Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Cherry for smoke?

Has anyone out there used wild black cherry for smoke?  Here on our farm in Ky. we have no apple, pecan, or mesquite, but plenty of oak, hickory and wild cherry.  Had to cut a down cherry off of a fence yesterday and got to wondering how it might work for smoking.  One concern I have is that I know that wilted cherry leaves are toxic to cattle.  Green or dry are no problem, just when a tree falls, the leaves can kill cattle if they eat too much in the wilt stage.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother Tom, the wild cherry is identical in flavor profile to tame cherry. You can not tell any difference at all. Wild cherry wood used for smoking has no harmful affects at all. It's perfecly safe. Use it at will my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    I forgot to say that yes, I have burned tons of it myself. It's a great wood.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Will it smoke OK before it is seasoned?  What I have now still has a lot of moisture in it.  Will soon have had my egg for a year and am enjoying trying different wood for smoke.  Cooked a boston butt last weekend(got it free at reopening of local Kroger store.)   Best cook I have done yet.  Have a small brisket I will be smoking in the morning.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I don't know anything about creating wood chunks, but cherry wood is awesome with chicken and pork. I usually use a combination of cherry and apple. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SGH
    @FarmerTom‌- If you are burning it in a offset, then it's fine to burn it green. If you are going to burn it in your egg, then be careful. It's very, very easy to over smoke on a ceramic Kamado with green or unseasoned wood. But it certainly can be done. Just be mindful of the amount that you use. Other than that, no problem at all my friend.

Status- Standing by.