Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for ideas for a Salmon cook

I'm looking for ideas on the seasoning/marinade. What's your favorite?? I got some Wild caught Salmon for Costco. Thanks in Advance for the help!
Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    My favorite is cedar plank with ragin river rub. Easy peasy, and delicious.
  • @pgprescott‌ thanks! I've got all that stuff. Wife doesn't really like Salmon, so I've got to impress her.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Brine the salmon in water with salt and a nice dollop of maple syrup and brown sugar. (1 gallon, 1 cup, 1 cup is the rule with chicken, but I wouldn't want that much sugar on my salmon, just a couple of tablespoons each, adjust for water proportion.)

The maple will give you a nice looking raw filet, a little shine on it.

Cedar plank, 225f indirect until you see little white "zits" on the filet - that's the fat coming out. It should feel like the pad of your thumb when it's touching your middle finger. 30 minutes or so.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• @DieselkW‌ how long do you brine for?? I'm assuming you don't rinse after the brine!!! Sounds good!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I highly recommend Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze It was from one of Bobby Flay's first shows way back when. It was the first thing I made when we got the BGE. I made it for my Uncle and Cousin in my post Small BGE goes Camping they are from Alaska and it ranked up there with the best they've had! 

I also just made it a couple weeks ago with some white salmon and king salmon my cousin brought back from Alaska. I like to leave the skin on and put some of the glaze before, then save some to put on the fish after. 

Give it a try, you'll be glad you did! It is especially good to help convert those who don't think they like salmon.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • @Solson005‌ a couple questions!! What is the ratio of brown Sugar to mustard? What type of mustard? Sounds great. Thanks
  • @Solson005‌ just went to the other thread and now see the recipe! That Kayak trip looks amazing! Thanks
  • Solson005
    Sure thing, we try and go back up there to kayak a couple times a year. It is a great place! 

Happy egging! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @StillSmoken‌, you'll definitely want to rinse after brining. I've made that made mistake before. I grill direct using apple chips no planks. A little smoke is all it takes. I keep it simple, but if your feeding someone who is on the fence, I'd add a glaze or sauce. Also, presentation could also tilt the meal in your favor from just okay to great since we taste with eyes first. That shot that @DieselkW‌ screams eat me. Good luck with your choice, so many great ideas out there.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • @stemc33‌ thanks for the input. I as well like very simple. I decided to go with the Glaze that solson005 recommended because my wife is on the fence about Salmon. No pics but the results were fantastic. It was a win, she liked it and requested to cook it again.
  • Solson005
    That's great to hear. I'm sure there are other recipies to try, but that glaze is so good I stick with that recipe! =P~
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Raging river rub and cedar plank for me too. But lately I have just been blackening in a cast iron skillet and family really likes it.
    Greensboro, NC