Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Reverse Sear Ribeye

Options
GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
Bought a couple of nice ribeyes from Patton's Meat Market and decided to give the new Lodge CI griddle a try.
Hit steaks with Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning while getting egg to settle around 250. 

Ran them raised indirect at 250 until they hit 110 degrees internal (about 45 minutes) then pulled the PS and opened the egg up to 600 degrees with grid and CI griddle on fire ring.  Once there I dropped the steak on the CI with some EVOO and butter for 90 seconds per side.

After searing both sides they were a perfect 131 degrees IT.

Have to say these were the best steaks I've done to date.  The CI sear creates an amazing crust that rivals any steakhouse.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Thats the perfect way to do it - so purdy - I am starving now! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    45 minutes seems like a very long time to get from 70 to 110... 

Steak looks damn good, so does that granite counter.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome looking steaks.  CI is definitely a great way to go for a great crust.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    Options
    @DieselkW - egg may have been closer to 225 than 250.  However, it DID take longer to get to 110 than expected.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @DieselkW - thanks.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Yum!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    love the CI crust