Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meeting the Daughter's new Boyfriend

Options
2»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Have your CCW poking out a lil bit while egging and just give " the look". Ribs look fantastic.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    FWIW we have a Son and no daughters. Something tells me I'd be Cray Cray if I had a daughter. But, maybe I'm wrong. I'm a old soul but, I do have tattoos and I assure you I'm a hopeless romantic and treat my wife like the Spanish Queen she is. With that hopefully your daughter has found a great guy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have sons...not sure how I would be with a daughter. Good luck!
    That's my situation as well.  Instruct them to treat their dates the way they would want someone to treat their sister, mother, best female friend they have etc.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

When the day comes I plan to be cleaning my guns when he shows up.

Funny story.

First time I met my now FIL, he walked into the room and put his hand out to shake mine. Just before we made contact, he said "oh, hold on a sec" and reached for his right leg. I thought he had an itch or something so I wasn't looking down. I looked at my now wife and she smirked at me. Next thing I know, there is a gun in an ankle holster pointed toward me on the counter.

Needless to say, good thing I had a change of pants.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    =)) ^^^^
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Those are gorgeous looking ribs and a real cutie of a granddaughter, so cool to see her eating BBQ.  Love those grandkids.  Glad I'm long past the meeting the boyfriends. 

@socaltim Harry Reid doesn't need to worry about the senate leadership anymore, thank goodness. Although good on him for standing up.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    When you meet him for the first time, just tell him "You make my daughter cry, I'll make you cry". Always a good icebreaker. Enjoy your dinner
  • HeathCave
    Options
    grege345 said:
    What if says his favorite ribs are from TGIFridays after you feed him?
    Now THAT is hilarious.  =))
    Just chillin' and lovin' the eggin' life! Facebook • My Graphic Design Website
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Oh, I did tell him that we would be cool as long as he treated my daughter & granddaughter like princesses and if not we would have problems.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The ribs look jam up for sure. Fine little grand daughter you got there as well. I feel your pain brother. If someone wrongs one of the females in my family, it just does something to me. I will do my very best to leave them laying in a bloody pile on the floor. I believe whole heartily in defending those who can't defend themselves. Especially the females. Again great looking ribs and keep a good eye on that guy. Let him know that you are ever watchful my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Teedoff
    Options
    When he shows up for the next date, toss a shotgun shell to him. Then tell him after curfew it will be coming a lot faster.
    Decatur, AL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My daughter is 13 and when the day comes for her to date I am going to tell him, "Son just remember I am not afraid to go back to prison". 

I think that will work. 
    John,

These 10 simple rules have, and continue to, serve me well.

(1. If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

2. You do not touch my daughter in front of me or matter in fact at all. She is trained in solid grappling blood choking techniques. A straight arm is a broken arm.   You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck.   If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

3.   I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips.   Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots.   Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object.   However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

4.   I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you.   Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

5.    It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day.   Please do not do this.   The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."

6.    I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls.   This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter.   Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

7.    As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget.   If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating.   My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge.   Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

8. The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool.   Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight.   Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay.   Old folks homes are even better.

9.  Do not lie to me.   I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been.   But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe.   If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. There is a GPS in your trunk and I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house.   Do not trifle with me.

10.   Be afraid.   Be very afraid.   It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi.   When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home.   As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight.   Speak the perimeter password: announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside.   The camouflaged face at the window is mine.)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm a charter member of DADD. Dads Against Daughters Dating. Our motto is, "shoot the first one and word will spread". I recommend that you and other dads of daughters google "application to date my daughter". Print it out and leave it where she will find it. It's hilarious. It's also good to be cleaning your guns when he arrives.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Speaking as a dad of a dating age daughter, I love those rules! I don't have five acres behind the house so I will have to tweak them a bit.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Enjoy the day, the ribs look great and all the best to your two baby girls - they never out grow that, any more than you can out grow being a Dad who cares. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome ribs. I hope the boyfriend turns out OK. If not he may meet a bunch of dudes who call themselves eggheads but own firearms and have no sense of humor when it comes to daughters done wrong.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Trust the girl, she has been raised right and can make good decisions all on her own.

If she makes a few mistakes, all the better she has a dad that has her back.

Outstanding ribs - meaty and pink at the edges... she shows her intelligence and common sense by requesting you make those.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Nice looking ribs.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Shouldn't HE be bringing the ribs or something?
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Ribs look great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments guys!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    She should of brought him over as you were prepping things . You answer the door with apron on and sharp knife in hand . Or just finishing up cleaning your gun and letting the slide slam back. I'm sure either one would get his attention in a hurry. Good luck!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    My girls are both married-one to a great person, the other...
    The good one and I just spent a few days together at Daytona, and had planned to go to the keys together, but rain stopped us. He is like my own.
    Good luck. Nothing you do will make a big difference in the end. Kids grow up and live their own lives. At least they should. I did.

Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    Great-looking ribs, I'm sure he's impressed.

Next time, show him how you spatchcock a chicken.
    With a cleaver.
    That oughta keep things golden for six weeks or so.  
    :D

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month