the club !
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Howdy.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Congrats, what a win!  This forum is an incredible wealth of knowledge, it has saved me countless errors.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Congrats and welcome.  You saved a bundle and you got something that you will enjoy for your entire life.  The stuff that comes off the egg is awesome.  If you need help, this is the place to come.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Congrats, and welcome....... but truth is you won't wont it. I'll PM you an address to send it to. 

:^o
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've seen a pizza stone slung across the pit with wire used for hanging pictures (on a Mini Max).   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • XC242
    Options
    @Sumo1‌, I accidentally flagged you. Sorry dude, I have fat fingers... Anyone know if you can "unflag" a post?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    @XC242 - just go back and re-click the button and it should remove it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • XC242
    Options
    Thanks @GATraveller‌, looks like that worked.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Congrats! I won a small in a FB giveaway and sold it for my large. You are going to enjoy the experience!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Wow what a score!!!  Get yourself a platesetter (ConvEGGtor).  Like they said, a butt is a great way to start low and slow.  I'm just doing my second butt today and kick myself in the ass cause I didn't have one of these years ago

Welcome and enjoy, you will
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day!  Great score.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    You have yet to realize how really lucky your were. Welcome aboard.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I've got a large without the platesetter or "diffuser" as you put it. I went to Northern Tool and got some firebricks to act as my barrier. Cost about 20 bucks for 6. Then I just plop a second grate on top of those to cook the butts. Works like a charm!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Welcome to the journey.
    One tip:  Don't bother soaking chips.....not necessary.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome we like to see lots of food pictures and i dont have a cell phone either
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now