Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Mop or not to Mop

Options
I got my BGE 4 weeks ago and am getting used to the new cooking process.  I've been smoking for a number of years over charcoal and with a propane water smoker.  In that process I would mop the butts etc. on the long 12 hour plus smokes do I do the same on the egg?  As I understand it the egg maintains moisture, so do I need to mop I suppose is what I mean?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I use a spray bottle anytime I want to get the surface "wet" don't know if it really makes much difference and actually probably impedes the cook by opening the dome... on my ow and slows I have a pan of broth below and I imagine that's enough. ...my 2 cents
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Never mopped a butt, but I have mopped ribs, chuck roast, spatched chicken and other things. You are right, the egg retains moisture and with a spooge pan under the butt, it will collect enough fat and water to almost steam the butt for the first half of the cook. 

A fine spray is often better than an actual mop and a lot less messy. I do use the mop when the Weber sees duty. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    IMHO, mopping never added moisture to the inside of the meat, just a nice flavorful crust, and some evaporation. 
    Haven't mopped since I gave up the gasser.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Welcome - depends on what your goal of mopping is, it's my understanding that mopping will help enhance another flavor layer into the meat but if you doing it to help keep the meat moist then don't waste your time as meat is not a sponge and will not suck up moisture into it. If cooking at 225 grate temp then the mopping phase can add significant time to length of the cook. You can always try one mopping and one without and see which way you prefer. Again Welcome to the forum and don't forget to post pics or as they say it didn't happen.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of experience smoking, it'll be fun to see how you translate it to the egg. (I've only done a few butts, and no briskets, so I'll leave the mopping advice to the pros)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome! You'll find a wealth of knowledge (egg specific and otherwise) here. The butts I've done on the egg I have not mopped, nor put any liquid in the pan. The first one I did, even though I knew the temp, I thought was undercooked based on the moisture inside. Juicy is an understatement! That being said, everyone here experiments and we'd love to see your results side by side as mentioned by Mr. Fanatic.

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    the few times i mopped i got less bark and less overall flavor as it seemed to wash  some rub off, but if you wait till near the end of the cook to mop it once you can add rub at that time to refreshen some of the rub flavor. been along time since i used a mop in the egg though, it really isnt that necessary
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BarryJ
    Options
    Thank you all, I decided to keep the egg shut and not mop, I was glad to see how the temperature keeps pretty constant without a lot of attention, although I think in time I can perfect that.  At the moment I am about 5 degrees up and down on 225, but resist the temptation to adjust things.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dude don't even worry about +- 20*. Not gonna hurt a thing and of you start chasing you'll never get it settled. Just relax and have a beverage of your choice. You'll have a lot more fun that way.
  • BarryJ
    Options
    theyolksonyou that's my style of cooking!!!  Thank you.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @BarryJ‌
    Brother Barry, I would like, if I may, to add a note to that verse. But before I do, please be aware that this is just my opinion and what works for me. Opinions may vary or differ. That said, here are my thoughts on mopping. When cooking in the presence of live and burning fire, mopping has and offers some significant advanatages. Example- Offset stick burner. However when cooking with smoldering lump, mopping offers very little other than making a big mess. Example- BGE. Depending on set up, a Kamado cooker utilizes several means of heat transfer to cook. Radiant heat, convective heat/flue gas, reflective heat and heat transfer by the metal grid. Due to its near air tight construction and lack of live fire, a kamado is a very moist cooking environment all on its on. A stick burner is not. Also a off set depending on how it is set up, relys almost solely on draft to cook. Please note that I said almost, not entirely. The blazing fire removes most of the moisture from the air that it is using for combustion in the fire box. This dry and heated air then leaves the fire box and enters the cooking chamber where it transfers heat to the meat via draft. This is why mopping and spritzing is used on off sets. The kamado cookers require neither. The smoldering lump in a kamado removes very little moisture from the incoming air. Hence no mop or spritz required. I hope that this helps my friend. And enjoy that egg.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BarryJ
    Options
    @SGH, that was a perfect.  Thank you.

Well the butt worked out just fine, only thing that I didn't get to was 190 on the thermometer, after 14 1/2 hours I only got to 180 and the chunk of meat was only 10 lbs.  But the important thing is that it shreds and pulls well, tastes amazing and very moist.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    BarryJ said:
    @SGH, that was a perfect.  Thank you.

Well the butt worked out just fine, only thing that I didn't get to was 190 on the thermometer, after 14 1/2 hours I only got to 180 and the chunk of meat was only 10 lbs.  But the important thing is that it shreds and pulls well, tastes amazing and very moist.

At 180 I usually slice and chop. Some pieces can be pulled. Also when it gets to 160 or above you can up the temp to help it get done faster. I have also found that sliced pork is much juicier then pile pork, IMHO. Sounds like it worked out and I have never spritzed, mopped or used a water pan in my egg. Everything comes out juicy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @BarryJ‌
    Glad that it turned out well my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.