Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip tonight

Grass finished Tri-tip tonight. Great thing about a tri-tip is you can always find a doneness level to your liking. Kinda weird cutting because the grain of meat goes in different directions. Overall, it's one of my favorites.
imageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• That meat looks really good. Can't get tri tip round here.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great. I agree you have to watch the grain and slice accordingly. A great cut of beef.
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    That meat looks really good. Can't get tri tip round here.

I think the tri-tips get sent West.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks excellent brother stem. Tri-tip is one of my favorites.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Thanks @SGH‌, I really like that they're easy to cook and I get the grass-finished tri-tips for $6.50lb. compared to $14.00lb. for a grass-finished ribeye. Another plus is that I've never screwed up a tri-tip, but have screwed up several ribeyes.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    That's a great looking steak. I've never made tri tip. I can't believe you get anything grass finished for that price!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • stemc33
    edited November 2014
    Thanks @blind99‌. We have a lot of Ranchers were I live. Several ranchers let their beef free range in the mountains and sell at auction to be finished on grain lots, but a few do it right and let them finish out on grass.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2014
    Can't beat a tri tip for a quick cook and lot's of flavor. That one looks awesome Stem!!!
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • blind99
    @stemc33‌ I'm with you. I know there's a lot to debate about grass vs grain finished. But beef that's totally grass fed can have some really unique and subtle flavors.
  • stemc33
    blind99 said:
    @stemc33‌ I'm with you. I know there's a lot to debate about grass vs grain finished. But beef that's totally grass fed can have some really unique and subtle flavors.

I'm definitely not a health food junky, at least not at present. I try to go healthy every now and then, but I stumbled across grass-finished beef this summer and really like it. I guess it's just a bonus that it's healthier(so they say, I imagine PETA has another take on it).
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Excellent looking, nice cook!
  • Awesome Tri...I am with you also one of my favorite..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Dude, Great job on that Tri, we love them here in Cal and I eat them all the time!! I hear you about the slicing, even more challenging than a brisket. You just keep turning it and slicing, turn and slice!!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Would love to Find one of those areound here. Fantastic looking cook sir.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    So, is Tri Tip compared to steak? I want to try it but I have never eaten nor cooked. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Looks really great! Great job!  One of my favorite cuts to make. Love to add oak chunks for smoke.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Tri Tip should be available by order to any butcher in your local supermarkets. Most meat managers don't want to special order anything, but a good meat manager will. Our local Stauffers ordered some for me and then found that lots of other people want them also. They now carry them regularly and put them on sale every few weeks.  They also carry other harder to get cuts like Picanha and Shoulder Tenders.

Try several markets and speak directly to the meat manager.  If they get some in, be sure to spread the word to friends so the manager will see some sales.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • That looks EGGcellent!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    Wow! Pure $$$ shots! Excellent work :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    GATABITES said:

So, is Tri Tip compared to steak? I want to try it but I have never eaten nor cooked. 

@GATABITES‌, some consider it a steak and others a roast. Regardless of what people call it, the tri-tip is great on the grill. It averages about 2lbs. in size and is packed full of flavor. It's approximately half the price of ribeye and much easier to cook. Tri-tip is cut from the bottom sirloin and there is only two per cow.

Trying this cut is well worth it. I suggest picking one up since it's inexpensive and give it a try. Just read through some recipes and go for it. It's best if you pull the meat when the center is Med rare. The ends will probably finish out at med to med well. Taking the steak past that will result in lost flavor. Slice thin against the grain and enjoy.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • blind99
    Hey Stem, or anyone else out there who cooks tri tip - I'm planning to cook my first tri tip tonight.  planning to give it some mickey's rub - grill direct at 350-400 to an internal temp to 125.  does that sound reasonable?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    That's one FINE looking cook there @stemc33. Your pictures are making me hungry.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • stemc33
    edited January 2015
    @blind99‌, you should be fine. Just let it sit out on the counter to let it warm some prior to cooking. When I cook with direct only, I flip and rotate about every 3 minutes. Have a plan to go indirect or raise off the coals if the outside starts getting done more than you want. I just use salt, pepper, and garlic. Slice very thin against the grain.

After tonight, you'll be another person driving the price up on this cut. Enjoy. Don't forget the pics.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2015
    @blind99, your plan sounds good.  I would go for the lower end of 35-400 and make sure you use a thermometer.  You can always crank up the heat at the end.

Seasoning them up like the briskets I've seen here is what I usually do.  No marinade!!!

@stem33, that's a fantastic tri tip cook there, I wish I had taken mine out of the freezer yesterday now I'm want it tonight instead of tomorrow.

Cold leftovers sliced deli thin make primo sandwitches Tri Tip sliced up into steaks first is pretty darn good eating too.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • blind99

thanks for the advice, @stemc33 and @logchief

butcher also got me a tongue, and possibly some rock mountain oysters.  I may need to pick up a strong beer to wash this meal down with!!!

• stemc33
    You'll like the Rocky Mountain Oysters. You just need to yell out "I'm a bad ass, I eat bull nuts" before you take a bite.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    :-&

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA