Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does the Mini Max low & slow??

I have an XL and a Medium Egg and know what to expect on charcoal consumption throughout a low and slow cook. I wanted to test the Mini Max. 

Does the Mini Max low & slow? I say yes! 

I filled my fire bowl with some Carbon Del Sur charcoal. (First bag and I wanted to test it. I used zero smoking wood bc this was a charcoal test) I rolled a rack of St Louis cut spares and was surprised with the room still left. The Mini Max smoked an entire 6 hours at 250 and I had half of the lump left afterwards. I was really concerned about having to refill the coal on the MM due to it's shallow fire bowl, but it seems like it's a non-existent issue. 

Very happy with the Mini Max so far!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Thanks for the report. I've been wondering this. The longest I have gone on my Small is 16 hours. I assumed the MM couldn't go quite as long, but 6 hours with only using 1/2 a load is impressive.

It would still be a pain for a large-ish butt that needs more than 12 hours, but would be doable to add more lump at some point in the cook.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Looks great. I can't wait to get my MM when I get my tax return.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Agreed. Thanks for the report. :-bd
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tcracing
    What kind of controller is that?
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • DMW said:
    Thanks for the report. I've been wondering this. The longest I have gone on my Small is 16 hours. I assumed the MM couldn't go quite as long, but 6 hours with only using 1/2 a load is impressive.

It would still be a pain for a large-ish butt that needs more than 12 hours, but would be doable to add more lump at some point in the cook.

I was really impressed. The fire bowl is a whopping 2-1/2 (ish) deep. 
  • tcracing said:
    What kind of controller is that?
    That's the Flame Boss 100. 
  • tcracing
    Is it as good as the DigiQ?
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • tcracing said:

Is it as good as the DigiQ?

I've never cooked with a Guru so I can't compare.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    @ BIG GREEN CRAIG....Good looking setup....and good looking ribs !!!!

I also want to get a MM or small....haven't made up my mind yet. 

Thanks for posting,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very nice. How you liking the new FB100? I wanted to use it on some ribs this weekend, but just didn't have the time. Have you used their older model to compare it to?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Thank you for the post. Being told next week to Central Texas
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    nice post - love the solid/compact look of the mini max.  Looks sturdy enough to hold its own at a rowday tailgate with footballs flying around . . perfect.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • I have used the Flame Boss in competition as well as Gurus...both perform extremely well.  
  • Griffin said:
    Very nice. How you liking the new FB100? I wanted to use it on some ribs this weekend, but just didn't have the time. Have you used their older model to compare it to?
    I really like it so far. I have used it 3 times now and wanted to get a good feel with it before posting any type of formal review, but so far so good. I like the fact that all of the temps/info is on the main screen; i.e. pit temp, food temp, timer, etc.  Unfortunately, this is my first blower and cannot compare it to anything else. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    You never forget your first Blower....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466

2.5" deep?  If so...I can't believe you got so long out of it.

Be curious to see how you like the MM.   Also nice that your blower seems to adapt easily to different eggs.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd said:

2.5" deep?  If so...I can't believe you got so long out of it.

Be curious to see how you like the MM.   Also nice that your blower seems to adapt easily to different eggs.

Terrible picture, but the tape is flat on the fire grate
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Terrible picture, but the tape is flat on the fire grate
    Damn!  That is shallow.  Just a hair over 2"

I guess they made it work, though, based on your results.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ how did you like that lump? I've got an unopened bag, waiting to use up the RO?
  • Lowflyer said:
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ how did you like that lump? I've got an unopened bag, waiting to use up the RO?
    I probably have 15 bags of RO in waiting, but I wanted to give it a try. Every piece is nice size and it burns super clean. I might buy another bag! 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @lowflyer the carbon del Sur was fine when I used it for a low and slow but I did burgers tonight and it pops really bad. I cooked a Costco mac and cheese prior to the burgers with the plate setter in and it popped so much there was ash on the mac and cheese. Also I have never ever before seen sparks make it out the bottom vent and I saw multiple tonight. I won't be getting any more.
  • Lit said:
    @lowflyer the carbon del Sur was fine when I used it for a low and slow but I did burgers tonight and it pops really bad. I cooked a Costco mac and cheese prior to the burgers with the plate setter in and it popped so much there was ash on the mac and cheese. Also I have never ever before seen sparks make it out the bottom vent and I saw multiple tonight. I won't be getting any more.
    I seared some filets last night at 600F and did not experience the sparks. Gary and Jason from Roswell Hardware mentioned that the manuf has gone through several updates to their process. Is it possible that you had an older bag? 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I once had 2 bags of RO that sparked so bad I could not finish them, I think you can get a bad lot sometimes but that doesn't mean they will all pop like that.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ I just got it like 2 weeks ago. I have never seen anything like the way this was popping. It wasn't just sparks there were loud cracking sounds with noticable sized chunks flying around.
  • Big_Green_Craig,

Thanks for your photo of the front of the MM.  I want to buy a small unit that is portable so I can take it camping.  I looked at the Joe Jr, but have waited to buy until the MM comes to my dealer.  based on your photo, if portability is important to me, then the MM will be worth the extra $$.  The joe Jr sits so high in its stand that I think it would need to be removed from it to haul in the back of the van without fear of it falling over an breaking.  The MM sits low in it's carrier, and the base looks wider. It also looks like it is cradled much more secure than the Joe Jr.

Some have said that the plate setter is too close to the grille for low and slow.  Do you think that it is?  My dealer still does not have them, but he says he will have them by black Friday.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Lit said:

@Big_Green_Craig‌ I just got it like 2 weeks ago. I have never seen anything like the way this was popping. It wasn't just sparks there were loud cracking sounds with noticable sized chunks flying around.

What trickery is this :-?
    What brand lump? That's crazy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit

It was the Carbon Del Sur. I used it before and noticed some sparking lighting it but thats normal but I never took it really hot. When I took it hot yesterday it was crazy. I may have just got a bad bag or maybe it picked up some humidity being open for 2 weeks but it was in the garage. It was nice and dense and burne slow and from what I hear they have the large bags at restaurant depot for like $8 so I really wanted it to be good. I still have 5 plus pounds so I will atleast finish the bag.

• fsumble said:
    Some have said that the plate setter is too close to the grille for low and slow.  Do you think that it is?  My dealer still does not have them, but he says he will have them by black Friday.
    I smoked a whole rack of spares on Sunday with no problem. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Interesting @Lit‌
    Maybe a lump thing VS Max thing. I'll be testing it out soon enough. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 6hrs only half used lump? hmmmmmmm usually i have very very little to spare in the KJ but setup is different and also BigGayCraig BigGreenCraig may be just a wizard.....good job and nice write up.... I wish i could get more out of the kj jr....
    Beaufort, SC