Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE real estate - ham and turkey

Options
I realize this is largely dependent upon the size of what I buy at the store, but how feasible is it to smoke a ham AND a turkey simultaneously on a large BGE? Can it be done? Are temps too dissimilar? Thanks all

Comments

• VanDawg38
    Options
    Ambitious.  Spatchcocking the bird might give you enough vertical space.  I don't think temp will be much of an issue.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My spatchcocked 12/13lb turkey is 400 raised direct and my Naked ham is 300 indirect. The turkey only takes about 75/90 min. I would cook the ham first (so much easier to hold) and then cook the turkey. Or convince the wife this is the real reason to have that second Egg. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

Mickey said:
    I would cook the ham first (so much easier to hold) and then cook the turkey. Or convince the wife this is the real reason to have that second Egg.
    Mickey said it best...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I am with Mickey on this. While the ham in the cooler then do the spatched turkey. Here is a twist on the spatched bird: get the 2 largest tossaway AF pans that fits on your egg, place all your root veggies in pan, add cup of good white wine, herbs of choice, place grate on top of pan and the place turkey on grate. The reason for 2 tossaway AF pans, because the pan is so close to the coal the veggies can burn (VOE). Make a a foil snake, place in the pan then add the other pan with all the goodies. Air layer between pans prevents burned veggies.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If you have an AR, with a spider and stone, I believe you could do it if you do a smaller spatchcock turkey and ham.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • clintmiller
    Options
    I'll be doing the turkey on the LBGE and ham on my $60 jumbo joe + $30 height extender.
  • Nativetexan
    Options
    Thanks all. I'll probably do the ham first, FTC it and then do the bird....