Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking sausage on the BGE?

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I have a request from my nephew to smoke some sausage (made from the meat of a black bear he shot) on the BGE. Joel tells me he has ground and seasoned the meat and has 10 one-pound sausages in their cases, ready for smoking. My first inclination is that it's a cold-smoking process he's after, but I thought I'd better check with you guys to find out if it's something I can do for him on the BGE. I have only grilled sausages, never tried smoking them. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• BGEJeff
    BGEJeff Posts: 54
    Options
    Gretl,
    I just did a bunch (40lbs) of Bambi. Smoked at 180 to 200 dome till internal temp of 160. When you pull them off put them in ice water to bring temp down to under 40. This does two things keeps them out of danger and also keeps the casing tight. If you just let them sit in the fridge/freezer the casing gets all wrinkled. I'm sure you can figure out how I know that.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I would do the hot smoke because of the possibility of trichinosis with bear meat.[p]Toy Man
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    BGEJeff,
    Could you walk me through the setup? I think the sausages my nephew is preparing are cased and ready to hang. How do you accomplish this on the BGE? New territory for me. Also, I am concerned with food safety issues with bear meat; I think the temp has to come up above 160 to kill the trichina parasite. Again, TIA.
    Cheers,
    Gretl