Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey Question

Options
I've been wanting to try out a spatchcock turkey. Going to do it this week. Brine is ready to go, just waiting on turkey to thaw. My Whole Foods didn't have any fresh thawed out turkeys yet.

Mostly everything I've seen is going direct w/o a plate setter. I feel safe using my plate setter. Other than time any reason why I wouldn't want to use my PS?

Thanks

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I usually spatch my chickens. Can't see why turkeys would be any different
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'm curious to hear about this as well.   I haven't done a forum search, but I'd recommend that Landry.  I seem to remember someone spatching a turkey, not having enough room on the grate to lay it flat so they oriented it differently.

Only other question I'd have is if you should do it direct since it is a big bird and would likely be on there longer.  ?

Let us know.  Maybe I'll do a dry run before Thanksgiving...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    I brine then cook indirect with the PS. Turns out great. image
    Edina, MN

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Budgeezer, how long do they take?   I know it depends on the size.  Just asking because chickens seem to take an hour for a wide range of sizes...

Looks good!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It won't be your last so try it both ways. Go with what's comfortable. I'm a direct heat kind of guy when it comes to spatch
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I can't keep a cheekun from burning, direct; with its added mass I'd certainly use a platesetter with a turkey.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I did a 11lber last year raised direct at 375-400ish and if memory serves me correctly it took about 1:45hr.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Landry's Egg
    Options
    I'm probably going to go indirect with the PS. I don't want to take a chance at burning my bird. Also, I don't have anything to raise my grid. Seems thats the technique to use.

Here is a link to how DizzyPig does it and they go direct, 12in away from fire etc. http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/grilling-turkey/ 

I also love catching the drippings to use for bean soup or gumbo. Probably going to cook tomorrow. I'll let yawl know. I also used this method for my brine except I added garlic and oranges. I had them on hand and they needed to be used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ysulA4O1g

KiterTodd, I read up on a couple of your postings recently when I did my Mojo pork. I used some different ingredients. I did the onions and peppers like you did. I haven't had time to post on it yet.
  • Landry's Egg
    Options
    The almost 15lb bird is on. Indirect, temp rolling around 300. Not pictured, I had to pin the wings, they were already starting to char from flame. Just for fun I also cut a onion and apple and placed on grill under the bird. Used DP Raging River. Hopefully a good report in a few hours. 
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    @KiterTodd about 11-13 minutes per pound @ 350 indirect is my ball park estimate.  
    Edina, MN

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Looks great.  What size is your BGE? Doesn't look like you could have done a bird any bigger than 15#.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    looking forward to the finish
  • Landry's Egg
    Options
    I have a Large BGE. 
  • Landry's Egg
    Options
    2-1/2 hours later. It kind of looks burnt. Internal temps for thighs were 180+ and breast were 160+. I hope my brine came through for me. I usually do a Mad Max style turkey with this same brine. Its resting at the moment and will be cutting it shortly. 

I had some deer sausage that I put on in the end. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    2-1/2 hours later. It kind of looks burnt. Internal temps for thighs were 180+ and breast were 160+. I hope my brine came through for me. I usually do a Mad Max style turkey with this same brine. Its resting at the moment and will be cutting it shortly. 

I had some deer sausage that I put on in the end. 
    The general practise with poultry is to put the legs toward the hinge. Hotter there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Landry's Egg
    Options
    Looks like everything worked out. I could've pulled a tad sooner. As Little Steven said above I probably could've positioned the bird better as well. For whatever reason or excitement, I didn't even think about the position. All I was worried about was making sure the majority of the bird was over the drip pan. This was a way easy cook. You have to brine. You must brine. I can't imagine smoking a big  bird and not brining. Also, I had on hand some sharp sheers to cut the backbone out. A knife would've taken a while. 

Had I gone direct I might've burned my cook. I may have to get a raised grid and try direct later.

I shall spatchcock again.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks good. I've done several chickens raised direct with good results, except the skin didn't crisp. Never brined, but they were small. Curious about your bird's skin, crisp or no?
  • Landry's Egg
    Options
    I've only brined turkey. And every time I do it looks like its burnt on the outside but never on the inside. Yes skin gets crispy.
  • Leggo_My_Eggo
    Options
    I appreciate the post Landry.  I am preparing to have the family over for Thanksgiving and wanted to do a test run with a smaller bird.  Did a 14 lbs spatchcock turkey. 350, indirect, 2:15 (165 breast). Cajun injected brine with some John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler rub. I peeked at 1:30 and basted with butter, parsley and garlic. Flavor was incredible. Turned out a little drier than a spatchcock chicken but still much, much better than a normal roast turkey. I was expecting the juices to come out while carving but the board was pretty dry.  We have been eating turkey sandwiches all week and it's still very moist, not dried out at all.

All they had was frozen turkey (took 3 days to thaw) and so I think doing a fresh one will be even better.  I'm looking to do a 21-22 lbs turkey for Thanksgiving and don't think it will be a problem on a Large BGE.  If it overlaps I will install on inverted rack and possibly put some apples and sweet onions underneath there.  

I agree that brining is the key.  Not needed on chicken but a necessity for Turkey.  I will be following this thread up until T-Day! 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I did what Mickey suggested and went raised direct at 400. First time I did at the felt line and it came out good, the next slightly higher and it was perfect. No burning anywhere, skin was crisp and all the meat came to appropriate temps without any icing or crap like that. I did a 12lber in under 2 hours. If your not worried about presentation or stuffing etc, spatchcocking is definitely the way to go no matter how you do it 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    oh ya I injected, but no brining either. Careful with the "fresh turkey" thing too. As someone else mentioned most are just previously frozen, and the price is a lot higher
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never brined anything and now that I am on a low sodium diet for the duration, I never will. Never injected either. That said, I've never done a turkey on the egg, spatched or otherwise. Never had a dried out chicken though. Always very juicy.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience with DRY vs. WET brining turkey on the egg?  TIA
  • Leggo_My_Eggo
    Options
    Sorry, need to clarify.  I actually injected it with "Cajun Injector".

I would like to hear other's thought on DRY brining as well.  
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    poster said:

I did what Mickey suggested and went raised direct at 400. First time I did at the felt line and it came out good, the next slightly higher and it was perfect. No burning anywhere, skin was crisp and all the meat came to appropriate temps without any icing or crap like that. I did a 12lber in under 2 hours. If your not worried about presentation or stuffing etc, spatchcocking is definitely the way to go no matter how you do it 

How much space between the lump and the turkey should you allow?
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    don't suppose anyone's ever tried to caveman a turkey?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I have never brined anything and now that I am on a low sodium diet for the duration, I never will. Never injected either. That said, I've never done a turkey on the egg, spatched or otherwise. Never had a dried out chicken though. Always very juicy.

Michael -- I've read that article a few times now.  I've brined, I've not brined, I've cooked Butterballs.  Seems like they all taste pretty good.  But I've never done side-by-side cooks to compare brined and unbrined meat. 

Has anyone done this --  brine one, don't brine the other.  do everything else the same - rubs/seasonings, and cook on the egg at the same time.  it'd be great to hear how they turn out in the end.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm thinking of changing direction this year.  Before, I've wet brined.  This year, I'm dry brining with salt and a rub for 24 hours, then spatchcock, indirect at 350*, then depending on how the skin looks, direct skin down to crisp at the end, trying to catch any drippings for the gravy; making stock with the neck and back. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Landry's Egg
    Options
    I've never even heard of a dry brine till it was posted on this thread. 

I like your idea of the finish going direct. I wonder if going direct at the end will change your cooking time, and how long do you plan to go direct for? 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm thinking if the skin doesn't crisp up, then I'll flip it for maybe 15-30 minutes.

Ideas for dry brining HERE are HERE.
    I've never even heard of a dry brine till it was posted on this thread. 

I like your idea of the finish going direct. I wonder if going direct at the end will change your cooking time, and how long do you plan to go direct for? 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009